Sign in to follow this  
digga

Cost of shipping manual to Australia?

Hi there,

I would really like some of the manuals you guys have for sale.  But the cost of sending it by Fed ex is around $180.  Far more than the manuals are worth.  Is there another delivery option you guys could look into instead of using Fed ex? As i'm sure you are aware delivery costs for international deliveries can make purchases prohibitive.  Amazon nailed this problem with better delivery rates.  Please let me know.  Many thanks.  Steve

Hi there,

I would really like some of the manuals you guys have for sale.  But the cost of sending it by Fed ex is around $180.  Far more than the manuals are worth.  Is there another delivery option you guys could look into instead of using Fed ex? As i'm sure you are aware delivery costs for international deliveries can make purchases prohibitive.  Amazon nailed this problem with better delivery rates.  Please let me know.  Many thanks.  Steve

Seems like us foreign people get the choice of FedEx and FedEx. Great company, if a tad?? expensive for USA to Aus freight. You would think there would be another 'cheaper' alternative, even if this requires freight insurance, just to be prudent. "shopmate" looks interesting. Be interesting to see some worked examples of what the total cost will be.

I recall this subject coming up previously over the years when ever there is a new a/c released, and PMDG considered FedEx an excellent company.

Geoff Bryce

Steve,

I would recommend finding a print shop locally to which you can send a .pdf downloaded from PMDG. This will then give you a high quality document.

HTH

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I understand that because the PMDG manuals are clearly  copyright, a repuable print shop won't accept the work.

Incidentally, what is the shipping weight, height, width, and depth of a set of manuals?

The basic problem is that international shipping isn't cheap and paper manuals are both bulky and heavy. On that shopmate site shipping a ladies handbag is quoted at over 50 AUD. You might find it isn't that much cheaper than Fedex.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The basic problem is that international shipping isn't cheap and paper manuals are both bulky and heavy. On that shopmate site shipping a ladies handbag is quoted at over 50 AUD. You might find it isn't that much cheaper than Fedex.

That's why I asked. Air freight isn't cheap for heavy, bulk goods like manuals over long distances..

I have had goods sent from the UK approaching 2kg for about $50.   But the problem of sending paper across the world does seem a bit 20th century.  The suggestion of a localy printed PDF does raise interest and seems the easiest for everybody.  I'm sure all of us agree no one would cheat PMDG out of a few dollars.  All of us here use their sim and can plainly see the massive work that has gone into it and the support.  I would love to have a mutally beneficial arrangement to have a paper version in my hands.  But I'm sensing this is problem in the "too hard" basket.  Whilst I'm sure PMDG don't make any extra of the transport, I feel its more of a Fed Ex "take it or leave it".  I would like to hear what PMDG's official take on this is given everyone here wants to support them and I'm sure 90% of us would want a nice big glossy book.  I would hope PMDG could develop and optimise this part of their business.  They already have the IP wrote down and printed and most of us would want it.  Surely there MUST be other mutually beneficial options?  Steve

I have had goods sent from the UK approaching 2kg for about $50.

That's why I'd like to knew what's the cost of shipping a set of PMDG manuals. I have a few computer manuals that weigh  about 2kg, so three of those could cost about $150.

Whilst I'm sure PMDG don't make any extra of the transport, I feel its more of a Fed Ex "take it or leave it". I would like to hear what PMDG's official take on this is given everyone here wants to support them and I'm sure 90% of us would want a nice big glossy book.

While I understand your frustration, I believe you have crossed from complaining to ranting.  I do not speak for PMDG, but I have read them explain that they use FedEX because they need receipt of delivery and there are few options.  If you have a better option then that would be of interest to them.  As far as printing goes, this is not a PMDG decision. The property belongs to Boeing and is offered as-is under license from them to PMDG.

I doubt 90% want a book, of the many thousands of customers worldwide the paper issue only comes up about once a year.

Finally, please not that forum rules require full names on all posts.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan, my question still stands.  Is there a cheaper alternative that PMDG can offer except Fed-Ex?  This was directed at PMDG, which they have yet to answer (its not a big problem really, they can take there time, its not life threatening).  The costs I mentioned was given by their automated shipping calculator after putting in all my details for delivery to Sydney Australia.  It only gave me 2 options.  Fed-Ex Std or Fed-Ex Priority about $10 difference.  

