Sign in to follow this  
pwscott

Recording Videos and Screen Shots in P3D 2.X

Hi there. Still feeling new to the shift to P3D despite having had all versions along the way here. I always used Fraps in FSX and X-Plane...is that what you all are using for video and screen captures? 
I am a little stumped trying to find an 'Enable' key to map and a 'Disable' key. The default of F9 is not good...I tried PRINT SCREEN and Pause/Break...didn't seem to start the recording though and nothing recorded/ Suggestions and insight appreciated.

Thanks.

Phil

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

I actually use Open Broadcaster which is the tool I use for Streaming on Twitch.tv for all my flights but you can also set it to record video too and assign your own hotkeys to start and stop recording.   For screen capping I have Reshader + SweetFX 2.0 running and the PrintScrn button by default takes a nice 1920 x 1080 PNG file.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I looked at OBS....I think I will stick with Fraps...but can someone clue me in on unused keys I can map for enable and disable?

Open Broadcaster

I looked at OBS....I think I will stick with Fraps...but can someone clue me in on unused keys I can map for enable and disable?

Just saw this and will try it http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/how-can-i-use-fraps-successfully-in-p3d-v2-2/

what you all are using for video and screen captures?

Hi Phil,

I use nVidia's ShadowPlay (free and comes with nVidia drivers) for recording video (and audio, also ATC audio feeds from a 2nd computer) because it has very minor impact on performance.

For screen captures I use Clipmate (http://www.thornsoft.com/) ... PrtScn and Alt+PrtScn ... will just keep saving images (or anything) to it's own list/database and you can then select/review and export to PNGs, JPG, etc.

I have and still do use FRAPS but only for logging FPS/timeframes to file.

I use the Ctrl+F12 key to toggle ShadowPlay or FRAPS recordings.

Cheers, Rob.

I use Bandicam and Bandicut to record in HD mp4 format. Hardly any impact on frame rates. A 14 minute recording ia approx 1.1 Gb can be compressed further using Handbrake.

@Rob

How do you get Shadowplay to see Prepar3d.exe as a supported game? I pointed it to the proper folder ("P3D_root") and ask it to check.

Thanks much

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I also use Nvidia Shadow play.. but to me.. the biggest pain.. is that to record videos for Youtube at 1920x1080.. i have to switch to single screen mode (or record the playback in the flight recorder then re-do the flight on single screen).. I run 3 screens 5760x1080.. if only there was a magic way to have it record/stream downsize.. but thats impossible i assume, due to the ratio differences.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

How do you get Shadowplay to see Prepar3d.exe as a supported game?

Hi Dave,

You don't need to point ShadowPlay to any exe and it doesn't require a supported game.  Just turn Shadow play on and set it to manual mode and assign keyboard short cut (Ctrl + F12):

8d14b17199bec9fd41b31dfe316136b2.jpg

Be sure to disable Twitch.

Cheers, Rob.

Very helpful response Rob, thanks!

Hi Phil,

I use nVidia's ShadowPlay (free and comes with nVidia drivers) for recording video (and audio, also ATC audio feeds from a 2nd computer) because it has very minor impact on performance.

For screen captures I use Clipmate (http://www.thornsoft.com/) ... PrtScn and Alt+PrtScn ... will just keep saving images (or anything) to it's own list/database and you can then select/review and export to PNGs, JPG, etc.

I have and still do use FRAPS but only for logging FPS/timeframes to file.

I use the Ctrl+F12 key to toggle ShadowPlay or FRAPS recordings.

Cheers, Rob.

It's hidden behind the Shadowplay control panel in Rob's screenshots, but ensure that 'Allow desktop capture' is checked. It is right under the image of the computer monitor on the Shadowplay preferences tab.

but ensure that 'Allow desktop capture' is checked.

Oh good catch, yes very important to check that option.

Cheers, Rob.

@Rob,

And to be able to enable that 'Allow desktop capture' option, you must have Aero enabled! (I didn't - and it took a while to figure that out - should be mentioned there on the checkbox)

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

When I try to record using the recorder in P3DV2 it does not record my GPS screens and radios in the cockpit. they are just blank.

The built in P3D recorder has a few issues (you don't see PMDG MFDs either) ... I've brought this to LM's attention many moons ago, but it seems it's a very low priority for them.

Cheers, Rob.

I use Nvidia Shield as well. I have it write out to my NAS instead of hitting my SSD's(changed both the temp and destination directories to the network folder). It works really well and there doesn't seem to be a performance hit. My NAS has four bonded gigabit interfaces using LACP on a small business Cisco switch so there is plenty of bandwidth for shadowplay as well as all of my other clients hitting the NAS for backups, streaming video(Plex) as well as cloud backup etc etc etc. 

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png