Sign in to follow this  
torfih

Why does every X-Plane update ruin buttons and joystick/yoke setup?

I use X-Assign for different kind of aircraft/rotorcraft but each and every minor update ruins this work, pretty annoying work to go through every time ....

Is there any way to avoid this?

Torfi

thought xp  wasn't  supported  any more  by updates?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

XP as in X-Plane, wer'e in the X-Plane gen forum. Sorry for the confusion, changed the title.

Torfi

Am I the only one having to re-assign buttons after X-Plane updates? If so, how can I avoid this?

Torfi

I have never had to re-assign buttons after an update. 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Strange, my setup, Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant buttons always change after updates, I use X-Assign as well, maybe that's the culprit?

Torfi

I had that too, not sure what the cause is (I use x-assign too). I have a work-around that might help you too:

I have all commands I use assigned to keys within XP. And I use my Saitek Software to have yoke and throttle-buttons trigger those keys. Different profiles allow customization per aircraft. That's it. Once set up it works rock solid. I guess most hardware devices come with software that would allow to do it this way.

Flo

I don't have Saitek controllers, but I know with CH controllers, you do NOT want to use the CH Control Manager to assign axis and buttons, as it adds an extra (confusing to XP) layer that often gets screwed up.  X-Plane should be able to "see" all USB device buttons and axis in the X-Plane menu without the Saitek software.  Once you assign things directly in X-Plane, it will "stick" through updates.

With CH, the extra CH Control Manager often caused glitches with potentiometer readings with (apparently) X-Plane and CH Control Manager each fighting to define the axis position.  Unless Saitek has something that blocks X-Plane for directly seeing the controller switches, there should be no reason to use Saitek software - unless you use your controllers for other software that can't see the Saitek controllers directly.  In that case, I think you will have to live with it.

The point is, that, when using x-assign, buttons get messed up often. I think it has to do with Laminar adding new commands and thus changing the ranking/order. X-assign seems to rely on a given order.

This is only with buttons but having about 20 button on (e.g.) saitek yoke and throttle and having 4 different assignments for 4 different planes....you will want both: x-assign and update-save button assignments.

Regards

Flo