Sign in to follow this  
lateros

FTX Vector + FS Global 2010 and still elevation issues

I was appalled at how bad the elevation issues were with FS Global 2010. I tried the elevation fix offered with Vector, and it didn't do a darn thing in my opinion to make anything look better and in some places it looked even worse. I was going to get AFM for "free" but never got around to it. Right now, I'm not using Vector anyway, and for the FS Global mesh, I just have the N. America box in Scenery unchecked. Guess I ought to get around to getting AFM one of these days.

Do not buy this if you have FTX Global, the page you linked says this in bold. It does the same thing as FTX Global AEC. You are wasting your money by buying this and the FTX products

Actually I've FTX Global Vector and its AEC tool does a poor job of flattening some of the airports.  The AEC tool creates "bathtubs" and "plateaus" on some airports it fixed.  Anyway the AFM meshes do not have this "bathtub" and plateaus" on the airports I tried.  Anyway AFM tool is working for me.   The only issue is I need manually copy the meshes.

jimmy 

So I understand i am not the only one getting elevation issues on default airport with the combination of FTXvector and FS global 2010 "ftx version".

I just dont get why Orbx said that fs global 2010 and vector should work well together if thats not the case...

That is probably because  of how many airports FSX has. Look at this software as at any other game - it has bugs and this airport is one of them. Did you get reply from ORBX team? Are they willing to fix it? 

I think Orbx have gently stepped away from Global 2010 support. Pilots themselves were supposed to have handled it but were limited to 'give us co-ordinates'. Personally, I ditched Global 2010 and make do with Orbx specific meshes, i.e. the ones that come with full fats. Since then I've not seen another elevation issue. I do have Vector and run the AEC whenever I fart about with scenery.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Has anyone had his problem with FSGenesis mesh instead of FS Global?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

All higher LOD meshes will give this issue, the problem is that many of the default runways are at the wrong elevation and do not follow the terrain.

Better mesh highlights this even further

FTX Global attempts to smooth these anomalies out with its elevation correction meshes but these are not always enough.

At least Pilots software includes a tutorial on creating flattens using Flight1's AFX program, but if you have hills all around an airport you need to flatten a wide area which will eat into those hills and look odd.

Used along with Orbx Vector FTX Global2010 has the least amount of issues, FSGenesis is much worse especially the higher LOD NextMap product.

You could commission TopoSim run by Justin the former owner of FSGenesis to fix some of them.

http://www.toposim.net/what-we-do/

Thanks all for your answers. I do now understand thats there is no way to entirely get rid of elevation issues when you have a high quality mesh like fs global 2010 even if it is working along with ftx vector.

The only question now is : is it better to have elevation issues with a good mesh+ftx vector OR default mesh+ftx vector but not any elevation issues

To me FS global improved a lot in mountainous regions in Europe and I prefer to avoid airfields with issues than going with default mesh but whatever is better for you choose it :)

Get the AFM from

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

The mesh fix is more gradual.  You wouldn't see the "plateau" effect.  By the way, it says it's not compatible with FS Global 2010 FTX.  All that means is you need to manually copy the needed mesh to your p3d/fsx directory.

Good luck.

jimmy

jimmy, did you notice the warning: "ATTENTION! This version of AFM was NOT designed to work with FS/FTX Global Vector installed! We are considering to offer a V2.0 soon"  ?

Thanks,

Dirk.

I think Orbx have gently stepped away from Global 2010 support. Pilots themselves were supposed to have handled it but were limited to 'give us co-ordinates'. Personally, I ditched Global 2010 and make do with Orbx specific meshes, i.e. the ones that come with full fats. 

Ron, could you rephrase the above.

Much thanks,

Dirk.

Certainly.

I think Orbx have stepped gently away from Global 2010 support. Pilots themselves were supposed to have handled it but seemed to me to be limited to 'give us co-ordinates'. Personally, I ditched Global 2010 and make do with Orbx specific meshes, i.e. the ones that come with full fats.

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

make do with Orbx specific meshes, i.e. the ones that come with full fats.

Ok... what are 'full fats'?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Orbx FTX "Regions" which contain their own mesh.

I have found that Pilot's Mesh does indeed leave many important airports on "plateaus"(i.e. MCAS Miramar and Ramona in Southern California for example)but the trade off is much improved, higher fidelity terrain when used with FTX Global and Vector.    I got so ticked-off at Pilot's at not being able to fix some airport elevation issues I un-installed it.    But I immediately reinstalled it when I saw how poor some mountain ranges looked without it.

C.

Orbx FTX "Regions" which contain their own mesh.

I have found that Pilot's Mesh does indeed leave many important airports on "plateaus"(i.e. MCAS Miramar and Ramona in Southern California for example)but the trade off is much improved, higher fidelity terrain when used with FTX Global and Vector.    I got so ticked-off at Pilot's at not being able to fix some airport elevation issues I un-installed it.    But I immediately reinstalled it when I saw how poor some mountain ranges looked without it.

C.

Well, there should probably be a disclaimer that airport elevation problems should be expected because of the design flaws of FSX. It's not PILOT's fault. I mean, we can't really expect them to ensure 20,000 airports will align perfectly.

That's the benefit of the FTX regions though. They do make sure and manually blend in each airport with their mesh. Because those regions are much smaller than the global scale.