Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Scotland 3: The Orkney Islands

Scotland 3: The Orkney Islands

This week's flight takes us on a tour around the Orkney Islands off the north-east corner of Scotland.

We begin at Wick (EGPC) on the Scottish mainland and take a look at the Dounreay nuclear site before heading towards the islands.  First stop is on Flotta Isle (FLH), then we continue across Scapa Flow (an important site in 20th century naval history) to the small airfield on Lamb Holm (SCO3).  We cross the island of Mainland towards the two disused WW2 airfields at Skeabrae and Twatt (touch'n'go suggested) then head to our next stop at Eday (EGED).  From Eday we go to Westray (EGEW), from where we can replicate what is reputed to be the world's shortest scheduled flight to Papa Westray (EGEP).  According to Loganair's schedule, you have 2 minutes to complete the 1.7 mile flight, including taxi time. Next stop is North Ronaldsay (EGEN) before we turn back southwards calling at Sanday (EGES) and Stronsay (EGER) on the way to our final destination at Kirkwall (EGPA).

Recommended aircraft:  Loganair run scheduled flights around the islands using two Islanders, so if you want authenticity this would be ideal.  The total distance isn't far this week(143nm) so cruising at 110-120 knots would be ideal (C172, Cherokee, C182).  A Twin Otter could be another choice but you might want to throttle back a bit.  The shortest runway is Lamb Holm, 2100ft.  I will be in a Loganair Islander:

Islander%20Kirkwall.jpg?dl=0

Recommended scenery:

- Orbx Scotland

For any FSX-only users, Lamb Holm is the only airfield in the plan that is not in FSX.

Flightplans:

- FSX

- Plan-G

- Skyvector

Get a short narrative to accompany the flight here.

Or download all the flight plans + narrative in a single zip folder.

Date and time: Saturday 13th June, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

The air is crackling with excitement!

I'm fixin' to be in one of these:

beechcraft-t-34c-mentor.jpg

Virtavia's Mentor T34 Turbo

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I've just taken a look at Dounreay and the runways are they're but made of water! Is this what you see Nick?

I've just taken a look at Dounreay and the runways are there but made of water! Is this what you see Nick?

Yes, that's what I see too.  I thought it was probably just something gone a little screwy in my installation.  Just as well we're only passing overhead rather than landing...

Yes, that's what I see too.  I thought it was probably just something gone a little screwy in my installation.  Just as well we're only passing overhead rather than landing...

Maybe I hit it at low tide, but the runways were dry...

Not only that, I was able to get the GTN 650 installed in the panel and created

custom waypoints for the first few spots.. so I'll know where I am going for a change :rolleyes:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic52742_post330034.html#330034

Bert

Maybe I hit it at low tide, but the runways were dry...

Do you have OrbX Scotland Bert?

Do you have OrbX Scotland Bert?

I do indeed.. you can see the wind turbines in my Simforums screenshot..

Bert

Curmudgeon & non manual reader,

I seen something weird there too. A nuclear plant site over what looks like a partial airfield overrun by the nuclear plant site. I gave it up to a politics overrun. No water though. It has to be a ground mesh issue. ( I'll be turning em all off for the flight )

Yes... I just may make this one,, hope so. :Applause:  May be a bit late though... Will see.

Popped in a ULPower UL260iSA aerobatic rated 107 HP powerplant in lieu of the 85 hp Vee Dub / 100 HP Jabiru... Can pull straight up from take off until 3000 ft. - Not an aerobatic rated airframe and yes, have to watched the airspeed, can hit redline no problem in level flight just wit da throttle. Oh yeah it's my ol buddy, the Corby. :Big Grin:  Added higher wattage bulbs too! 

Hope to see ya all.

[LIGHTS]
// Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo, 10=cabin
light.0 =3,  0.0,-9.32, -0.23, fx_navred
light.1 =3,  0.0, 9.32, -0.23, fx_navgre
light.2 =3,  -8.20,  0.00, 3.89, fx_navwhi
light.3 =2, -0.00,-9.25, -0.23, fx_strobe
light.4 =2,  -0.00, 9.25, -0.23, fx_strobe
light.5 =1, -5.91,  0.00, -1.03, fx_beacon
light.6 =5,  1.0, 4.651, -1.25, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow_down
light.7 =5,  1.0, -4.651, -1.25, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow_down
light.8 =5,  0.0, 4.651, -0.8, fx_navwhi
light.9 =5,  0.0, -4.651, -0.8, fx_navwhi
light.10 =4,  -0.5, 0, -1, Corby_VC

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

A short narrative covering just a few aspects of this week's flight can be found here.

Or I have packaged all the files (flight plans + narrative) into a single zip folder.

Recently I've been experimenting with separate Scenery.cfg for different parts of the world. In the process all the Orbx Landclass entries moved house. Putting them back where they belong (just under Edwards AFB) made everything aaaalll right! :BigGrin:

The separate .cfg idea was a no-go btw.

Thanks Ron! I dont read manuals! LOL  :LMAO:

I do cleanup, therefore may be late.. But before our flight, stop on out! You'll never find it in FSX! LOL -

Mother Nature has showed her nice hand... Start off the weekend right. Stop on out at Jay Baeten's Antique Aerodrome (9WS2) for an excellent farm style breakfast... With Aeroplanes! 7:00 am - 10:00 am

Bring the kids! They will love it! 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zkYOop3ZHRT0.katsQt_NhKSI&z=14&ll=44.36766%2C+-88.158666

11412415_10207021509004501_3935981558613

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap