Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

ORBX FTX Region General Question

Hi,

I am new to the whole custom scenery "world".  I believe I know the answer but wanted to confirm.  Are the FTX regions basically a product of the ORBX Global and LC and Vectors that have been gone over with and edited for a specific region along with adding in some "extras".  I also assume there is no benefit to owning the ORBX Global and LC if you own the region and don't plan on flying outside of the region.

Thanks for the insight.

Brett

Are the FTX regions basically a product of the ORBX Global and LC and Vectors that have been gone over with and edited for a specific region along with adding in some "extras".

No.  They are completely independent of these and have their own textures, land class and vector data.

I also assume there is no benefit to owning the ORBX Global and LC if you own the region and don't plan on flying outside of the region.

Yes, you assume correct.  If you don't leave a region, no need for the others.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I don't think anyone outside of Orbx will be able to tell you whether they started from Global/LC/Vector and tweaked from there, but you are correct when you say that there zero benefit to Global/Vector/LC unless you fly outside the FTX region, as the FTX product includes tweaked equivalents of all the layers the Global/Euro LC products provide, plus some custom buildings/photo real sections (dependent on product).

In summary, if you never fly outside the FTX region, don't buy their global products.

Please someone correct me in i'm wrong: 

You need Global Base anyway to have FTX Central.   FTX central is your Orbtx command station, controls all your scenery and your updates.  

I only fly short and low, because of this i use Regions,  there a complete package.  If your going to buy Orbtx International airports its recommended to have Global base installed.  Sure some say they work fine without it but either way the global base is a lovely little upgrade from the default scenery. 

Hi Brett

I concur with what was said above adding however that Orbx is now also releasing smaller detailed regions to enhance their Global+Vector world (Palm Springs, Sedona, PNG, Samoa,...)

OrbX has an introduction to their product lines here (I hope that Avsim accepts that kind of link, not sure...). I encourage you to visit their forum where an active and friendly users community may help you to find out what is good for you :lol: ! I'll be there !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

You need Global Base anyway to have FTX Central.   FTX central is your Orbtx command station, controls all your scenery and your updates.  

I only fly short and low, because of this i use Regions,  there a complete package.  If your going to buy Orbtx International airports its recommended to have Global base installed.  Sure some say they work fine without it but either way the global base is a lovely little upgrade from the default scenery. 

No, you don't need FSX Global in order to get FTX Central, pretty much any Orbx region will give you FTX Central.

Cheers :rolleyes:

You need Global Base anyway to have FTX Central. 

You're wrong :smile: . If you buy a fat region without having Global, you get Central too which basically is a switching plateform between textures sets and an updater.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

You're right in saying you don't need Global base or Vector to use a region but, I fly a lot in the PNW and found that they did enhance the regions smaller airports.  I also use FSGlobal2010 and several of their add-on airports.  Since I live in Oregon and have flown into a lot of the smaller places from Alaska down to

Baja California I'm very pleased with what I see.  The only thing I don't like, is that with passage of time things have changed. :rolleyes:

Thanks Guys!

After finishing building my cockpit, I had been teetering between going with XP-10 and P3D and decided to take the plunge with P3D.  Downloaded it tonight and have been very impressed not only with the performance but the detail as well.  I am debating between getting the Northern California or Pacific Northwest FTX regions right now :-)  

I would go with the Pacific Northwest, beautiful area with a lot of additional airports developed for it....

I've both and both are a joy to fly, knowing that Norcal released in 2014 benefited from a more mature know-how than PNW which was their first North America scenery few years back. These are not the same kind of landscape though. Have a look at Google Earth to make up your mind. 

Dominique

Can I ask a quick question here? I bought FTX Global when it was on sale, and am glad I did. But right now, it's all I have. SO - next step please? I live, and fly, almost all of my time in the U.S. with the exception of the few tutorials for the various PMDG fleet. But exactly which ORBX items would be beneficial to me right now? I know about the various little airports scattered here and there, but are there any that would be classified as "must have"?

I love the difference in the textures between the FSX and the Mega Scenery Earth items, and have stopped using MSE entriely. So I'm open to exploring the ORBX library, as it were.

Input?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Can I ask a quick question here? I bought FTX Global when it was on sale, and am glad I did. But right now, it's all I have. SO - next step please? I live, and fly, almost all of my time in the U.S. with the exception of the few tutorials for the various PMDG fleet. But exactly which ORBX items would be beneficial to me right now? I know about the various little airports scattered here and there, but are there any that would be classified as "must have"?

I love the difference in the textures between the FSX and the Mega Scenery Earth items, and have stopped using MSE entriely. So I'm open to exploring the ORBX library, as it were.

Input?

Any of the FTX NA regions.  Though, if you are flying the NGX, be very aware of your settings or you will OOM easily if flying into 3rd party airports too(KSEA, KSFO areas for example)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Depends on where you want to fly...  Alaska, PNW, Northern California.. etc..

Bert

Depends on where you want to fly...  Alaska, PNW, Northern California.. etc..

+1

You could always buy them all, they are amazingly detailed.

With that said.  FTX PNW is one of my favourites.