Sign in to follow this  
lukehall

777 & 737 performance in P3D?

Hi,

Briefly, in FSX I found that the 777 performed more smoothly and with slightly higher frame rates than the 737NG. I have since moved to P3D and currently only have the NG.

I'm wondering if anyone else has observed the same thing in FSX and whether anyone using both in P3D can comment on their experience?

Referring back to FSX, I presume that the 777 benefits from more optimised coding as it was a later development than the NG? It certainly seemed happier on my system in FSX than the NG, particularly when it came to smooth frame rendering. I find the NG in P3D is rather prone to lots of micro stuttering, which I find a bit jarring!

Cheers,

Luke

Yes lots have stated the same, the NGX is one of the most heaviest on resources for FSX. I believe the 777 is optimised better...or maybe more optimised, then the NGX.

I've never had microstuttering, but then I don't have any add-on scenery other then some aiports which could be the reason why

Yes lots have stated the same, the NGX is one of the most heaviest on resources for FSX. I believe the 777 is optimised better...or maybe more optimised, then the NGX.

I've never had microstuttering, but then I don't have any add-on scenery other then some aiports which could be the reason why

Thanks Chris - helpful reply and pretty much confirms what I thought :-)

There really isn't a groundbreaking different between the two, honestly. I know people think that there is, and yes, the 777 was developed with the knowledge gained from the NGX, but it's not like there were huge leaps forward in computing technology during that time. Usually, the performance issues picked up in P3D are because FSX and P3D settings are not directly comparable. As such, it's nearly impossible to have a side-by-side comparison, and requires people to mess with settings again to find the "sweet spot." Additionally, there really isn't much in the way of CFG tweaking that one can do to help in that way as well.

Kyle Rodgers

Agree with Kyle.  I have lots of time in both 777 and NGX in P3D and they are so similar performance-wise that I wouldn't make a distinction.  I have both FSX and FSXSE on board but only use them for beta testing, I've committed to P3D and have very few minor issues with it.  The cfg file tweaks are minimal and the latest NVidia driver is working very well with P3D.  The only tweak that I consider important that is not already mentioned in the Introduction is the use of OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 (default is 0), which in most cases (the exception being older video cards) will significantly improve performance in the VC of a PMDG aircraft. The P3D forum next door is active and many threads relate to PMDG products.

I have lots of airports and use Orbx scenery and do not ever have a problem with stutters.  The only time micro stutters are noticeable is strangely enough is out the side window looking down.  There are reasons one may experience stutters but in most cases there are solutions and support is available from both AVSIM and LM forums.

Dan Downs KCRP

I like P3D a lot - it's good that the platform is being developed and I sincerely hope that LM continue to make updates in the near future.

The only time micro stutters are noticeable is strangely enough is out the side window looking down.

I think that stutters are very much more apparent when looking sideways because the relative motion compared to your eye point is higher than looking straight ahead. I notice it when moving on the ground too though, sometimes. Again, i think it's probably because the motion of the ground when close up makes it more obvious.

The biggest disappointment for me in P3D is the dreadful image rendering quality and the lack of options for improving it. With just minor driver tweaks using NI in FSX I was able to get an amazingly clean, crisp and well AA'd image with no major performance penalty. As has been well discussed, with everything turned up high in the 'in game' graphics settings within P3D, the image is quite poor in comparison. Shimmering, jaggies, poor shadow AA and vague soft VC in PMDG. I only fly PMDG and the quality of the VC rendering in P3D has been quite a disappointment, as has the lack of available options for improving it.

I have been reduced to using high DSR settings on my GPU which does improve things but the performance penalty when things get cloudy is very high.

I dearly hope they do something to address this very soon as it feels like I've gone back a few years in terms of pure image quality.

Luke

The biggest disappointment for me in P3D is the dreadful image rendering quality and the lack of options for improving it.

Full names in the PMDG forums please Luke.

Really?  That is surprising that you have display issues with P3D.  My experience is the opposite, everything looks fantastic and much better than FSX/FSXSE... much much better.  You are missing something very basic in your configuration. I recommend you use the P3D forum as a knowledge base.  There are a few settings that are important to image quality in the VC, maybe you've missed those.

Dan Downs KCRP

That is surprising that you have display issues with P3D.

On the whole things look nicer thanks to the HDR and lighting effects, I agree. The issue I'm talking about specifically is poor anti-aliasing and filtering which results in shimmering and less well defined cockpit gauges. The issue has been complained about widely on this and other forums. The quality and effectiveness of the FXAA is very poor compared to what can be achieved at Nvidia driver level, but unlike FSX, P3D seems to override anything you configure in the driver settings.

You are missing something very basic in your configuration.

I don't think I am... I have a very well configured and high spec PC - again, the FXAA quality has been widely discussed and slated as being poor in P3D. The PMDG VC looked stunning in FSX but not for me in P3D.

I recommend you use the P3D forum as a knowledge base.

Thanks - I have been using the entire internet as my knowledge base!

There are a few settings that are important to image quality in the VC, maybe you've missed those.

Everything I've mentioned so far has a fairly high impact... It still comes down to poor FXAA performance as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your input - I'll keep plugging away at it :-)

Capt. Luke Adam Hall, ATPL, FI(unrestricted) CAA(FE/CPL) B.Eng.

I'll disagree with others, in FSX with lesser graphical detail I was getting around 19-21 FPS (single GPU since FSX doesn't work with SLI).  In P3D the 777 and the 737 I get a solid 30 FPS (lock to Vsync) with higher visuals enabled (cloud shadows, tessellation, volumetric fog, etc. etc.) with SLI and Optimize_Parts enabled.  If I unlock the (no-Vsync and unlimited) I'm well into 60 FPS (at 4K res) with the NGX at FT Copenhagen with high graphics settings:

My Titan X barely made any difference to FPS in FSX compared to my Titan GTX from a few years ago.

Cheers, Rob.

I think I will never switch to P3D until most users agree that it's better than FSX... I can't run the risk until there is people who say that, although everything is optimized to the best, they get poor graphic rendering, aliasing, stuttering, etc....

James Goggi

Within FSX the 777 has better FPS than the NG

In P3D there now the same. 

There the only aircraft I fly now.

I have no problems with P3D with stutters and FPS, I can Run the 777/NG at aerosofts EGLL with MY6 @30% and still get 30 FPS.(locked)

The only thing is AA, its not as good as FSX on a 1080 28" screen but apart from that its soooo much better than FSX.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

For me the NGX performs 10 times better in P3D. It's more stable and looks much better. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

so if  you were getting 10 fps in fsx  now  your getting  100 fps ^_^

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I use only P3D now and have stopped installing FSX/FSX-SE  after PC rebuilds (exclusively using Windows 10 Preview builds).  The much improved lighting adds a level of visual realism and immersion FSX can no longer satisfy.  This is likely due to my system specs, but the results are undeniable to me.  Since many add-on developers are porting their products to P3D, as well as developing new content for P3D, I think the future is bright.  Of course these are my experiences... not trying to say this will work for everyone since this is such a diverse community.  But for me, P3D rocks!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I see a lot of replies related to visuals and FPS in P3D, but what about VAS and OOMs? Anybody using the NGX in P3D with ORBX Global and Vector? My FSX:SE setup is OOM-ing, even with the DX-10 Fixer... I basically have to turn off all the features in Vector in order to get from A to B without crashing the sim on approach.

Thanks,

Ben Holzer