Sign in to follow this  
harry250

xplane 11 as an external sim to drive fsx or prepar 3d ?

P3D needs a quite fancy PC to run efficiently & smoothly. Imagine now adding X-Plane into the mix.

Never happen. We got 2x totally different software programs with their copyrights. (The companies are actually in opposition to each other).

It's the same as asking if Android & Windows Phone will /can combine. Water & oil cannot combine.

There is no holy grail out there.

I have a pretty unfancy PC, and P3D runs smooth as silk on mine. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

can anyone confirm the flight dynamics of p3d are better than fsx ???

The last time I tried P3D, I think it was version 2.2, the flight dynamics seemed identical to FSX. At least for me, it didn't appear to be different in this regards at all and I didn't see anything in the changelog about it being changed. If I'm honest, I don't think any sim simulates flight particularly well and although X-Plane is often marketed as having a superior flight model, I don't feel it has any advantage over P3D's method. The best I've tried is A2A's planes in FSX and majestic's Q400, neither of which are available in X-Plane that use external FDEs (Please correct if I'm wrong here). 

can anyone confirm the flight dynamics of p3d are better than fsx ???

as i havent tried p3d as yet

and only seen side by side videos of fsx / p3d and they look the same

They are the same. Any add-on will fly exactly the same in P3D as it did in FSX.

A2A still uses internal flight dynamics, although they use external systems modeling ( engine in particular ) and do peek and poke the FD cycle... As far as I know, Majestics is the only presently running totally outside of FSX / P3D in as far as flight dynamics go.

As you pointed out, in fact no difference exists between P3D1 or 2 and FSX or SE in as far as flight dynamics go. MS FLIGHT / FS11 did have differences though, for the better... but that's another story.... with a very sad end...

A good model for FSX can be as good as a good model for X-Plane, as you also pointed out elsewhere Tony.

If I had a powerful PC, or the chance to invest in one, after what I've been reading regarding 10.40 and the new DSF loading algorithm, I think I would buy and try XP10 again. The graphics would be a good reason together with the chance to use World2XP, and some photo-realistic scenery for my PSX visuals :-) and the fact that PSX does process rw and taxiway slopes in it's advanced flight dynamics and overall physics model, and reads that from X-Plane 10, which will be even better if you're using a detailed mesh... For FSX / P3D, PSX uses it's own, low resolution mesh, because FSX / P3D have a flat World ( another difference MS FLIGHT had... ), and this discrepancy causes some weird effects that VisualPSX, the bridge between FSX/P3D and PSX tries to overcome the best way it can...

Just out of curiosity, DCS World, and IL2 BoS, use both exactly the same BeT used in X-Plane, only with much more credible / plausible / detail than what is offered by X-Plane. DCS also offers the chance for developers to use external flight dynamics, but their license for development is very expensive, and as far as I know only 2 developers are presently trying their luck with that platform... but at least theoretically one could use X-Plane's flight dynamics with DCS World ( a waste since DCS's own flight dynamics is light-years ahead of X-Plane's... )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The MSFS vs XP flight model debate has been going on for years now.

Yes they do both approach flight modelling differently but neither has the upper hand. There are examples in both sims of very good flight models, and examples in both sims of very bad flight models.

Tony rightly points out probably the best flight model available in FSX/P3D is the Majestic Dash 8, which runs some (all?) of the flight dynamics external to the flight simulator and injects them into the sim. I think the main reason for this approach was MSFS/P3D's notoriously poor modelling of turboprop behaviour.

For what it's worth, probably the best flight modelling available on desktop computers is DCS.

I really need to try DCS, I hear nothing but praise for it, although I'm not really into combat simulators :-)

I really need to try DCS, I hear nothing but praise for it, although I'm not really into combat simulators :-)

I uninstalled it, as well as IL2 BoS.... Why if they were the two best flightsims I ever used ????  Simply because I was getting addicted to it, and Air Combat, specially online at some great servers both offer, although for ww2 only since I do not like modern air war.

Actually, I used not to like any sort of air war... and I felt stupid playing dogfights for hours!!!! I rushed home, almost everyday, switched the PC on before even starting to prepare dinner, and sometimes forgot it at all, as well as going to bed.... Even worst than that, I suffer from high blood pressure, controlled only with drugs, and using both sims was quite negatively interfering with it.... I had quited drinking coffee, I don't heat salt in food ( any ), I try to do exercise ( I hate that ... ) ... and was spoiling it all after a couple of hours in front of the PC playing dogfights... Nah!   PSX, or even SilentWings to try my XCSoar or LK8000 soaring software are a much better / healthier choice :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Just tried out that majestic q400

it got a nice flight model  :rolleyes:

It performs nice banks with lots of control input required to start the roll then lots of control input to stop the roll

this seems to be in line with what you see from cockpit films of pilots controling 737 etc  on final approach

constantly moving the yoke left and right and forward and backward 

so thumbs up to majestic for this one

P.S 

would like to see more payware aircraft like this implementing this sort of approach using  an external flight model /program

for the aircraft  handling

Just tried out that majestic q400

it got a nice flight model  :rolleyes:

It performs nice banks with lots of control input required to start the roll then lots of control input to stop the roll

this seems to be in line with what you see from cockpit films of pilots controling 737 etc  on final approach

constantly moving the yoke left and right and forward and backward 

so thumbs up to majestic for this one

P.S 

would like to see more payware aircraft like this implementing this sort of approach using  an external flight model /program

for the aircraft  handling

Then, if you like the 744, and are willing to pay a bit more than what you pay for your usual payware airliner, but will get the BEST EVER modeling, in ALL ASPECTS, of  a B747-400 ( all civil variants, pax and cargo included, as well as their various engine options ), do yourself a favor and get PSX :)

PSX killed all other sims for me. I would be using X-Plane 10, specially now with the News regarding DSF loading, but my rig is low end, and wouldn't run it properly, so, I use FSX:SE, with minimal settings, and ORBX FTX Global for scenery enhancement. It's even better with XP10 when flying by night!

PSX runs completely on it's own. It's a standalone simulation of the 744, and also includes it's own advanced Global Weather Model.

Main Simulation Rig: