Sign in to follow this  
mtaxp

10.40 (Beta 1) is out!

Mitch, 

Your last pic, PAJN ( Juneau International, Alaska)................

I just couldn't believe how good it looked, when I first fired it up on my system. And it's freeware too. The skies were grayish & cloudy, which gave a cold evening  feeling to it, and it just looked marvelous!   X-Plane just does mountains and water well!  Even compared it to my Orbx/FSX counterpart, and I'd say the X-Plane look, just looked better. 

Mitch, 

Your last pic, PAJN ( Juneau International, Alaska)................

I just couldn't believe how good it looked, when I first fired it up on my system. And it's freeware too. The skies were grayish & cloudy, which gave a cold evening  feeling to it, and it just looked marvelous!   X-Plane just does mountains and water well!  Even compared it to my Orbx/FSX counterpart, and I'd say the X-Plane look, just looked better. 

I agree, Larry....40b(x) is a winner...the RC is going to be simply, stellar!

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_16.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_15.png

I installed 10.40beta on my imac 27", it is a big step forward on many things.

-dsf load times are vastly improved, no more sim pauses while loading dsfs specially when flying heavy payware.

-lighting is a lot better, it was hard to see vasi/papi lights on 10.3x

-winds aloft makes climb/descending and flying at different altitudes a lot more dynamic. Winds change direction and intensity all the time. great +

-extended dsf range is amazing at medium/high altitudes compared 10.3x. BUT it is a NO GO to me. It kills 10-12 fps on my system going from 30 steady to 18 fps and even below at times which makes the simulator sutter and suffer a lot.

Is this a Mac-specific issue? What GPU are you running in the iMac- and what year is the iMac?

Thanks- Bruce (another iMac user, haven''t gotten the beta yet- how do I enable beta downloads when I previously have disabled betas?)

Is this a Mac-specific issue? What GPU are you running in the iMac- and what year is the iMac?

Thanks- Bruce (another iMac user, haven''t gotten the beta yet- how do I enable beta downloads when I previously have disabled betas?)

I have the imac retina 5k fully loaded (32GB, SSD disk, Intel 4Ghz, AMD M295x)

to install the beta you need to run the "x-plane installer" provided on the disk, then choose update, then clic search betas

imacs runs Mobile GPUs versions, so they are not that powerfull as its counterparts for PCs. Extended dsf is a massive piece of earth to move. It looks just amazing!! But i prefer having tons of houses, roads, extreme resolution, etc. than putting all that down to keep a nice fps for extended range

Manuel Merelles

Thanks Manuel. I also have the fully-loaded retina 5k iMac as well. If I get time to install this beta in the next day or 2 I will make a comparison and post here. Do you have a specific location/airctaft situation that you noted this performance issue with, or is generalized with any location/aircraft?

Thanks for the info on enabling the install of betas.

@ Sesquashtoo

and

@ comanche

do you are using some own "atmo tweaks" (comanche for sure) or the new "build in" 10.40 atmos ??

cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

@ Sesquashtoo

and

@ comanche

do you are using some own "atmo tweaks" (comanche for sure) or the new "build in" 10.40 atmos ??

cheers 

I use Real Terra Haze for fly with LUA.  I'm constantly tweaking it and changing it so it always looks different depending on my mood.. 

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=22387

Rob

Looking forward to the final implementation. Some reports sound (and look) really promising and this beta actually arrived far sooner than I thought.

Cool detail on the water interaction btw. :smile:

Indeed extended lod is great, had some gorgeus sights from Venice to the Alps but impact on FPS is huge on my system (16gb ram, k2500,  GTX770 4Gb): from 40/45 to 30 when flying at 25000 feet.

I noticed large gain in loading time, that's good, but I'm afraid I will have to leave extended visibility deactivated.

That's exactly my set up (I have the 2500 overclocked) and I also noticed a considerable frames drop. Interestingly having multiple DSF's enabled didn't actually change the FPS over disabled. The only thing that made a difference was reducing the world detail from extreme to very high.

Wow great shots Mitch - time to play with the Beaver.

That's what she said.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

That's exactly my set up (I have the 2500 overclocked) and I also noticed a considerable frames drop. Interestingly having multiple DSF's enabled didn't actually change the FPS over disabled. The only thing that made a difference was reducing the world detail from extreme to very high.

I have the same setup too. Which NVIDIA Driver do you use?

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

I use Real Terra Haze for fly with LUA.  I'm constantly tweaking it and changing it so it always looks different depending on my mood.. 

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=22387

Rob

Same here...ditto.

:-) , I know about that, I´m one of these guys who shared this values  and DataRef tweaks!

Thank you for the answer, even only wanted to know which tweak you are using.

Cheers !

That's what she said.

hmmm, just thought the same, but after second flight now, i noticed a FPS hit with extended DSF´s are enabled. (Core i7 4930k @ 4.5 Ghz, GeForce 780 Titan, 24GB RAM)!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

I have the same setup too. Which NVIDIA Driver do you use?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Looking forward to the final implementation. Some reports sound (and look) really promising and this beta actually arrived far sooner than I thought.

Cool detail on the water interaction btw. :smile:

Cool...until .40b1, I had never crashed and (died, mostly likely...jeez!) flipped end, over end, at any time..and 'thought',... that I had good landing techniques down pat. I guess...I was wrong in that assumption.  I did my 'normal' approach, attitude, and airspeed for my .36 landings and lesser versions.

Yeah...will that showed up my likely flawed water landing approach and execution.  I wipe out on THREE consecutive landing attempts, out in the bay from PAJN.  Seriously embarrassing.... 

On my fourth landing attempt..and with a slower by a few knots approach, and pontoons held up much higher, than I have ever tried...my water landing was very smooth, and uneventful.  This suggests to myself...that there was a not correct water/wave/wind interaction between the pontoon hulls, and stated water...in any prior version of XP.  I was getting away with a bad landing...because the plane 'skipped'...and then once upon the water..if there was wave/wind in the weather....it merely and literally, jumped up and down...(the bug showing itself)  Since .40b1, no such bug as reared its head.  Great wave action, effecting the pontoons, affecting therefore the visuals of the aircraft attitudes..simply freakin' stellar!   I am beyond happy...!

This was such a downer for me...in using XP...but had to live with it through so many updates, etc.  If they did not target this bug, as a correction...it then was corrected by association, with another tweak, or coding that they did do within .40b1. I don't much care how it happened, but rather that a very serious water-interaction...has been squashed!

I can't wait for the RC of .40!   It's going to be a most enjoyable day, when released, until then...even the first/second beta rendition..is working great, with my older system...and that is such good news...especially with my enjoyment of Extended DSF mode...what a view...wow...and you don't even have to be in the nose-bleed section of the FL's...mid level...brings on the candy...just as fine as the FL30's....

Cheers!

Ses

Wow great shots Mitch - time to play with the Beaver.

Have a blast doing it...but get ready for some true-to-life landing requirements, with waves present...or...blub...blub..........blub......  :ph34r: