Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Is there a rainbow effect in P3D?

Yesterday when I was driving home it was an amazing rainbow seen on the sky and I came to think of I've never seen a rainbow in P3D (or in FSX for that matter).

Searching for rainbow in the P3D installation folder I did find some files with rainbow in their names.

Anyone else ever seen a rainbow in P3D?

Richard Åsberg

If there is, I've never seen it nor in FSX or any earlier versions.   It would be nice though!

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

There are 2 files in the ...\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Scenery\Global\texture folder so in one way or the other it seems like it has at least been a thought at one point to include something related to a rainbow.

The files are called

Gen_rainbow_lm.dds

Gen_rainbow.dds

Then there are a couple of other files as well with rainbow in their names but these files don't appear to be global.

Richard Åsberg

I'm pretty sure those are for a static rainbow model that you can place.

If that's the case it's not dynamic.

For me to place?

I was looking for a rainbow effect that will just work without me having to do anything such as I always get to see the sun and the moon without first placing them manually in the sky :smile: but guess this isn't modelled then.

A little bit surprised I never thought of this before until yesterday but guess I'll just settle with watching rainbows IRL instead :wink:

Richard Åsberg

;)

Irony on

I already spotted a rainbow, but I had to set the date back a few thousand years, go to middle east and rename my profile to Noah. Set historical weather in ASN and of course I had to have a float plane loaded.I took the goose then.

Irony off

A rainbow effect would be really cool, especially together with the cloud shadows and rain zones.