Sign in to follow this  
captain_adf

Preparing for my first VATSIM flight in the NGX

This is such a pet peeve of mine! I'm not even a controller, but I've never understood why people do this.

One version of the FS default Pilot-ATC functions would do this when you press the button to request clearance.

"Dulles Clearance Delivery, United 446 requests clearance IFR to Chicago, as filed."

I don't think FSX does it, so it had to be FS2002 or FS9...

Kyle Rodgers

Yes that's correct, from the built-in ATC. I have to say though., it's really no biggy is it? Of all the things people do on Vatsim, saying "as filed" has got to be low down.

I was in the event from Eindhoven to Berlin on Sunday, and the ground controller had to keep asking people to state their PAX on board after they requested taxi, that must have drove him crazy after a few times

Yes that's correct, from the built-in ATC. I have to say though., it's really no biggy is it? Of all the things people do on Vatsim, saying "as filed" has got to be low down.

It's just one of those small things that wears on you over time, similar to the other ones I mentioned (especially "with you," and when people say "ready for taxi, IFR" as if they're different - another default ATC thing). The ones that really get me going are when people check in without being handed off with just "Washington Center, United 446, with you FL360."

*Okay...where in the thousands of square miles of my airspace are you*

Size Reference:

zdc.png

(Without an assigned squawk all I see is a random code - usually 2200 - and boxes.)

*Which one of those boxes might you be? Meh...*

"United 446 squawk 5642."

*Oh...there you are...*

"United 446, radar contact over GSO."

As opposed to:

Washington Center, United 446 with you FL360 over GSO.

United 446 Wash Center, good afternoon, radar contact, squawk 5642. (Done)

The one that really gets me?

"DC Center..."

(Admittedly, we have to log in with DC_CTR, otherwise the systems don't recognize us properly, so it's not entirely surprising...just somewhat annoying, especially when you respond with "Waaashington Center, good afternoon" and they keep calling you "DC.")

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, on the whole list of things people do on VATSIM, it's low. But it's usually the phraseology that resides in the first radio call of a flight and makes controllers subconsciously flag the pilot as inexperienced or not understanding.

To the OP, your preparations so far sound great, far better than many new VATSIM pilots. In addition to some of the valuable advice already shared, I'd suggest two things:

1) Really study and try your best to understand the VATSIM Pilot Resource Center

2) Be proficient enough in your aircraft to understand and fly the route you file and act upon ATC instructions in a timely manner. Sure, if someone doesn't know how to fly a perfect parallel entry into a holding pattern, just say so. But if I change a landing runway, and the pilot misses the localizer or glideslope and proceeds to blame the FMS or autopilot, that's not going to earn them many points. Or simply stalls and falls several thousand feet during climb out.

At least know how to fly basic climbs, speeds, vectors, approaches, and SIDs/STARs with altitude and speed restrictions (again, if you file them in your flight plan).

ATC online can help you through some of the other procedural details if you tell us you are new, and we love helping when we can (aren't busy controlling other customers) but we cannot fly your airplane for you or teach you how to fly it over frequency.

Have fun! It's an addicting world once you get into it.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

In the Eindhoven to Berlin event on Sunday and some how I had programmed the wrong runway, 26L instead of 26R, so I'm on finals and tower confirms it's 26R, much to my surprise, and I had never done this before. I didn't know what would happen once in approach mode if I re-programmed it. Everything that happened was unknown to me. I'd never flown in to Berlin and there was low cloud so I wasn't visual either untill I was close. Luckily 2 planes ahead gave me some guidance from their lights, but still I was in the complete unknown.

I re-programmed, re-enabled Approach mode on the MCP with the new ISL freq and course and everything was fine, it took me down and I hand landed it as usual. Things like this, unless you REALLY know the plane, will be a learning exercise in itself. And I can't be bothered to learn every little thing that could happen before flying on Vatsim. But, I don't need to. I know enough to deal with it, and I learnt something there. Sometimes you just have to go with it and see it happens.

But I do understand if someone uses a wrong phrase, after a while it can do your head in! I would say though, in flying in Europe a lot, sometimes just getting the name of controls is a challenge in it self, such as pronouncing Muenchen or Maastrich radar. It keeps things interesting

Sometimes you just have to go with it and see it happens.

It's the willingness to learn that's the key issue there. 

Kyle Rodgers

It's the willingness to learn that's the key issue there. 

