Sign in to follow this  
boez

Selecting Ultra water detail setting causes P2 state lock-in on nvidia drivers?

FYI, LM are using older (much older) CUDA libraries ... these have caused some issues on my SLI setup specifically with Water = Ultra.  I'm hoping LM will incorporate the more recent CUDA libraries in P3D V3.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: as you can see from the docs, latest CUDA dev kit has some nice benefits: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

Interesting reading - thanks Rob! Certainly hope LM upgrade the libraries in the coming hotfixes / updates.

Me too, but library changes can be pretty involved ... it's not just a matter of changing references.

I've actually stopped using SLI now, just using a single Titan X for now.

Cheers, Rob.

Me too, but library changes can be pretty involved ... it's not just a matter of changing references.

I've actually stopped using SLI now, just using a single Titan X for now.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob have you tried using the CUDA setting in Nvidia control panel to limit it to one of your GPU's or force it on for both? Edit: or force it to run on the unused GPU

Also I browsed through this thread , didn't see anyone mention if they were using the "prefer maximum performance" for power management , this setting should force it to be in P0 ( at least until you run into heat issues)

Yes I did experiment with the CUDA options via NCP ... didn't seem to make any difference.

I use "prefer maximum performance" in NCP but to be honest haven't really noticed much of a difference with it set or not set.

Cheers, rob.

You don’t count Rob, Your... whatever you call that thing you have there; doesn’t care about anything anyway,

it doesn’t matter what you throw at it; it just shrugs it off like it’s not there, bad computer!

Hey Chris ... naaah, my computer has it's limits ... there are ways to bog it down, just have to try a little harder.

I do DISABLE CPU speedstep ... the idea of fluctuating CPU frequency to conserve power is something I'm not interested in for desktop flight sim usage.  I'm at constant CPU frequency from power up to power down ... IMHO that provides better electrical stability, easier to find a good solid OC, and is easier on the PSU as the load remains consistent.

Cheers, Rob.

Okay so this is getting unpredictable! To cut a long story short I now have three SSDs one with Win8.1 and two with Win10 (both fresh installed on the same evening, no windows update run (they've not even been connected to the internet - activation was done on another PC), and only Nvidia and P3D v3 installed).

Boot on Win8.1 SSD and P2 locked in as before.

Boot on Win10 #1 SSD and P0 state achieved...get ready to blame Win8.1 BUT...

Boot on Win10 #2 SSD and P2 locking in!

I can swap between #1 and #2 and repeat these results.

A binary level compare of the P3D folders shows no differences and the same config files are copied to both disks. I even used symbolic links to run one copy from the other.

I read some time ago that a PC can be officially classed as a chaotic system - I'd have to agree!

The order in which hardware is detected and setup has always been pretty random. Like in FSX if you saved your control setting then tried to reuse them after a reformat it won't work because everything gets enumerated differently....

Part of the GUID that gets assigned to devices is a random number so perhaps that's not too surprising though...

(Edit: Although digressing off topic a little bit, I notice that LM appear to have tweaked V3 in the way it handles game controllers - at least as far as the controls.xml file is concerned. V3 stores the GUID in that file with the random part masked off - replaced with zeros. This should mean that the file is good after a rebuild).

Also means you can't import V2.5 control files.  

LM are working on a few bugs with the controllers area ... don't try to use a Saitek Trim Wheel with V3 as it will cause all kinds of issues (don't even plug the device in).  They are aware and working on it.

Cheers, Rob.

LM are working on a few bugs with the controllers area ... don't try to use a Saitek Trim Wheel with V3 as it will cause all kinds of issues (don't even plug the device in). They are aware and working on it.

Cheers, Rob.

Weird I've been using the saitek trim wheel without issue since v3 was released! Don't use saitek drivers though (just the default MS ones)...in fact don't use saitek drivers for the yoke either and never have.

I don't use Saitek drivers either.  Issue I had with Saitek Trim Wheel (only present in V3, works fine in V2.5) which a few other folks were able to replicate is as follows:

1. Open Controllers in P3D V3

2. Attempt to assign the Elevator Trim to the Saitek Trim Wheel ... dialog comes up

3. Now move the wheel, nothing happens except a beeping noise and mouse now beeps on every movement

Only way to exit P3D once in this "mode" is to do a hard reboot (reset button on power button).

As far as I can tell it's something to do with the trim wheel not being recognized until the wheel is moved back and forth, then it comes to life.  The same behavior is actually present in the Win7 Joystick config panel ... I'll not see any red bar for the wheel position until I start to move the wheel back and forth.

What OS are you using? 

Do you plug the wheel into the Yoke USB port or direct to PC?

Cheers, Rob.

LM are working on a few bugs with the controllers area ... don't try to use a Saitek Trim Wheel with V3 as it will cause all kinds of issues (don't even plug the device in).  They are aware and working on it.

Cheers, Rob.

I have it working to, assigned through FSUIPC4, you have to ensure the trim wheel is active before starting P3D, if not it just freezes up the computer. w7

bob

So P3D V3 doesn't work with SLI? If not then FAIL. No way to mod the profile to make it work? That means it won't work for me in 3D surround.