Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

Massive performance issues with new Nvidia drivers

So FRUSTRATED. Everything is a chore with FSX. Updated drivers make things worse. Airplanes do not run right. Scenery problems. It's endless

Here is my expensive computer sitting on the ground at FT YSSY, NO WEATHER. NORMAL AUTOGEN. NO AI or ground traffic

Unbelievable

uglpJfy.jpg

14 FJRI$#*^$#^&*#$ FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am retiring and throwing my computer in the trash. It is worthless if I have to use old drivers that do not run new games correctly. I cannot afford just a dedicated FSX computer and another computer for other games. Goodbye fs world.

Gotta admit the resolution on that pic is stunning. Are you maxing out the sliders ?

So FRUSTRATED. Everything is a chore with FSX... Unbelievable

Please consider you are running demanding addon aircraft and so must have a strategy of choosing realistic settings to work with your hardware for the optimum experience. E.g. what is the point running FSX above 1920x1080 if your primary goal is using a study addon like NGX? Please don't be one of those users who wants to "max out" all the settings!

Q1) Can you give me your full system hardware spec please?

Q2) Are you over clocking your CPU, if so how high and what temperatures are you getting?

Q3) Check in BIOS your memory is running at it's rated speed either via XMP profile or set it manually.

Q4) Are you using Nvidia Inspector - this is important? If so please tell me what settings you have for FSX.

Q5) Are you running any FSX environmental addons for weather or traffic etc?

Q6) What FSX cfg tweaks are you using?

Q7) Are you clean booting your system for an FSX session? Use the RUN command and msconfig and tell me what processes are running?

Q8) Please try FSX with default or less demanding aircraft and tell us the performance you get?

Also please don't give up with flightsim! Yes FSX can be very frustrating but there are other simulators out there:

X-plane

Prepar3d

DCS World free

Flightgear free

FS2004 - still life in that sim (plus you can max out all the settings ;)!)

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Gotta admit the resolution on that pic is stunning. Are you maxing out the sliders ?

1080p and no, autogen normal. No AI or ground traffic

Please consider you are running demanding addon aircraft and so must have a strategy of choosing realistic settings to work with your hardware for the optimum experience. E.g. what is the point running FSX above 1920x1080 if your primary goal is using a study addon like NGX? Please don't be one of those users who wants to "max out" all the settings!

Q1) Can you give me your full system hardware spec please?

Q2) Are you over clocking your CPU, if so how high and what temperatures are you getting?

Q3) Check in BIOS your memory is running at it's rated speed either via XMP profile or set it manually.

Q4) Are you using Nvidia Inspector - this is important? If so please tell me what settings you have for FSX.

Q5) Are you running any FSX environmental addons for weather or traffic etc?

Q6) What FSX cfg tweaks are you using?

Q7) Are you clean booting your system for an FSX session? Use the RUN command and msconfig and tell me what processes are running?

Q8) Please try FSX with default or less demanding aircraft and tell us the performance you get?

Also please don't give up with flightsim! Yes FSX can be very frustrating but there are other simulators out there:

X-plane

Prepar3d

DCS World free

Flightgear free

FS2004 - still life in that sim (plus you can max out all the settings ;)!)

4ghz i7, 16gb ram, win7 x64, ssd primary and fsx on secondary ssd, Nvidia Titan video card

Yes but only to 4ghz, barely anything. No trouble in other games or system tests

Yes bios setup correctly

Yes I follow the guides for NI

Asn for weather

Only basis teaks like affinity mask 62 and highmemfix

same problem trying default aircraft and no weather I only get around 25 fps on ground using no AI traffic and no ground traffic. Or flying above big cities and in complicated airport scenery. normal autogen. NI to 8x AF and multisampling only.

something is causing huge fps hits on the ground, my system should be able to handle this and give me 30fps shouldn't it?

1080p and no, autogen normal. No AI or ground traffic

4ghz i7, 16gb ram, win7 x64, ssd primary and fsx on secondary ssd, Nvidia Titan video card

Yes but only to 4ghz, barely anything. No trouble in other games or system tests

Yes bios setup correctly

Yes I follow the guides for NI

Asn for weather

Only basis teaks like affinity mask 62 and highmemfix

same problem trying default aircraft and no weather I only get around 25 fps on ground using no AI traffic and no ground traffic. Or flying above big cities and in complicated airport scenery. normal autogen. NI to 8x AF and multisampling only.

something is causing huge fps hits on the ground, my system should be able to handle this and give me 30fps shouldn't it?

Yes, you should be doing better, especially with AI traffic completely off and autogen trees/buildings on Normal.   I have not flown FSX in a while as I have moved to P3D myself but I went through all the pain and suffering you are going through now when I was on FSX and I did have success somewhat.

Are you utilizing DX10 via Steve's DirectX 10 Fixer software?

Are you liquid cooled on your CPU?   I have a 3930k 6-core I7 running @ 4.6ghz and it's rock solid.   If you can get your processor up a little more your FSX will thank you for it.

Do you get the low FPS results regardless of if you are locked or unlocked on your FPS?    

Is your FPS low but your smoothness steady and stutter free still?

