Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Flight1 GTN or RealityXP ?

Is it true that you cannot use the RXP units and the GTN750 together?

That is true... and you would not have these units (GNS and GTN) installed together in a RW aircraft either..

Bert

I like the layout and easy use of the RXP 430/530. In real life not many airplanes have a GTN. But the RXP units do not work in P3D or FSX:Steam

You can find updated navigation data and use it for the RXP units, they use the same file system just named differently

I am kind of new to this type of avionics, having spent most of my flight sim time with the big jets.  I recently decided to buy some of the ORBX regions and I am thinking about upgrading the avionics in some of my payware/freeware GA aircraft.  Looking for a recommendation from the GA crowd as to which way to go with these GPS addons.  Also, I am confused as to whether I need two of them or just one ?

Both avionics are top notch.

RXP 530w/430w has been the trusted package for a long time.  A combination of one or both of these units is natively available in a lot of addons.  Natively meaning integrated into the VC, not just a popup.  There's no developer support anymore (not sure what happened to Jean-Luc - he seemed to fade away when Dreamfleet did).  But you shouldn't have serious issues - if you install correctly stuff just works.  Otherwise Bert and I are pretty good at helping.  

RXP/GTN navdatabases are interchangable...  and there are some updates here and there.  PM me for details.

But my recommendation is the GTN 750.  Amazing gauge, good tech support, worldwide terrain/navdata/ (and now safe taxi for EU - only if you copy over the new unsupported databases).  georeferenced approach plates - awesome, just awesome.  Downside is, not many addon integrations yet (but the GTN series is super new compared to RXP).  

All gauges can be added to an aircraft with a 2D popup.

RXP VC native integrations:

Most Carenado planes

Realair Legacy, piston and turbine Dukes

Lotus L39

Baytower RV7

Orbx Lancair

Orbx RV4

A2A Cherokee, C172,C182, Civ Mustang

Alabeo Saratoga

a few of Ant's airplanes

Aerosoft Katana 4x

and more

GTN:

Realair

A2A

a few Carenado/alabeo

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Make sure your computer is fairly current for the GTN unit.  My computer is 6 years old and the RXP has no fps impact, but the GTN will take away 5 fps on an older system.

Well I ended up buying the RealAir Turbine Duke V2 and the GTN 750.  For a guy that really never got into GA aircraft I have to say I am really enjoying this combination when flying over the ORBX NorthWest regions.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Well I ended up buying the RealAir Turbine Duke V2 and the GTN 750.  For a guy that really never got into GA aircraft I have to say I am really enjoying this combination when flying over the ORBX NorthWest regions.

Excellent choice:

1e36b8.jpg

2256f3.jpg

324d6b.jpg

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Good choice. I went one step further and use the 650/750 combo in the tduke, 650 for flight plan and 750 and traffic display. Can't beat it!

What about FPS cost? Does the Flight1 GPS reduce frame rates?

Wow the Duke is really nice to fly.  Hand flying is so smooth.  I am sure I am not flying her correctly, need to watch a few videos and delve into the manuals to do it properly.

What about FPS cost? Does the Flight1 GPS reduce frame rates?

I don't notice anything stays locked at 30.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

classic tduke v1 and dual gns setup (no crossfill): perfectly happy.

2015-6-14_9-51-0-30.jpg

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Excellent choice!

If you have the Lionheart Kodiak, you can install the GTN750 in it as well  (using my mods).,

and you have a bush plane to go with your luxury cruiser..

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=52578&title=flight1-gtn-in-lionheart-kodiak

classic tduke v1 and dual gns setup (no crossfill): perfectly happy.

2015-6-14_9-51-0-30.jpg

Looks great!

Bert

But my recommendation is the GTN 750.  Amazing gauge, good tech support, worldwide terrain/navdata/ (and now safe taxi for EU - only if you copy over the new unsupported databases).  georeferenced approach plates - awesome, just awesome.

Was just about to buy this when I noticed that although the terrain database is now worldwide, the charts/approach plates are still limited to the US only. I fly exclusively in Europe (mainly UK) so I would lose out on some important functionality.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It just keeps getting better... Glass half full or half empty comes to mind...

Bert

It just keeps getting better... Glass half full or half empty comes to mind...

So you don't use the approach plates then? I'm sure that there would be plenty of complaints if they only covered the UK.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Actually,  I only use them when flying in the U.S., and they are nice to have, no doubt.

I live in Canada and it is not covered either...

I have approach charts on paper,  or on a tablet.

When I fly in the UK, I do use the Safe Taxi charts and the terrain and navdata.

Again,  I would focus on using what  is  there  :rolleyes:

The GTN 750 is a great piece of gear, and if you fly GA, I would suggest buying it.

Bert