Sign in to follow this  
Djang0

FSX Deluxe + SP2 adequate for addons?

I own FSX Gold (FSX Deluxe + Acceleration) but wanted to install FSX on more PCs but can't find FSX Gold at a sensible price anywhere (not interested in FSX SE right now). Is FSX Acceleration required for modern addons or would FSX Deluxe + SP2 do just as good a job? I understand that the SDKs for SP2 and Acceleration are different.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Without Acceleration you need both SP 1 and 2, with Acceleration you don't need the SP's as Acceleration has it's own.. Addons should work just fine with both

Jay

The only thing I can think of is that there are some of the really good addon aircraft that may require

Acceleration to work properly.  I have tried most of them and they will do OK without Acceleration.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

some of the really good addon aircraft that may require Acceleration to work properly

Thanks for your replies. Yeah that's what I was wondering. I've found FSX Deluxe for around £10 and the SPs are free so I'd be laughing if it works OK.

Q1) Can anyone name quality addons that require Acceleration? In particular good freeware as I probably wouldn't be purchasing aircraft I already have again to put on the other PCs, but maybe for scenery if I really like it.

Q2) I may as well ask if anyone know where FSX Gold can be purchased for around £20 or less?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Q1) Can anyone name quality addons that require Acceleration? In particular good freeware as I probably wouldn't be purchasing aircraft I already have again to put on the other PCs, but maybe for scenery if I really like it.

Q2) I may as well ask if anyone know where FSX Gold can be purchased for around £20 or less?

To the best of my knowledge, Acceleration is just the service packs+some new planes and missions, and Gold is just FSX Deluxe+Acceleration. So, as long as you have both service packs installed you're good to go for anything out there (you don't really need acceleration for anything other than freeware repaints of the default F-18 or Mustang or whatever). I can't help you with your second question, but with the Steam Summer sale coming up I'd look into getting FSX:SE if I were you. It'll probably only be around $5 again and comes with Acceleration and all the service packs. The ease of installation and not having to worry about lost/scratched discs is well worth $5 IMO.

Acceleration added new functionality such as arrestor gear, catapult capability plus a whole host of specific helicopter specific commands. When it installs it remaps a fair few keyboard commands to accommodate the new controls.

IMHO, FSX Deluxe is the goto FSX Sim so long as you're not interested in the default F/A-18 or Helicopters.  Acceleration adds additional scenery (that few if any will see) and while it's not all that heavy hitting, these days every bit of memory (VAS) is worth saving.

Every third party payware aircraft I know of (I've purchased most all of them) is written for FSX SP2.

Since the serial number will be the same from your disks whether or not you install FSX Deluxe of Acceleration, you may not be able to install the same serial number on different computers.

I've heard several times from credible sources that some of the Deluxe and Gold packages on the Internet are deceptively the Steam version rather than the disk version, though I have no personal experience with this.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

FSX + Acceleration is the way to go. There are a lot off add-ons that use some of the bits within Acceleration. It is pretty much essential to have & 'completes' FSX. It installes the neccessary service packs as well. Nothing else needed.

There.. in a nutshell.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Most of the aircraft from Dino Cattaneo will require Acceleration to be "fully" functional and not cause

FSX to crash to desktop occasionally.  http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: