Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Is this reasonable?

17 FPS on final MisterX LAX / LES Saab 340 / NOAA Wx plugin / HD Mesh v3.

It's ok with me if it's normal... just seems a little low when I hear people screaming about their 40 fps.

Specs in sidebar but here's the basics: 2500K @ 4GHz / 8GB 1866mhz ram / GTX 970 using one monitor for XP and one for charts / XP10 latest ver on 500GB (150GB free) 840 Evo

xp1017settings.jpg

17fpslax.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If it were my setup, I'd pull back on trees, roads, cars, and cut the HDR AA and AF and do not compress textures to save VRAM.  That system will push complex airports very well, but you have too much stuff demanding attention of the GPU. 

I have a nearly identical system i7-4790K @ 5.0GHz and a GTX980.  Try pulling back on the AA and AF especially and see if you don't see little or not change in graphics quality.  Those nVidia cards do an exeptional job of rendering scenery without forcing AA and AF on a single monitor.  I'm running a single 1920x1200.

Yes, it is.

The CPU will be hit hard by the dense LA scenery (objects and cars) and the saab. Add the HD mesh to it and 17 FPS are what I would expect from your system.

Flo

PS: I doubt that the GPU is your bottleneck unless you are running a very high resolution. But lowering the AA will tell you.

If I pull back the AA it's a shimmering nightmare..  Even with what I have it shimmer pretty bad.  I am running windowed mode fwiw.

I'll try the cars and trees I guess.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You could run some monitoring tools, namely looking for GPU and CPU loads. If you get a single CPU core close to 100% (don't get distracted by the low-ish overall load) you might be looking at an object limit, so the cars and trees make sense.

Whereas a GPU already running at 100% while only being at some 17 fps is more bound to the AA in your case, and clouds for example are a heavy hitter at 4xSSAA. Might well be a combo of both.

@ryanbatcund - you saw my pics of SFO in the P3D X Plane W2XP post - very dense and fps of 30'ish. Get pretty much the same in KLAX. My settings were the same as yours except for:

World detail distance = medium - high doesn't add that much I find

Objects = extreme

Water relections = none (I find them a killer so tend to only use them in less dense areas)

HDR - off (with RTH even without HDR you can set the daytime lighting pretty much as you want - I therefore only use HDR at late dusk/night to get the light spill unless in non-dense areas)

AF = 16

AA = 4 with very little shimmer

With HDR on and reflections I would be down about the same as you I think.

cheers

Peter