Sign in to follow this  
turner112

EZDOK or alternative?

I was looking up EZDOK to set up some specific cockpit views, but it appears v2 has "been in development" for like 5 years or something.

Can anyone comment on whether it still works as it should, or, perhaps, if there is a better alternative?

thanks

Andrew

Opus Weather includes a camera system not dissimilar to EZdok, i have never used it and therefore feel unable to comment, but i have only read good things about it.

EZDok version 1.18 works fine in FSX and P3D, it's interface is definitely older and somewhat involved, but it does the job.

Ian R Tyldesley

I was looking up EZDOK to set up some specific cockpit views, but it appears v2 has "been in development" for like 5 years or something.

Can anyone comment on whether it still works as it should, or, perhaps, if there is a better alternative?

thanks

Andrew

I have both EZdok and Opus, I uninstalled Opus if that gives you any clues. EZdok is far from perfect, it is however the best we have so far. V2 is long over do and if someone comes out with a better camera system, well do I have to say it?

I have both EZdok and Opus, I uninstalled Opus if that gives you any clues. EZdok is far from perfect, it is however the best we have so far. V2 is long over do and if someone comes out with a better camera system, well do I have to say it?

Hi Ric-

Thanks for the note. Interestingly, in looking up Opus, I found others saying exacty the opposite regarding Opus vs. EZDok!

Hmmmm....... the mystery deepens.

There is nothing better than Ezdok at the moment, It has always worked perfectly for me in both FSX and P3D.

Never quite understood the difficulties some folk have with it, seems a pretty straight forward program to me.

I only have FSX Acceleration (not SE).

EZdok has worked well for me for several years in FSX and now P3D v2.5 (and previous P3D versions).

EZdok uses the Flight One purchase wrapper.

So, if you do not like it you can return it within 30 days.

"I was looking up EZDOK to set up some specific cockpit views, but it appears v2 has "been in development" for like 5 years or something."

On the views .. I have not had any problems.

Have you watched any videos of the product?

"but it appears v2 has "been in development" for like 5 years or something."

EZdok current version is V2 (per the developer) without the official title (or any possible additional cost).

But, if you really want the officially released version .. just wait for it.

"I guess the main "difficulty" I have is a developer that has disappeared."

Just wondering .. did you have a specific question for him or are you worried about a specific issue?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Just wondering .. did you have a specific question for him or are you worried about a specific issue?

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for the response. I have watched some videos.

I don't have a specific question - I just find it hard to justify supporting developers that, on the surface, have disappeared (RealityXP), or, in other cases (NOT this developer), either drop support or discontinue a product (flythissim), or perhaps are "less than ideal" hosts (Mindstar). In my opinion, of course. I'm sure others are thrilled with their investments.

It should not simply be a "lucky bonus" that a product continues to work after the developer does not.

How long has there supposed to have been an official V2? In looking around, I don't see much in the way of continued development or discussion with the developer. Perhaps I've not looked deep enough, but my instinct is that this would be a decent purchase, albeit, an unsupported one.

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for the response. I have watched some videos.

I don't have a specific question - I just find it hard to justify supporting developers that, on the surface, have disappeared (RealityXP), or, in other cases (NOT this developer), either drop support or discontinue a product (flythissim), or perhaps are "less than ideal" hosts (Mindstar). In my opinion, of course. I'm sure others are thrilled with their investments.

It should not simply be a "lucky bonus" that a product continues to work after the developer does not.

How long has there supposed to have been an official V2? In looking around, I don't see much in the way of continued development or discussion with the developer. Perhaps I've not looked deep enough, but my instinct is that this would be a decent purchase, albeit, an unsupported one.

Well, I have RealityXP also. No problems.

But, anyway, I am just wondering the reason for your posting.

Sounds like you are not going to purchase the products (really had already made up your mind before posting) and do not want to support the developers.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hi Vaughan,

The purpose of the posting is precisely as posted in the title "EZDok or alternative?".

This obviously is not expected to be a black-and-white answer, and obviously other questions come up.

I'm not seeing a lot about alternatives other than Opus.

In fact, I had made up my mind not to buy any product, or support any developers,  until I'm sure enough that the product will do what I'm expecting, or something close, hence the "homework" of asking people who know more than I do about it. 

Last post I saw at F1 from the developer is late January. That's not horrible, but I also saw that there is a direct email - which is a double-edged sword, as customers and potential customers don't necessarily find out about issues which may affect them before purchasing.

Not a perfect system. That's why I ask.

I couldn't ask for more from EZDok so paying for it, if I had to now, wouldn't be an issue for me. Never needed support or an update, so not sure what V2 would give me to be perfectly honest. I have no qualms with recommending

Why not do-it-yourself? There was a recent post from someone who made a guide to producing custom camera views which looks interesting: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469879-new-documentation-about-fsx-camera-view-definition/. Whilst it's obviously not as complex as EZDOK, it doesn't cost anything (except your time) so has to be worth a try.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Why not do-it-yourself? There was a recent post from someone who made a guide to producing custom camera views which looks interesting: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469879-new-documentation-about-fsx-camera-view-definition/. Whilst it's obviously not as complex as EZDOK, it doesn't cost anything (except your time) so has to be worth a try.

Interesting - will check that out!