Sign in to follow this  
harry250

xplane 11 as an external sim to drive fsx or prepar 3d ?

hello

dont know if this would be possible 

but id like to use prepar 3d as an image generator for scernery

and use xplane for flight dynamics

using an external program linked to xplane 11 driving prepar 3d 

i think many other people would be interested in this feature as well

any plans for this sort of feature ??

thanks

That's very unlikely to ever happen (at least officially from Laminar Research). The question is why would you want to do this? You would not only need to run both sims at the same time, but even if someone was to do it, the experience would be less than smooth. The only way I could see this working is if the flight dynamics from XP where seperated out into a seperate program and plugged into FSX/P3D externally.

P3D needs a quite fancy PC to run efficiently & smoothly. Imagine now adding X-Plane into the mix.

Never happen. We got 2x totally different software programs with their copyrights. (The companies are actually in opposition to each other).

It's the same as asking if Android & Windows Phone will /can combine. Water & oil cannot combine.

There is no holy grail out there.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Plus.... from a purely flight dynamics PoV, the gain wouldn't probably be substantial, if any at all....

For rotary wing, X-Plane 10 can indeed offer a better simulation, I believe, but then again, both FSX / P3D and XP rotary wings can't even compare to what you get with DCS World an their UH-1H, Mi-8 and Ka-50....

I have used, but that's different, XP10 as a visuals generator for another sim - Aerowinx PSX - but my rig is far from being up to today's standards, so, I decided to use FSX:SE instead for that purpose...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

ok i like 

tonywob idea

of an external sim / program not nesasarily xplane driving p3d as a scenery generator

i asked this because i think Elite IFR  have done just this 

as there helicopter sims show p3d graphics  

but  they must also be using there own IFR program linked to p3d to provide the flight model for accuracy

there sims cost about 20000 + 

but it  would be nice to see an option for the home user

oh just remembered something regarding xplane 10 outputing data

you can send xplane flight data out to a google earth view plugin called xplage

however google earth was limited to update 1 every sec 

i wonder if you could output xplane flight data into simconnet  /FSXHLA.exe

ive seen it done for flight gear to FSX   but could get a response for the video creator on how to set it up

p3d set to maximum for nice scenery graphics

then

xplane could be set to low minimum settings and just have the panel running on a sepasrote screen

so as to save cpu power

also computer hardware developments will catch up and so running p3d and xplane on the same machine will be feasable in a few years time

Indeed, some of teh ELITE FNPTs do use P3D for the visuals.... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I still don't get the advantage of this either way, firstly X-Plane's flight dynamics aren't much better than P3Ds (Except for helicopters), and secondly X-Plane can easily match any scenery that P3D can produce. The effort would be better spent making a tool to convert or display the scenery over into X-Plane as opposed to the other way round (and not just a tool to convert the airports)

and secondly X-Plane can easily match any scenery that P3D can produce

Cue P3D zealot outrage in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1............

:P

Cue P3D zealot outrage in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1............

:P

Not wanting to start a flame war here ;-). I mean of course that it would probably be easier to make the scenery in X-Plane that it would to get both sims talking together.

I was just thinking of the most low cost way to get an FAA approved flight model into p3d

as i remember xplane used to claim there simulator got FAA approval for training 

also 

if there was a web brouser based GEVIEW for xplane that would be amazing !!!

but i think this would be upto Robbie to decide if he wanted to do this for xplane users

The flight model wasn't all that important for the FAA approved package. Has mostly to do with the sim controlling the hardware, which was somewhere around $100,000.  It was the combined package, that received the approval. This also dates back a number of years. Somewhere between version 6 & 8. I just no longer remember.  These days, I know that FSX is also used as part of an FAA approved simulator, and I'd expect P3D to be also.................considering it's owned by Lockheed Martin for simulation purposes. Never the less, there wouldn't be an advantage by using X-Planes flight model in 3PD, in terms of

flight dynamics. 

Surely an easier way to get an FAA approved flight model into P3D would be to just develop one and seek approval?  There have been FAA approved devices based on P3D already (e.g. http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/08/4355/), so spot welding and gaffer taping two sims together (with IP and contractual concerns, never mind the technical ones!) seems like a pretty masochistic way to do it....

Not wanting to start a flame war here ;-)

No problem Tony  B)  For the record I believe XP10 with HD mesh base, G2XP with good high quality source imagery and object placement from your superb W2XP produces the best scenery available in any flight sim.

can anyone confirm the flight dynamics of p3d are better than fsx ???

as i havent tried p3d as yet

and only seen side by side videos of fsx / p3d  and they look the same