Sign in to follow this  
taneb

Fsx disk and fsx steam multiplayer compatibility

Hey me and my friend are trying to do a shared cockpit. Only problem is I have fsx disc acceleration and he had fsx steam edition. I know it's probably impossible...sigh...But I would love that feeling of accomplishment and teamwork. So if any of you have anything, anything at all, that would be cool. Thanks for any help!

Tanin Shipman

I may be young, but one of these days I'll be flying you around...

Taneb,

I removed your second post from the Welcome Topic because it was a double post and your first post is in a better location.

I don't own the Steam version, but I believe it's the same as the disk version.

I haven't used Microsoft's built in Shared Cockpit function in many years as I'm flying third party addon aircraft in shared cockpit, but I remember that it was very straight forward (not allowing for any possible differences in the Steam version). 

I searched the Internet "FSX Shared Cockpit" and the first result (Google) was this LINK.  It looks like what you're looking for.

I hope this helps you guys get up and flying!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you very much! My friend is out of town right now but I will try these when he gets back. I hope it works, though I'm not sure. The steam community said that FSX disk and steam edition weren't compatible, so I was wondering if you could explain this, or if there was a way around it. We haven't tried everything, but figured that it must be possible through some IP stuff. But FSX disk multiplayer screen brings up an option for your game spy or direct connect. But he tells me FSX SE brings up an option to join a server or direct connect. I read somewhere on another steam forum that direct connect doesn't work on SE. Just wondering if you could shed some light on this, or if they are compatible anyway. But thanks!

Tanin Shipman

I can't speak to the Steam version as I've never seen it.  If it's not compatible, then I seriously doubt there is any type of work around.  That said, you might be reading about Multiplayer, which i know is not compatible.  Shared Cockpit is performed in the Multiplayer sub-section but should be used via the Direct IP Connection.  I'm not sure, but I would think that should work between the two versions.

Hope this helps.  If not, you should consider the Aeosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321.  Aerosoft has continually provided the very best products, product support, and an immensely friendly atmosphere and is completely devoted to it's customers.  I think you'd enjoy the aircraft.

Be sure to read the Guides Pinned at the top of this forum HERE.

I hope you've found this helpful.  Good luck.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks again Dave for the help and support! I hope they come out with an update for this in the near future as I know many will come across this same problem. I have tried other add on like Desk Pilot but they also require the use of built in  multiplayer, which is the only way TO do shared cockpit as far as I'm aware of, but that is the weakest link between steam and disk, thus bringing up this problem. If you find a way to do it without multiplayer or if there is an update, feel free to let me know. Also, thanks for the link, as I am saving up to buy the aerosoft airbus, but a little tight on money right now. But if I find a way to do it via direct connect or online IP server, I will let you know as it may help others in the future.

Tanin Shipman

I spoke with the person who coded the Airbus, and Connected Flight Deck (Shared Cockpit) is compatible between FSX Disk and FSX Steam versions.

Hope this has been helpful.

Dave Hodges

Well, I guess so. But for me, I know they are compatible, but don't know how to do it. Steam edition can't do Direct connect, so he can't connect to any IP's. I'm not sure if I could or not, but every time we tried on direct connect, we couldn't connect to each others servers. Steam edition doesn't have the game spy option like disk does, but instead has a Steam server session in it's place. That's about the only way he could connect. Direct connect doesn't work for him, game spy doesn't work for me. We'll see what happens. I appreciate you going out of your way to ask the coder of the airbus, thank you SOOOO much! I know you are trying to help. If you ever get in contact with him again, do you think you could ask how to do it? I'm not in any hurry  ^_^. If only there was a way to do it without the use of multiplayer, that would also be great. My friend and I know that we'll get to the bottom of this. Thanks for the help! You don't have to help me if you don't want to. Just seeing if anyone knew any ideas. If you do come across any additional info, do feel free to let me know.

Tanin Shipman

I think I see where you are confused.

FSX has a Shared Cockpit mode for default aircraft (those that come with FSX).

I cited "Connected Flight Deck", which is a different type of Shared Cockpit made by Aerosoft, not FSX, and comes with the Aerosoft A318/A319, A320/A321.  Connected Flight Deck does not use the FSX Shared Cockpit feature and IS fully compatible between FSX and FSX Steam.  The Leonardo Maddog MD-80.

Dave Hodges

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So it's a program from aerosoft? Well, I think I'll have to look into getting this connected flight deck. I did not think there were any programs that allowed this outside of multiplayer. It may be for just there airbus aircraft, but I'll go ahead and take a look. That's neat. Do you think they might have it for PMDG or there upcoming CRJ? If so that would be awesome. Thanks for sharing that with me! I've never even heard of it before. That's the reason it is compatible between the two SE and DISK, because it runs externally from FSX built in multiplayer, which is just what I've been looking for. I wish more companies would step up and make more programs like this, now that SE is out. Thanks for the help!

Tanin Shipman

You're most welcome. 

Please search the PMDG forums for the answer regarding PMDG's position on Shared Cockpit.

Best of luck.

Dave Hodges