Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

Massive performance issues with new Nvidia drivers

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but I already asked in the drivers forum and haven't received a response yet. I noticed some serious performance issues with any Nvidia driver that goes beyond 347.52. My fps went from 20-30 (before driver update) to 12-15 and it lags horribly. I noticed this only when using PMDG aircraft and I am running FSX non SE with a triple screen setup in DX10.

Further setup information: Win7 64bit, i7 4770k 4,3GHz, GTX770 Phantom 4GB, 500GB SSD, 8GB RAM

I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

I have found that the GeForce 337.88's WHQL ,give the highest, most consistent FPS over all the following driver versions, at least driving a GTX680 2GB card.  I have stayed with with it. It gives me locked 30's...and is very stable driving FSX:MS, P3D v2.4, XP.40b1, and FS9.

Ses

I did a clean install. Uninstalled previous driver via control panel, rebooted and installed only the display driver and PhysX. DId that already a few times but to no avail. It doesn't matter which version unless it is 347.52 and below.

I doubt the problem is with the drivers. Most likely your FSX.cfg thought you got a new display. I would delete all of the Display entries like the following from your FSX.cfg, restart and let them be rebuilt.

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780.0.0]

Mode=2560x1600x32

You can also move your fsx.cfg to a temporary folder, restart FSX, and let the config rebuild. There may be a tweak or setting that got corrupted.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Follow Jim's advice but also consider:

Q1) Has your system had any major Windows updates recently or might you have any new application processes running in the background?

Q2) Are you running any addons for DX10? I believe FSX SE is no more compatible with DX10 than the original FSX.

Q3) Are you using Nvidia Inspector? If so rebuild the Inspector profiles after installing or reinstalling the Nvidia driver and choose Nvidia Inspector settings for DX10.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

My performance is also awful. Cut in half. Fps 5-15 on approach. My Titan cannot do 2xSGSS anymore. I used to get 20fps on approach and ground an locked 30 in the air. Now 5-15 on approach and ground, and 15-25 in air.

I also had trouble with several of the later drivers, but the 347.88 worked pretty well for me and now I'm using the 353.12, performance is great on my system and my sim is even smoother then with the 337.88.

Cheers!

Maarten

So FRUSTRATED. Everything is a chore with FSX. Updated drivers make things worse. Airplanes do not run right. Scenery problems. It's endless

Here is my expensive computer sitting on the ground at FT YSSY, NO WEATHER. NORMAL AUTOGEN. NO AI or ground traffic

Unbelievable

uglpJfy.jpg

14 FJRI$#*^$#^&*#$ FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am retiring and throwing my computer in the trash. It is worthless if I have to use old drivers that do not run new games correctly. I cannot afford just a dedicated FSX computer and another computer for other games. Goodbye fs world.

Let me assume,Your CPU must have a serious cooling-problem. Any tweaks recently ?

Let me say that with Xplane I have the very same effect with anything above 337.88 (have not tried 347.52) and I'm forced to stick with those because with anything recent brings immediately stutters and decreased FPS (and xplane uses OpenGL not Directx). Could be a coincidence but I have the same video card: GTX 770 4Gb VRAM. I've read in the Xplane forum another couple of complains on the same tone after upgrading to new drivers and that led me to believe this this card is not  perfectly compatible with new drivers.