Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Incredible! 25.000 airports are now populated!

Wow, another case of the community addressing the complaints of X-Plane :smile:. I'm presuming because it's using OpenSceneryX it can't be uploaded to the gateway, but it's still a very impressive undertaking. Congratulations to all involved.

Wow, another case of the community addressing the complaints of X-Plane :smile:. I'm presuming because it's using OpenSceneryX it can't be uploaded to the gateway, but it's still a very impressive undertaking. Congratulations to all involved.

I have noticed though...that the airports, don't have taxi ways out to the runways...I have basically green open field around the runways..but no taxi ways to the actual 'airport property'...  I have this folder sitting right under Global Airports, as directed.  Hmmm...

I have noticed though...that the airports, don't have taxi ways out to the runways...I have basically green open field around the runways..but no taxi ways to the actual 'airport property'...  I have this folder sitting right under Global Airports, as directed.  Hmmm...

From what I understand, only airports with just one runway have taxiways connection. For this reason the package is split in one-runway and multiple-runways files.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Are the taxiways laid out according to the real world, or are they just default templates?

I didn´t quite understand the description - but it sounds like these airports are procedurally generated (with the runways derived from default X-Plane data), so this package might be what could best be named "autogen" airports with little resemblance to real-world facilities, save for the runways...

Nevertheless, another good step forward from what we had before!

Jan

Is there a list which airports are included?

The download consists of 4 zip files and 1 PDF file in all. One of them is called "List of airports and demo airport.zip".

So I would say the answer is "yes" B) 

I just downloaded this zip and the included CSV file reads 34,254 airport entries...

So this will be a very good extension for X-Plane and I think everyone might very much appreciate it...

After reading up on it, I'm still confused on one point...

Are the airport building, structure, tarmac and taxiway locations accurate for each airport or is this download an effort to populate all airports with plausible "detail" so they are more than just runways in the middle of nothingness? 

Dont work for me. Everytime when i try to load an airport from the list, it crashes my sim.

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

Are the airport building, structure, tarmac and taxiway locations accurate for each airport or is this download an effort to populate all airports with plausible "detail" so they are more than just runways in the middle of nothingness? 

From what I understand, they're procedurally generated. Still a lot lot better than the default, IMHO, especially considering that it's a perfect complement to the current 1700+ (and growing) crowdsourced airports.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

From what I understand, they're procedurally generated. 

What does that mean exactly?

How is it determining where to put what?  

From airport charts (for those that have them)?  

Just putting in x amount and size of buildings given the size and/or class airspace of a given airport?

As far as I understand it there are 14 different small airport (GA) types for three different climate regions which create plausible scenarios based on available runway, taxiway and ramp XP10 layout data: 

(quote from http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=27582)

"14 different airport versions in 3 different climate regions (dry, medium and wet)"

(unquote)

Dont work for me. Everytime when i try to load an airport from the list, it crashes my sim.

I just updated my OpenSceneryX folder from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1 via the "OpenSceneryX Installer.exe" which worked flawlessly.

No I will try the actual installation. 

Will report... B)

@Vr:

Thanks for the response.

Wish this was more exciting to me.  

I guess it's better than "nothing" at an airport, but I'm not sure it's that great either.

I suppose it depends what you're trying to simulate.  If it's just the flying without regard for accuracy in where you're flying to/from it's nice to have "something" at that airport, albeit just made up stuff that's totally incorrect.

Hopefully the list of good paid and free airports continues to grow and the existing ones continue to get updated (the latter point being nearly as important as the former)

@Vr:

Thanks for the response.

Wish this was more exciting to me.  

I guess it's better than "nothing" at an airport, but I'm not sure it's that great either.

I suppose it depends what you're trying to simulate.  If it's just the flying without regard for accuracy in where you're flying to/from it's nice to have "something" at that airport, albeit just made up stuff that's totally incorrect.

Hopefully the list of good paid and free airports continues to grow and the existing ones continue to get updated (the latter point being nearly as important as the former)

Everything installed flawlessly. It works! Here are some screenshots:

(I picked some airports from the X-Plane world map of airport development status http://x-plane.cleverest.eu/ )

As expected: for big airports like EKBI-(Billund), no change:

EKBI-%28Billund%29.jpg?dl=0

For small airports (like for example below in Denmark, Sweden and Norway it works fine).

EKSB (Sonderborg):

EKSB-%28Sonderborg%29.jpg?dl=0

ESKB (Barkarby):

ESKB-%28Barkarby%29.jpg?dl=0

ENDU-(Bardufoss):

ENDU-%28Bardufoss%29.jpg?dl=0

Where it does not seem to work correctly is when no ramps are defined by default like in EKAH-(Aarhus):

EKAH-%28Aarhus%29.jpg?dl=0

So IMO it is definitely an optical enrichment to the standard scenery of small airports. If one wants or must have perfection in airport detail though, this is for sure not the usage intended by the scenery's author...

Thanks for your report, Claus!