What are your AA settings in Nvidia Inspector?  Completely off on everything?

You mentioned default aircraft are also giving you low FPS?    Default FSX should be screaming on your rig at over 60+ FPS.   I remember my default FSX doing almost 200 FPS unlimited in Exterior view during fly by mode up in the sky with a default Boeing 737.

There are so many factors that all have to work together it can be a trick juggling it into the right order.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

4ghz i7, 16gb ram, win7 x64, ssd primary and fsx on secondary ssd, Nvidia Titan video card.

... Only basis teaks like affinity mask 62 and highmemfix

... NI to 8x AF and multisampling only.

Q1) What i7 model is it?

Q2) Could you possibly show all the text for the tweaks you're using?

Q3) Are you using bufferpools tweaks?

Q4) Have you tested without the affinity mask tweak? I've never seen conclusive evidence for using affinity masks with FSX.

Q5) You're card should be able to run the highest AF setting, which AF mode are you using? (or did you mean 8X AA?)

Q6) Could you post a screenshot of your NI settings?

And my previous question:

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

I cannot afford just a dedicated FSX computer and another computer for other games. Goodbye fs world.

You don't need one. Just install a second OS for FSX exclusively on another partition or drive.

LORBY-SI

Install P3D - that should help  :p0502:  I  had enough of fsx - I was looking for a new hobby - but 3PD changed that 

Rich Sennett

Install P3D - that should help  :p0502:  I  had enough of fsx - I was looking for a new hobby - but 3PD changed that 

I wasn't going to go there but....   yeah.. XD  Pretty much this too.   I quit FSX and stopped flying for 8 months after I got tired of the crashing, poor performance and DO THIS DO THAT threads that contradict themselves and all the guides out there.    One should not require that many tweak guides to get good performance out of anything, especially when the 2004 version destroys it utterly in performance and you are left wondering why you ever moved from 2004 to FSX.    As I still like my pretty graphics and outstanding performance thought, I dropped the cash and jumped into the P3D seat and never looked back.   But...  if that is not an option for you there are still ways to smack FSX upside the head and get it to perform moderately well.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Ok updated the driver again. It seems that only in DX10 mode the fps are bad. I rebuilt my .cfg and applied only a couple of necessary tweaks. Using DX9, the sim runs smooth like a baby butt at a steady 30fps in the PMDG 777 at FTs YSSY. Switching to DX10 and the joy is gone, 5fps now lol... clearly a driver issue. Looks like I have to stay with DX9 now and beg for not getting any OOMs again, oh well..

EDIT: Just checked my GPU usage in DX10: 0% :lol:

... the 2004 version destroys it utterly in performance and you are left wondering why you ever moved from 2004 to FSX.

Yeah, tell me about it! I just don't understand what Microsoft and Aces were thinking with FSX. The fundamental consideration for a flightsim is fidelity. They should have released FS9.2 instead!

Switching to DX10 and the joy is gone

Glad you've seen improvements. However you must realise that FSX ships with a DX10 "Preview Mode" which is known to be buggy. Many addons are not even DX10 compatible. Most people are running FSX in DX9.

Regards, Django EGLL.

Glad you've seen improvements. However you must realise that FSX ships with a DX10 "Preview Mode" which is known to be buggy. Many addons are not even DX10 compatible. Most people are running FSX in DX9.

It's not really an improvement, unfortunately. After further tesing I found that my VAS usage is too high, starting out at 3.5GB at FTs YSSY vs 2.9 in DX10. Had to roll the driver back again. It's not as fluid fps-wise but at least I won't get any OOMs and the visuals are also better. I know this DX10 feature isn't polished in any way but Steve's fixer does a pretty good job at making it useful. No matter how you use FSX, it's always the hog it has been for the past 10 years...

There is a discussion on Guru3D.com about NVidia potentially downgrading series 7 cards (Kepler GPU) performance with the latest drivers. One of their representatives actually acknowledged that NVidia is looking at it. Try driver 353.12, which was issued apparently as a "hotfix" driver to normalise Kepler based GPU performance.

There is a discussion on Guru3D.com about NVidia potentially downgrading series 7 cards (Kepler GPU) performance with the latest drivers.

:o If it can be proven that Nvidia were:

1) Intentionally downgrading performance in Kepler as opposed to optimising Maxwell at the expence of previous generation cards;

2) Not being open about performance degradation with Kepler cards and newer drivers;

then that would be *absolutely* appalling - it doesn't sound professional either... in fact I find it hard to believe since many people would simply not buy Nvidia again!

Regards, Django EGLL.

Most people are running FSX in DX9.

Really ?

Most screenshots I see these days from FSX are in DX10

DX10 is clearly superior in both performance and graphics and is pretty much 100% fixed now with Steve's DX10 fixer. why would anyone still use DX9 ?

I recently upgraded to 353.06 on the GTX780 and P3D 2.5 and had poor performance. I was able to fix this by clearing the [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780.0.0] from the P3D.CFG and also clearing the Shades cache and allowing it to be rebuilt the next time the app was started.

\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

or 

\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\LockheedMartin\P3D

Now I am getting the same performance as 347.88.

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W