Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Boeing 787-9 near vertical takeoff

WOW! It's not a fully vertical takeoff, but the position of the camera makes it look that way. That quick level off was a little thrilling too. I bet for an instant, there was some zero gee weeeeeeeeee going on.

https://youtu.be/pxvwGppH4zg

All new airliners can do this with basically nothing on board.  There was an old 747-300 video that showed some amazing moves as well.  I also saw a video of a then new 707 that did a roll in the air. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Yeah, I remember "Tex" Johnston's little stunt. None of the people on the ground, nor the Beoing officials, knew he was going to do it beforehand. He got a dressing down for it too when he landed. Years later, the test pilot for the Boeing 777, John Cashman, was specifically told: "No rolls". I guess they still remembered Tex's stunt. :lol:

https://youtu.be/AaA7kPfC5Hk

WOW! It's not a fully vertical takeoff, but the position of the camera makes it look that way.

Yes I saw that clip on the front page of the BBC UK news website tonight.   It was beside another news item entitled:...

"Man with first successful penis transplant to become a father".  

(The two stories aren't related..but there's got to be a joke there somewhere ;-)  :

It's a simply awesome demonstration and a really nice video to compliment it. Whether or not all new airliners can do this doesn't change the fact that you don't see this very often.

. The one tunnelcat linked to is shortened and uploaded by another channel.

Brandon Filer

Technically near vertical takeoffs are possible if the plane is light.

Swapnil Sirdeshpande

Technically near vertical takeoffs are possible if the plane is light.

No, not in the case of 787-9 which has empty weight close to 140 T yet its engines can only develop about 30 T of thrust. 

It ain't an F-16.

So nowhere near 'close' to vertical but trick photography can make it look like almost vertical.

No, not in the case of 787-9 which has empty weight close to 140 T yet its engines can only develop about 30 T of thrust. 

It ain't an F-16.

So nowhere near 'close' to vertical but trick photography can make it look like almost vertical.

+1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I want a takeoff like that on my next flight.  Offload that cargo and everyone else off the plane so we can takeoff near vertical. Best roller coaster ever.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

The inside story of that incredible takeoff from the Boeing Chief Pilot.

RJ

I've been on a 787-9 already. All I can say is it is amazing how an airline can take the most amazing aircraft ever built and ruin it with their rude and crappy service.

Matthew Kane

If you don't believe that is nearly vertical, take another look at the video and notice the runway markings under the tail.