Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

FTX/NGX/KSEA…can you get decent frame-rate?

Time for a partial rebuild, as adding FTX scenery has reduced this scenario to a single-digit stutter city on my current FX-6300 desktop. Obviously, a new CPU/MB are in the offing. Not looking for the latest-and-greatest, necessarily, or wanting to wait for Skylane…but, can you get decent performance (20+ FPS and smooth) working at FTX's recommended settings in this scenario and, if so, briefly list your CPU/MB/GPU/RAM? I'm looking for a combination which others have tried and that I thus know has a good chance of working. Thanks!

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

I've found that running regular FTX Global and Vector with hybrid mode unchecked for PNW gets me 50 FPS. Running it with hybrid mode and PNW causes my FPS to drop from 50 to around 30-35 FPS. PNW uses a lot of custom autogen, which the regular FTX Global and Vector doesn't. My scenery complexity is at normal and autogen at sparse. I would try lowering your settings before spending any money. My specs are in my profile.

From what I read about ORBX products, they are designed for future hardware, not something you can run at 60 FPS with all sliders to the right.

Edited by magnetite

If you are flying within PNW, why would you use Global/Vector?  If you're flying within PNW, why would you check hybrid mode?

I guess I never thought about it. They claimed that hybrid mode was a set it and forget it, so I don't have to go into FTX Central every time I want to change regions. It allows the PNW to remain active while in it (no global or vector enabled) then switch if I fly out of the region it switches to global and vector.

I guess I never thought about it. They claimed that hybrid mode was a set it and forget it, so I don't have to go into FTX Central every time I want to change regions. It allows the PNW to remain active while in it (no global or vector enabled) then switch if I fly out of the region it switches to global and vector.

Hmm that's not quite right... Can't remember the link but in ORBX forums it's explained very clearly:

- if you will only be flying within one region (i.e. PNW), you should select/enable the corresponding region in FTX Central (not hybrid mode).

- only if you plan to fly to/from a region, and a non-region area is when you need to select hybrid mode (or between different non-contiguous regions)

- lastly if you plan on flying OUTSIDE regions (even if you have the,) you jeed tomselect/activate global.

I found this on the main FTX Global page:

Finally, a new "hybrid" mode is introduced for FTX Central that now allows the classic Orbx FTX Regions to remain "active" with FTX Global so you can do trans-ocean or continent flights without ever needing to see default terrain ever again.

I just did a test.

North America region checked (PNW): 38 FPS. KSEA upgraded with new runway.

Hybrid mode checked: 38 FPS. KSEA upgraded with new runway.

Hybrid mode unchecked (FTX Global & Vector only): 50 FPS, KSEA airport with old runway layout.

I did a test this morning with my standard GA settings  and Orbx PNW (very high antialiasing, sliders full right.  I fly GA, mostly).  I was getting around 20 FPS at KSEA.  Have to say it was pretty smooth, though.  The downside is I got some VAS warnings when I got closer to my Orbx airports.  Not surprising, I guess.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM