Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Location of AFX files for default airports

Hi all, does anyone know the file location of AFX or equivalent files for default airports?

I have installed Aerosoft's La Palma airport scenery but cannot get AI traffic to appear. The manual says this is probably due to duplicate AFX files and says to remove any others including defaults ones.

Iain Smith

They are in the Scenery folder, in the relevant Area, but are in code, not using ICAO file names. They way to find out which is the one you want is to open up the freeware Airport Design Editor, ADE, and ask it to open a default airport. Type in your ICAO and it will then give you the location in FSX of that default airoort. Just rename it BACKUP though!

The file your looking for is in fsx\scenery\0502\scenery\APX43210. And here is a warning..if you disable this, you will get flickering ground  textures, and will effect nearby airports. The reason you see no AI is because they are probably in the air 15 meters off the ground, so you need to check you have AFX_GCLA_ALT.BGL in the world\scenery folder. Nothing else related to GCLA.

The advice to disable the APX file is bad advice.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

The file your looking for is in fsx\scenery\0502\scenery\APX43210. And here is a warning..if you disable this, you will get flickering ground textures, and will effect nearby airports. The reason you see no AI is because they are probably in the air 15 meters off the ground, so you need to check you have AFX_GCLA_ALT.BGL in the world\scenery folder. Nothing else related to GCLA.

The advice to disable the APX file is bad advice.

I agree with Julian 100% on this and seriously doubt that the manual says to remove the default AFCAD.

For one thing as Julian mentioned, the AFCAD is embedded in the above named APX file. No default AFCADS are singular AFCADS that the user can easily find and disable or remove. They are all embedded in APX files that also contain other things for other airports. Getting rid of an APX file will almost guarantee problems else where.

As far as removing other AFCADS that may have been added from the Avism library, from MTX, or from other sources like UTX or Orbx Vector elevation corrections, then yes, those should be either renamed from .bgl to .off, or deleted/moved to a backup folder.

I highly doubt the developer would say to remove the APX file that goes to the default version of the airport as those AFCADS will be over ridden by the addon scenery that you purchased.

My bet is that you have an ORBX Vector elevation correction that needs to be disabled, an alternate AFCAD from MTX, or the the airport is designed to be used at a certain mesh resolution like 5m or something else and your settings are not set to match.

Good luck and let us know what you find and if you get it fixed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi all, sorry to be so long getting back but I've been testing one or two things in between real life things!

Firstly, thank you for all your replies and you're quite right, the manual doesn't tell you to do anything to the default files, I misinterpreted. So I left them alone.

I've discovered that the scenery is not the problem. The default airport also has no traffic. So, clearly, my 200+ WoAI traffic files do not cater for La Palma, GCLA. I know many folk do not consider this a problem but I like to see a bit of airline traffic when I fly in and out of an airport, I think it adds to the realism.

Is there a traffic file that anyone knows of that would have flights serving GCLA?

Iain Smith

Thanks Joe. I've now installed a few of those that I didn't have.

Regards

Iain