Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

Fatal Error on Starting FSX

Hi

Please could someone help with my FSX installation.

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, when I now try to run FSX, I immediately get a message "A Fatal Error has occured" and then the message "Microsoft Flight Simulator X has stopped working" .

How can I sort this problem out?

Thanks.

Ray

First thing to try is to remove (SAVE) the fsx.cfg file and then start FSX and let it build a new one. It will reset all defaults. You need to have 'show file extensions' ON to find it

Jay

Go into your Control Panel/Events Viewer and see if the error lists a "Faulting Module".

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX | FSX-SE Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thanks for that.  I'm a bit rusty with all this but where do I find the "fsx.cfg" file?  In D:/FSX I see a folder "Config" but fsx.cfg isn't there.

Also in the Event Viewer -Summary of Admin' Events (under Critical) I see "41 Kernal Power".

Ray

Type %appdata% in the search in the windows start menu. Then you open the folder named Roaming and then you go to the folder named Microsoft and then folder named FSX. There you should find a notepad file named fsx.cfg that you cut (not copy) and put on your desktop on your computer. Start FSX. FSX will now rebuild a new fsx.cfg fil for you and reset all settings to defult.

If your FSX still crash when you start FSX, then you better remove one of the last add-ons you installed into your fsx right before your fsx startet to crash.

I'm a bit rusty with all this but where do I find the "fsx.cfg" file? In D:/FSX I see a folder "Config" but fsx.cfg isn't there.

Also in the Event Viewer -Summary of Admin' Events (under Critical) I see "41 Kernal Power".

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides info on where to locate the hidden folders in FSX and P3D. In the probable causes section of the guide there's several suggested fixes for your problem. You should also check out page 1 and 2 of the guide where we have posted a link to the AppCrashView. The AppCrashView interprets the Windows Error Reporting System and provides more information about your crash.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Oh dear, Oh dear !  I've got myself into a right pickle.  I found the file fsx.cfg in Raymond>appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>FSX.  I cut this file and put it on the desktop and re-started FSX.  A lot of message boxes came up that I accepted and ultimately FSX started at 'Home'.  When I selected 'Free Flight', it stopped working.  Should I see the new fsx.cfg in the FSX that has been re-built?  I looked in FSX and only saw the following files : 

fsx(FA_Backup).cfg

fsx.CFG

fsx.CFG.txt

I should have mentioned at the start of this message that this problem arose initially when I loaded the addon 'Treescapes'.

So I feel that I am not competent to take this search much further.  Can I return to the setup I had before doing the fsx.cfg cut and then remove Treescapes?  I could un-install FSX I suppose, but this would be drasic action because I would loose all the addons and photo' scenery addons and have to start all the re-loading of these again again.

You can remove those 3 files you listed and replace them with the one you saved, it sounds like that 'treescapes' may be the issue, remove that and see what happens.

Jay

I should have mentioned at the start of this message that this problem arose initially when I loaded the addon 'Treescapes'

He is your clue  and issue   since your fsx  worked fine  before you had installed  Trees cape and  failed   after your had installed Treescape suggest  this has caused your issue.  Hopefully uninstalling  it  will fix your issue

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

OK - I've removed the three files mentioned above and run FSX again. It still has the fatal error!

(Looking now in FSX I see 2 new files created: fsx.cfg and fsx.CFG.txt )

So I will have to remove Treescapes as suggested.  The instruction given by Treescapes for complete un-installation is to look in the photographic scenery folders for the folders named "Texture".  Inside are thousands of files with extension *AGN that should apparently be deleted for un-installation. 

Before doing this I would ask, does FSX have Texture files that I must watch for?  I know "Texture Resolution" is something that is set in the Scenery Library.

Unless you know exactly the files that need to be deleted (and their location), you should not start deleting anything. Page 7 of the treescapes guide provides some information - http://earthsimulations.com/Downloads/PDF-manuals/ES-Treescapes-Manual-Web.pdf. Maybe a bit confusing for someone who is not familiar with how computers work and the file structures.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm vaguely familar with the file structure on computers.  So therefore, if I want to recover FSX, it looks like I am forced to try to un-install Treescapes.  I think can identify the the 3 areas folders in each of volumes folders 1,2 and 3 of VFR Photographic Scenery.  In the 'areas' folders I see Texture files with the extension *AGN. So I can only assume these need deleting to un-install Treescapes, as instructed on p9 of the user manual.  I know I could get this wrong but the only other thing I could do is to un-install and re-install FSX.  Would this un-install all addons in the Scenery Library, such as the Treescapes photo scenery?

Further to my last post, I had a look in 'Control Panel>Programs & Features>Microsoft Flight Simulator X' and I see the option how to remove FSX.  There  is also a "Repair" option there which says this will Reinstall all features installed by the previous setup.  What does this do, and would this un-install all addons including Treescapes?

Further to my last post, I had a look in 'Control Panel>Programs & Features>Microsoft Flight Simulator X' and I see the option how to remove FSX.  There  is also a "Repair" option there which says this will Reinstall all features installed by the previous setup.  What does this do, and would this un-install all addons including Treescapes?

Reinstalling FSX is not recommended unless you can't uninstall Treescapes to see if that if the program causing your problem. Moving your fsx.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml, and scenery.cfg to a temporary folder would be almost like reinstalling FSX. The fsx and scenery.cfg's will rebuild to the default settings when you restart FSX. The dll.xml and exe.xml will not be rebuilt. Only thing you can do there is to move them to a temp folder to see if this fixes your problem. If so, then your problem is probably associated with the dll.xml and/or exe.xml. Those problems are rare though. Most of the problems in FSX are associated with the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg. You move these to a temporary folder because you do not want to reinstall all of your scenery. If the problem goes away with the default scenery.cfg, then most likely your problem is one of the sceneries. So you move the one in the temp folder back and disable the addon scenery OR you can just disable the scenery you recently installed.

A repair of FSX will require you to also repair Acceleration if installed or a repair of SP1 and SP2 if Acceleration is not installed. A repair will bring your textures back to the default textures. It will also repair the Effects folder as many addon developers will replace the default effects with their effects. So, doing a repair could cause some anomalies to FSX. A repair will not overwrite the dll.xml or exe.xml but it will overwrite your fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg so those should be backed up.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM