I'm using a ASUS VG248QE monitor and just tried the DVI D cable instead of the HDMI cable that i got with it. I've connected it to my GTX 780 and i'm getting DVI NO SIGNAL.

Iast year i was using this DVI D cable but now its not working?

Any thoughts?

Windows 7

Vernon Howells

I hope! But its new i got it with the monitor. Only used it for a few days.

Could it be my GTX 780 DVI D port?

Vernon Howells

In my experience, more likely to be the cable, also you stated it worked last year and that was at least 6 months ago. The HDMI cable isn't still connected is it? Maybe a long shot but shutdown the computer, disconnect HDMI and any other cables, connect the DVI and turn computer back on

Try setting the monitor to run at 60hz to see how it works. Also, double check by physically looking at the cable ends to ensure that is a Dual link and not a single. I remember when I got that same monitor that the cable was only single link and would therefore only run at 60hz.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

In my experience, more likely to be the cable, also you stated it worked last year and that was at least 6 months ago. The HDMI cable isn't still connected is it? Maybe a long shot but shutdown the computer, disconnect HDMI and any other cables, connect the DVI and turn computer back on

I turned it off connected the DVI D dual link cable and switched on my PC -

it doesn't go into the BIOS but you see the options if you know what i mean and also the windows opening screen. But before it goes to my logging screen thats when it goes dead.

So it can't be the ports?

Try setting the monitor to run at 60hz to see how it works. Also, double check by physically looking at the cable ends to ensure that is a Dual link and not a single. I remember when I got that same monitor that the cable was only single link and would therefore only run at 60hz.

I'm not at home. But it was dual link and my monitor is running at 60hz

Vernon Howells

Hmm that is strange. It's not the cable or the port then. I'm sure I've had this before but it was so many years ago I can't remember exactly. Try booting in safe mode? I'm sure you will get the same result but might be worth a try.

As you said, you have used this cable before so it's the correct cable for the monitor. I can only think that possibly Windows or the GPU is trying to send the signal out the HDMI and for whatever reason, doesn't detect the DVI is connected, hence why I said 100% make sure the HDMI is not connected to the GPU. That being said, if it is still trying to send out of the HDMI port, maybe booting in to safe mode will get you somewhere. Worth a shot

Have you checked the menu settings on your monitor, it could be you've set the default input as HDMI at some point. The boot sequence where you are loosing the image sounds to be about where the hardware is detected & drivers loaded so it could be that the monitor is handshaking with Windows saying it wants a HDMI signal and dropping the DVI signal in readiness.

I'm using a ASUS VG248QE monitor and just tried the DVI D cable instead of the HDMI cable that i got with it. I've connected it to my GTX 780 and i'm getting DVI NO SIGNAL.

Iast year i was using this DVI D cable but now its not working?

Any thoughts?

Windows 7

Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you test this? I assume that you were running the Windows desktop with the HDMI cable connected. Then you shut down, connected the monitor with the DVI cable and switched the monitor to DVI mode. 

When the PC booted up again, Do you see the BIOS text mode boot sequence? Or just a blank screen? What happens when you get into Win 7? Still blank?

The other possibility is that you switched cables "on the fly". You left Windows running and the monitor in HDMI mode, then plugged in the DVI cable in parallel, then went into Windows display settings to set up dual monitors (One HDMI, one DVI) and switched the monitor to DVI mode.

And as others have said, when all else fails, try another cable.

Appreciate all this help!

So my DVI D dual link cable is working but somehow my monitor is switching to HDMI ?

I have an ASUS VG248QE not sure if you can set HDMI as default, i'll need to check tonight.

Hmm that is strange. It's not the cable or the port then. I'm sure I've had this before but it was so many years ago I can't remember exactly. Try booting in safe mode? I'm sure you will get the same result but might be worth a try.

As you said, you have used this cable before so it's the correct cable for the monitor. I can only think that possibly Windows or the GPU is trying to send the signal out the HDMI and for whatever reason, doesn't detect the DVI is connected, hence why I said 100% make sure the HDMI is not connected to the GPU. That being said, if it is still trying to send out of the HDMI port, maybe booting in to safe mode will get you somewhere. Worth a shot

I will try safe mode tonight

Vernon Howells

No more like Windows or the GPU is switching to HDMI. You will have a button on your monitor to switch the source, however in all the monitors I've had it just searches through the connections, VGTA, DVI, HDMI, until it finds a connection that is alive. So if yours is not doing that, that would surprise me. Plus, you are seeing an error specifically stating DVI. So your monitor is looking at DVI and stating there is no connection. That suggest GPU or Windows.

I'd give safe mode a go. Sounds a bit ridiculous, but safe mode uses Windows only drivers so it could work. From there, it will either need a reboot and work, or you'll need to check your display settings. If it works, that is

Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you test this? I assume that you were running the Windows desktop with the HDMI cable connected. Then you shut down, connected the monitor with the DVI cable and switched the monitor to DVI mode. 

When the PC booted up again, Do you see the BIOS text mode boot sequence? Or just a blank screen? What happens when you get into Win 7? Still blank?

The other possibility is that you switched cables "on the fly". You left Windows running and the monitor in HDMI mode, then plugged in the DVI cable in parallel, then went into Windows display settings to set up dual monitors (One HDMI, one DVI) and switched the monitor to DVI mode.

And as others have said, when all else fails, try another cable.

I switched off my PC connected everything up and started my PC, yes the BIOS options were showing and the windows loading thing but after that goes blank

No more like Windows or the GPU is switching to HDMI. You will have a button on your monitor to switch the source, however in all the monitors I've had it just searches through the connections, VGTA, DVI, HDMI, until it finds a connection that is alive. So if yours is not doing that, that would surprise me. Plus, you are seeing an error specifically stating DVI. So your monitor is looking at DVI and stating there is no connection. That suggest GPU or Windows.

I'd give safe mode a go. Sounds a bit ridiculous, but safe mode uses Windows only drivers so it could work. From there, it will either need a reboot and work, or you'll need to check your display settings. If it works, that is

I connected one of my LCD monitors its only a 12.1, i connected it up via HDMI and my main monitor DVI like were discussing.

My second monitor that was plugged in was showing like it was my main monitor i could see all my desktop icons, but when i right clicked and chose screen resolution i could see my main monitor wasn't showing a HDMI connection but something else. This was earlier on today, but i had to leave!

Vernon Howells

Ah, remove any other cables. Keep it simple. One monitor running DVI cable. That is it.

You need to keep things as simple as possible when debugging a problem

Ok i will try soon tonight when i'm home.

Will i buy another DVI D dual cable?

Vernon Howells