Sign in to follow this  
Movieman162

Aviation Headsets vs Standard Headsets

Was looking at some headsets today and though about this. Why do all aviation headsets have built in volume control? Do most aircraft not have their own volume control for listening to communication/atc next to the audio jacks or somewhere else in the cockpit? Obviously with normal headsets you adjust the volume on the pc/phone/whatever so is this not the same in aircraft? 

tim

by standard, I assume you mean PC compatible 3.5mm pin size ..... these are smaller than aviation jacks (you'll need adaptors & be mindful of power demands)

for now, cheers

john martin

Yeah I know about the jack size difference. But say you just had a 3.5mm headset and plugged it in using an adapter would it work or does it need to have its own volume control?

All panels I have used have a volume control that affects all occupants. The issue is that some headsets may be louder than others even though they are all getting the same signal from the panel.

My Bose headset is very loud when compared to my David Clark. Since I used the Bose and give the David Clark to my passengers, they need to max their volume and I need to turn mine down almost halfway.

The impedance is higher on aviation headsets in the realm of 150-2000 ohms. Many non-aviation headsets are usually spec'd below 100 ohms meaning they might get damaged in the worst case and have poor sound quality in the best case.

Interesting, the reason I have been asking about this is because I am deaf and as such have to use two baha hearing aids. I have been speaking to the CAA and explained the fact that I have to use the two hearing aids and asked about getting a medical using the direct audio input for my hearing aids instead of a headset for listening to audio, and after discussion they have asked me to take a functional hearing test which is basically just going in a simulator or a real aircraft and using the system.

http://www.connevans.co.uk/product/4775992/DCOM50377/Oticon-Medical-Audio-Adaptor

This is the system in question. Its basically just a 3.5mm jack that connects to a box to make sure that whatever I plug into doesn't destroy the hearing aid, and then connects to the hearing aid by the three prong part.

The hearing aid does have its own volume control, but this will raise/lower the volume of both external hearing and the audio input which is not ideal, usually I rely on changing the volume on the pc/phone to adjust the input volume.

Would this system, with an adapter for the plug size work? And since the hearing aids are self powered what would the impedance be roughly?

Thanks

I can't comment on the compatibility as I am not an electrical engineer. I would have to defer to the authorities on that. If something is pre-approved for this use then I imagine it has been thoroughly tested. I can't tell if this is the case on the website.

I could speak to the manufacturer about it. What should I be asking about in particular/what would make it "compatible" with aircraft panels. 

Thanks

Not really sure what to tell you. Over here, I would consult with the FSDO (Local office representing the FAA) for their take and guidance on the matter. There must be an equivalent for the CAA.

Hmm, I will try calling tomorrow and see where that gets me. Failing that I will go back and speak with the medical department and take it from there. 

Anyway thanks for your help sir.