True. And knowing "enough" to be able to think through the problem. That's after 12 months of flying so I can make good guesses or at least work a problem out. But, if you've just bought the plane and had a few hours, and in a "group fly-in" as you stated earlier, you'd probably be lost. OP's had 100 hours, I think he's more qualified then me to deal with these situations :)

Thing is though, I look at this like any other real life pilot, you have a problem you've never had to deal with before or that's never happened before, and you use your knowledge and experience to deal with it. This happens a lot in my day job in IT, and I presume in most other industries as well. So my flying on Vatsim and dealing with something I've never dealt with before is pretty much as close to real life as you'd get. And the Speedbird 9 event is a good example of that (check Wikipedia if you want to learn)

Thing is though, I look at this like any other real life pilot, you have a problem you've never had to deal with before or that's never happened before, and you use your knowledge and experience to deal with it.

Right on. This is why we have people up front and not computers, and these are usually the times I can tell where the experience versus the less experienced pilots are. This very issue is why I also posted that "The Case for Remaining In the Loop" thread a while back. Situations like these are the ones I really, really enjoy when I'm flying online.

One time, I was flying the NGX from MIA to IAD and I managed to cause some sort of issue where I couldn't engage the AP. I thought I'd done everything normally, I knew I was in trim, and everything else seemed to be okay, but it just wouldn't stay on. I continued flying the SID, and advised ATC that I had an autopilot failure and that I needed to be capped at FL270 (need an AP for RVSM airspace at FL290-410, inclusive). Once I got up to FL270, I trimmed myself out to maintain altitude, ensured that A/T handled my speed, and then looked over at my other computer to re-run my flight's numbers with the new altitude. Since the numbers worked, I had the controller change my equip code from /L to /G (advanced RNAV and RSVM capable to the same, non-RVSM) and just flew on my merry way up the coast the same way I do in the smaller planes I fly - without the AP. Apart from the one issue, the flight was mostly normal. Might as well enjoy the non-standard stuff, right?

Kyle Rodgers

Awesome, great advice everyone! I still haven't pulled the trigger yet but getting close and practicing my route every night. I'm about midway through the P1 course which is very illuminating.

Unfortunately I still make dumb mistakes that would be ultra-embarrassing if I were online. Just yesterday, I flew the SSTICK1 from sfo past the initial turn then enabled command A just before reaching the turn at PORTE. I thought I was in lnav but I was really in hdg select! So while I'm fiddling with the comms I completely blow through the turn and find myself way off course. Fs2crew is awesome, but I really wish there was an option where the f/o could tell me "uh, captain, should we really be going this way?"

If this had been my first vatsim flight I would have been ashamed!

Onwards and upwards!

ADF

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

So while I'm fiddling with the comms I completely blow through the turn and find myself way off course. Fs2crew is awesome, but I really wish there was an option where the f/o could tell me "uh, captain, should we really be going this way?"

There isn't, but there is a function to tell the FO to change the radio stuff as appropriate. Have a look at their documentation (not trying to be the RTFM guy - I just completely forgot what the syntax is for the command...should be something like "set COMM 1 to 132.75").

Kyle Rodgers

Honestly mate I have to say, and no disrespect, but you're over thinking this far to much. Stop thinking about "being ashamed" and doing something "ultra-embarrassing" you're acting like people in their jobs never make mistakes. Everyone eff's up, literally every single person. And these are in jobs, that they are paid to do. You're flying a pretend plane, in a pretend world, where nobody will die, or even really care, and you're not even being paid for it.

I've learnt so much in 3 months of Vatsim then I ever learnt from flying off-line. The reason why is that I never thought of the things I'd either be asked by ATC, or that I'd mistake on and have to work out.

I think you're sorting of putting Vatsim on some sort of pedestal of excellence. This isn't Mensa, or an exam it's a sim where people fly for fun. Just fly, you'll be fine. You can practice procedures and follow the FCOM to the letter, but I guarantee you'll be asked something or you'll make a mistake that you have not learnt. And you'll need to work through it.

And honestly, working through it is far, far more fun then knowing it to the letter. As I said, I fly events to places I've never flown before, with real weather, and who knows what I'll find when I get that. That is literally about as real as you get.

Imagine this and I work for Easy Jet or whatever;

"Oi chris, you ever flown to Alicante before? Weather has you landing on Runway 28, tricky VOR approach, no ILS and it's cloudy and windy"

"No never done it"

"Ok,...we better find someone else"

That doesn't happen. Go with it. No one will die. It's Vatsim