Sign in to follow this  
mtaxp

10.40 (Beta 1) is out!

Please report that to the developers... (They said that differnet hardware might get different results in this beta , some might not run at all)

I didn't really notice any change , I got about 13* in the 2 situations.

* 13 sucks but it is OK as Im using only GTX 460 1GB , and HDR on with 2XSSAA , Maximum shadows , and max objects , trees and roads.

So I have some very high settings here comparing to my old and weak GPU.

Yes...I'll report it.  I had to scale back rendering in the following....Objects from TONS to 'a lot'  Roads from TONS, to 'default'.  Yes...my FPS have tanked.  I am getting around Montreal...only about 12, to a max of 15 FPS!!!   I tried to drop out of HDR mode...but I crashed to desktop. I am going to now fire up again, and see if I can recover some FPS's...by not running in HDR mode. That sucks....big time...but let's see what happens.  I noticed no loss or gain, when checking Extended DSF, so that was not the problem.  It is off by default, and from the get-go..I saw my FPS...tank by 50 percent!   So, extended DSF seemed NOT to be the culprit.  It seems .40b1 in general....

Well...I can't run XP.40b1.

Even with HDR off..the best I can do, is having climbed (if you can call that, that...) from 12-15 FPS, to a paltry 20...and that includes having dumbed down settings from what I had with .35

I'm heading back to .35.  I simply can't run .40b1's coding.

So..I guess you turn off the 'beta' check mark on the downloader...and that will give me back .35, right?  If not..how to you go back to the last full release?

Here goes...

I wish others much better luck that I had!

Mitch

Yes...I'll report it.  I had to scale back rendering in the following....Objects from TONS to 'a lot'  Roads from TONS, to 'default'.  Yes...my FPS have tanked.  I am getting around Montreal...only about 12, to a max of 15 FPS!!!   I tried to drop out of HDR mode...but I crashed to desktop. I am going to now fire up again, and see if I can recover some FPS's...by not running in HDR mode. That sucks....big time...but let's see what happens.  I noticed no loss or gain, when checking Extended DSF, so that was not the problem.  It is off by default, and from the get-go..I saw my FPS...tank by 50 percent!   So, extended DSF seemed NOT to be the culprit.  It seems .40b1 in general....

Well...I can't run XP.40b1.

Even with HDR off..the best I can do, is having climbed (if you can call that, that...) from 12-15 FPS, to a paltry 20...and that includes having dumbed down settings from what I had with .35

I'm heading back to .35.  I simply can't run .40b1's coding.

So..I guess you turn off the 'beta' check mark on the downloader...and that will give me back .35, right?  If not..how to you go back to the last full release?

Here goes...

I wish others much better luck that I had!

Mitch

Yep so it seems extended DSFs don't really affect performance for you , it's rather a problem with 10.40B1 itself.

Yes you'll need just to uncheck the beta.

Ben posted yesterday I think that they added some new OpenGL code and that they are expecting some chaos in terms of crashes , performance etc... in the first beta.

So reporting this with your hardware infromation is a great idea.

Yep so it seems extended DSFs don't really affect performance for you , it's rather a problem with 10.40B1 itself.

Yes you'll need just to uncheck the beta.

Ben posted yesterday I think that they added some new OpenGL code and that they are expecting some chaos in terms of crashes , performance etc... in the first beta.

So reporting this with your hardware infromation is a great idea.

Right....I'll do that.   BTW...the sim is now drop-dead-gorgeous!   I just took a flight out of KORS...and had mountain vistas at least a hundred miles away. It is fabulous...and I hope they work back in performance.  

Before I go back to .35...I do want to keep the updated airports, etc. So...what should I pull out of my present .40b1 installation...so then I can overwrite it back in, when .35 overwrites .40b1?   I do want the updated airports to show up in .35 for sure!

I'll wait until I hear back from anybody...and thanks!

Just finished going back to, and downloading .36, overwrote all the .40b1 content, had a flight...and all my prior performance parameters are back.  Maintaining 30 FPS, with the sim max'ed.

Just couldn't run .40b1.  Oh well....that's life....

Back to my flight...

Ses

I couldn't hold and downloaded the new beta and wow! the new visibilty with ext dsf is superb! no change in performance the same for me too which is good, I did notice a faster scenery loading too, Ben said time ago that with 8 gb ram is ok, so I'm ok. Didn't test any plane yet so no comments there. If in rendering settings are the new graphics presets, it would be great to have buttons for user presets. So far so good...

Alexander Colka

After I first installed 10.40 this morning, I thought my FPS dropped a lot, but then I rebooted my PC and fired it back up and all was good.  Looks great and runs fast. I'm happy! The ext DSF is a nice addition!

Mitch, I'm glad you got it running good again despite having to fail back. I wouldn't worry about it, as this is a early beta version and bound to have issues. I'm sure they will get it worked out for you.

Rob

Wish they could do something to make the water reflections more correct (looking at those altitude shots above)

The water sticks out like a sore thumb and in the one with the orange sky, I'm not sure where the coloration of the water is coming from.

Just looks off to me and sticks out way too much (relative to what I see when up flying anyways)

Good to see you finding the positives again. At least the inland water and rivers don't have the sea rolling through them.

Good to see you finding the positives again. At least the inland water and rivers don't have the sea rolling through them.

Not much positive to say about the water, but I do agree that it's nice they look "inland" I suppose. 

Not much positive to say about the water, but I do agree that it's nice they look "inland" I suppose. 

did you try a restart like the user above said?

besides its beta I'm sure by the time it comes out it will work for u

I installed 10-40b1 on a copy that I use for experimenting.  It performs very well - about the same as under 10-36 even though the ram usage is up according to rendering options.  

The only problem I had was me.  I had a shortcut on my desktop for this copy and didn't change the shortcut.  It didn't occur to me that it would not start with the old shortcut, but that was the case.  If anyone installs and has a problem (on windows) with a can't start because of ......,  be sure to change your shortcut to the new one or start from the file.

Everything is good so far...

John

John Wingold

Anyone noticing decreased loading times? Detailed scenery in Germany (W2XP and Photo) seems to load faster for me

Same here.

FPS are the same.

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

Anybody tested ATC ? is "your are off course" fixed at least?

No changes to the core ATC as far as I can tell. It's still the same

Anyone noticing decreased loading times? Detailed scenery in Germany (W2XP and Photo) seems to load faster for me

Would be bad, if that wouldn't be the case ;) Ben blogged about this extensively, and there is also a line in the release notes:

• New DSF loader – more multi-core, less waiting.