Sign in to follow this  
Anthony1968

Progressing to Jets

When I originally started flying in FSX my primary interest was the default Boeing 737. I later decided to actually learn to fly and subsequently spent a lot of time flying the Realair Lancair Legacy and A2A's C172. 

I'm now interested in getting into the virtual B738 cockpit once again. The default aircraft no longer interests me after the realism of the Legacy and the C172 but the PMDG offering is VERY intimidating. I've done a few searches for some basic "introductory" type offerings but really don't know what to opt for.

I would appreciate some input from those in the know. My knowledge of FSX is quite good and have good IFR skills. What I don't want right now is a something that emulates every switch and nuance of the 737 as I fear the learning curve would put me off.

Any tips????

PMDG 737

It is as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

Honestly, the PMDG 737 is really not that difficult. There are some great videos on Youtube you can watch to help and the tutorials that come with the PMDG's are good. You could also sign up to a service such as Angle of Attack if you wanted to go that far. There are some little tricks I had to learn, such as manually controlling the speed when coming in to approach, that tripped me up a little at first, but apart from that it's a nice place to fly.

You find out pretty quickly that unless you have a failure, a fair few of the switches are rarely touched

The PMDG 738 is certainly one of the most complex airplanes you can get for FSX. That being said, it can make your life easy because it comes we pre-defined stages. For instance, if you load "ready for takeoff", you could simply depart and fly it manually. On the other hand, if you load "cold and dark", you will have to go through a whole bunch of procedures before the plane will do anything. If I recall correctly, the amplified checklist for the full normal procedures during a flight is 150 pages long :)

The biggest difference (apart from flight dynamics) to a good GA plane lake the A2A Cessna 172 is probably programming the FCDU. Without this step, flying the 738 would hardly be realistic and you might be better off with an earlier version of the 737 without FCDU. There are some excellent older models (737-200, for instance) out there.

However, using the FCDU is much more modern and also a lot of fun when you know what to do. And as has been said by other posters, there is a lot of help available for the PMDG 738. 

If you don't feel ready for the 738, the Aerosoft A320 might be an alternative. It fly-by-wire system makes it very easy to fly, but you would still have to learn how to program the FCDU.

Cheers,

Peter

I'd agree with the general thrust that the NGX is only as hard as you let it be.  Start by not holding yourself to strict procedures.  Baby steps.  Hand flying by eyeball first, then start introducing the rest in stages.

Alternatively, you can approach it like a real airline progression.  SEP (which you are doing now), light twin (e.g. RealAir Dukes), Short haul turboprop (e.g. Majestic Q400), short haul jet (NGX/A320).  Now unlike RL there's no cost advantage to circuit bashing in a light twin, and obviously the aircraft I've named are just examples and by no means the only options, but if you really don't want to tackle the NGX yet, I would suggest going for something smaller and higher quality rather than plumping for "NGX-lite".....

Quality Wings 757, a great 'middle of the road' plane, check their website for the manual to help make a decision

Jay

Are you dead set about needing, wanting, or having a VC? If not, maybe the freeware 787 or the 737NGX from TDS would be a good 1st jet for you. Add one of the many Panels that are out there, and you'll have the foundation for learning jets.

Just a thought...

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I would definitely go for the Aerosoft A318/319 or the A320. The best thing about it is that you have a copilot who can take over a lot of the tasks.You can then do more complicated things as you learn. As Peter has said in a previous post, the main thing  thing is learning how to program the flight management system.