A few people have helpfully suggested a few options ranging from a 3rd party shipping company to printing out the manual locally.  I felt compelled to contribute to the conversation as its clear at least a couple of posts here also wish to have manuals as well.  Living in Australia we are used to having to pay large costs for delivery.  Its not uncommon for Australians to ask web masters or owners "directly" querying if they can bundle or send 2nd class.  I would appreciate it if you didn't jump to conclusions that I am complaining or ranting.   Your statement about "going from complaining to ranting" adds nothing positive to this forum.  You do not need to defend PMDG policy or rescue the tone of the forum, no one here was speaking ill of PMDG they are all just putting ideas into a melting pot to solve a problem.  Besides this the rest of your post has useful information.

It was and still is a legitimate question that was directed at PMDG.  If PMDG say.."Sorry thats the best we can do"…or "We can send via normal sea mail/Australia Post system,.. but will take 1 month"…. then thats their answer.   I only want to ask the question.  If they had a direct email link on their website I would have used that and not the forum, but they have chosen for this to be their method of communication.   Given the active and helpful input of many members I can see how this could cut down on their support side.

By the way I love the PMDG products, their 737 its the only plane I fly in MSFX.

Finally, I'm sorry that I didn't supply my full name I only post on AVSIM very rarely and don't have a Signature setup.

Steve Belcher

MGH,

On their website if you add the set of manuals into your shopping cart, click next then click on "Shipping estimation", then add your country, suburb and postcode.  It will give you a costing.  Then you can cancel the order.

Steve Belcher

MGH,

On their website if you add the set of manuals into your shopping cart, click next then click on "Shipping estimation", then add your country, suburb and postcode. It will give you a costing. Then you can cancel the order.

Where did i say I didn't know the cost of shipping?

Where did i say I didn't know the cost of shipping?

Sorry misunderstood you.

Steve Belcher

Might be an option: https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/our-services/how-shopmate-works

Relatively new program with Australia Post. I've never used it so cannot vouch for it.

Checked this out……seems interesting.  Might try it with something small first.

Steve Belcher

Checked this out……seems interesting. Might try it with something small first.

Steve Belcher

Steve,

Shopmate appears to be mainly there to get around the problem that some US companies only ship to US addresses. Rather than try shipping a small item, why not price up the cost of shipping the manuals. You may well find it won't save you much over Fedex to your address and you will still have to pay the cost of Fedex shipping to shopmate's US warehouse.

You aren't the first person who has asked about international shipping costs for the manuals. If you search the forum you will almost certainly find the official answer from PMDG to your query. but it will be very much along the lines Dan has posted.

As for the other suggestions, printing locally is a complete non starter. For the same reason you can't print your PDF manuals.

Personally I find the searchable PDF format much more useful than a hard copy, and it takes up no space. The only manual I would like in hard copy form is the QRH, but that's nearly $250 for a colour copy. Way out of my budget for the use I might get out of it.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Kevin H,

After getting so much feedback from you and the other guys.  It seems inevitable, I may have to forgo the Paper version.  Its a shame as I would have loved to have had a nice shiny PMDG manual to start playing the 777 I want to purchase from PMDG.  Even had permission from "she who must be obeyed" to pay the extra couple hundred dollars to "...get the manual as well,.. as you always play it and it will keep you quiet..."  

After doing the PMDG tutorial of the 737 I bought Captain Mike Ray's PDF instruction for more detail.  Unfortunately he doesn't have a 777.  But not to worry I will still enjoy trying out the new 777.  Not having the manual will not stop me from purchasing it as I suspect it may be similar in work flows etc.  I'm sure there are many You tubes to help with instructions on the different CDU and overhead flows.

Many thanks to all who gave their opinions and suggestions. It is touching that we are all bound by a common love of avaiation and are willing to help other enthusiasts with lesser experience.  Please don't stop and please have a little patience, what might be the same 100th question to you guys could be the thing that stops someone progressing.  Not everyone is experienced with the subtle nuances of forumns and their search fields yield varied results.  Its all, your experience which is invaluable in helping newbies and more experienced simmers to advance and broaden our hobby/obsession.

Thanks again guys stay safe.

Steve Belcher