Sign in to follow this  
ark

Replacement Radios for FSX Default A/C

One guy at Flightsim.com was asking about that radio stack yesterday?  I assume he bought it and is

having a problem getting the AP function to work.  He is a long time simmer and I trust what he says.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

One guy at Flightsim.com was asking about that radio stack yesterday?  I assume he bought it and is

having a problem getting the AP function to work.  He is a long time simmer and I trust what he says.

Well that doesn't sound encouraging. I'll go see what he has to say.

Thx,

Al

www.friendlypanels.com

Interesting -- thanks.

I like Friendly Panels. Functional, good selections and inexpensive. They have been around for years.

I don't care for 2D panels and only use VCs, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tried the Friendly Panels Gauges1 or Navigation gauges packs. I took at look at the manuals and it seems some experience installing gauges into a VC  panel may be needed, At least in some cases.

Thx,

Al

Just be aware that replacing avionics in a virtual cockpit is not a straight forward affair, if there is any 3d modeled mesh (knobs, switches, frame, et cetera) involved! :wacko:

All 2d gauges such as avionics are "projected" onto a "virtual screen" in the VC. If the "virtual screen" is a flat surface, then they will likely work well.

On the other hand, if the "virtual screen" in the VC is "bumpy" then they will mostly likely not work out satisfactorily. :blush:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just be aware that replacing avionics in a virtual cockpit is not a straight forward affair, if there is any 3d modeled mesh (knobs, switches, frame, et cetera) involved! :wacko:

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill.  That's exactly my concern, although I would think if you remove a radio the "hole" that is left would be flat, but I have no experience in this area.

Al

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill.  That's exactly my concern, although I would think if you remove a radio the "hole" that is left would be flat, but I have no experience in this area.

Al

Well, that is the point actually. There is no "hole" at all. Removing the existing gauge will simply leave the 3d un-textured mesh...

...as it is part of the model, not something tacked on via a configuration file!  :wacko:

Fr. Bill    

Well, that is the point actually. There is no "hole" at all. Removing the existing gauge will simply leave the 3d un-textured mesh...

...as it is part of the model, not something tacked on via a configuration file! :wacko:

I can't say I fully understand it, but I understand enough to know it is not an area I really want to have to delve into.

Appreciate the info,

Al

Basically, you cannot move or remove the 3-dimentional knobs, buttons, and switches that are in the virtual cockpit.  It is easy to change 2D panels and pop-up screens, but changing things in the virtual cockpit is tricky, everything has to match perfectly or it will not look nice and buttons and knobs may be difficult to click.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Carenado has released a series of aircraft that have an option to switch off these 3d knobs, so replacing a radio looks better. The B58 Baron springs to mind.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

At Milviz we provide textured but otherwise blank panels that will allow one to place any avionics they might have available. It amounts to mostly the same thing in the end. B)

I can't say I fully understand it, but I understand enough to know it is not an area I really want to have to delve into.

Appreciate the info,

Al

Think about a chair. The chair has a frame over which material is fitted (cloth, leather, etc.). Just as the chair's cover is form-fitted to the shape of the frame, a texture is form-fitted to the mesh of the model in the sim.

Fr. Bill    

Think about a chair. The chair has a frame over which material is fitted (cloth, leather, etc.). Just as the chair's cover is form-fitted to the shape of the frame, a texture is form-fitted to the mesh of the model in the sim.

I think I understand the general concept of a mesh, and so those pesky 3D knobs that are difficult to remove from default a/c VC radios are part of the mesh, while the rest of the radio is part of the texture?

Al