Sign in to follow this  
jcpg

Afterburner

Hi,

I recently started flying jet fighters and helicopters, in addition to airliners in fsx and cannot find the right buttons for the afterburner on the fighter jets. I've tried shift+4, shift+4+I and no luck. I know the aircraft have to have the afterburner effect file. At least one of them has it but it just does not work. Also, can the effects file be transferred to some other fighter jet? Even Concord has an afterburner. Some help here?

I take this opportunity to once again, underline the greatness of FSX.  All types of planes, boats, aircraft carriers, futuristic planes, scenery, airports, bombs, spacecraft, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance.

john

What exact aircraft are you flying?  Do you have Acceleration or FSX-SE?  With most of the fighter jets I've tried, the afterburner should turn

on around 85% N1.  If you do not have Acceleration or FSX-SE then you might be out of luck with some of the addons like Dino Cattaneo's

F14s, F35s and similar.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi Charlie, thanks again for your much appreciated help as per usually. Yes for the F14 D Caettaneo's. Using FSX Gold. What are the keys to make it work. I tried 'shift+4' and also 'shift+4+I' and it does not come on. I can even see on the file effects the afterburner section. Perhaps I'm using the wrong keys? Do you think 'shift+4' is correct?

Thanks again.

john

I knew this sounded familiar.  Read the final answer in post# 8.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/447705-afterburner-effect-for-dinos-latest-f-14-tomcat/

I looked in the Settings and could find no way to increase the throttle sensitivity above

100 or the slider past full right.  You may have to PM the OP of that thread.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The line below in the "[TurbineEngineData]" section of the aircraft.cfg controls the throttle limit after which the a/b will engage.

afterburner_throttle_threshold=0.96

If it's present, change it; if it isn't, add it.

1.0 = 100% throttle

0.96 = 96% throttle

Another line to watch out for is afterburner_available=2. The number indicates the available a/b stages.

In this example, 96% throttle engages stage 1 of the a/b and 98% engages stage 2.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

This is from Dino's F-14D on the Alpha-India site.

[TurbineEngineData]
// Dry thrust data used, A/B trust ratio set in .air file
fuel_flow_gain          = 0.006                 //Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area              = 4.2895                //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area
rated_N2_rpm            = 16728                 //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust           = 13800                 //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level
afterburner_available   = 5                     //Afterburner stages available?
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.85          //Percent of throttle range where a/b begins
reverser_available      = 0                     //Thrust reverser available?
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.83             //Thrust specific fuel consumption (Jets)
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.85    //TSFC with afterburn/reheat engaged

Charlie Aron