Sign in to follow this  

4K monitors and 60Hz ...

I know several folks have asked me about 30 Hz and 60 Hz ... I run my Sony XBR49x850b via it's HDMI 2.0 ports to GPUs that support HDMI 2.0 and have not had any issues or image quality reduction running at 30 Hz or 60 Hz.

For flight sims I operate at 30Hz, for 3D racing sims/games I operate at 60 Hz.

Here is a sample 60Hz output at 4K res (YouTube will compress the video so native source looks better).  Color quality is excellent, no artifacts, no motion blur:

I've heard rumors that 4K isn't good enough yet ... well, I'll disagree with those rumors.  Buyers just need to be careful with their purchases as all 4K monitors/TVs are NOT the same.

1.  You need a video card that supports 60Hz output for 4K 

2.  You'll need a monitor that supports 60Hz output for 4K ... look for HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 or higher

3.  For nVidia you need to install the 3D Vision drivers to see the 60Hz support (at least in my case that was required)

Cheers, Rob.

It might be worth anyone successfully running a 4k TV to post the exact model ref no as Rob has done please, that way any of us looking to consider alternatives have some useful info to work on?  Just looking at TV outlets in the UK online, I've found that some don't even distinguish between HDMI1 and 2 ports, and finding info on whether and how you can specify the refresh rate is nigh on impossible.  Asking reps in store is even worse, I've found none yet that even know the difference between HDMI 1 and 2, let alone someone that can tell me which TVs have which! :(

I don't have the budget to buy and hope what I get works, so will stick with what I have (humble 1900x1200 HannsG) until I can get something that works for the right price :)  K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I should have uploaded the 60 fps version to my Google drive for download ... it's a huge file so I'll trim it.  But that's of course assuming one can playback 4K 60 fps ... hence why I just uploaded to YouTube at 30 fps.

I'm not sure if YouTube supports 60 fps 4K?

Agree with Kevin, if you have your 4K monitor working at 60Hz and looking good it's worth noting the exact model and what ports you use and your GPU.

Cheers, Rob.

Here is a link to downloading 60 fps recorded video at 4K res using my Sony monitor.  File is about 2GB and I stepped up the data rate so image quality should be better than what I normally post on YouTube.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyMHl2VXZTbVJLaHc/view?usp=sharing

Highly recommend using CyberLink DVD 15 Ultra for stutter-free playback after you download.

4K @ 60Hz (Vsync to 60 FPS) works very well.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, what about the small scaling of the FSX Title Bar and ATC messages that result from using a 4K monitor?  I have to squint to read them.  I'm using a GTX 970 graphics card on a Win 7 OS.  The flying and scenery are great, just wish there was a way to enhance the FSX text.

Your help is always appreciated.

JOHN

Austin, Texas

Samsung 55 inch 4K 3840X2160 for the last 6 months.   Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooth

JH

Rob, which excatly Sony 4K monitor do you use?

This one: http://store.sony.com/48.5-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR49X850B/cat-27-catid-EOL-XBR-4K-Ultra-HDTVs  - has had 6 firmware updates (they're automatic wireless or NIC) ... HDMI 2.0 ports

ob, what about the small scaling of the FSX Title Bar and ATC messages that result from using a 4K monitor?

Not sure what you mean here, at 49" they are easy to read ... if you run smaller screen sizes I can see it might be hard.  To be honest 42-49" is the smallest screen size I'd use for 4K monitors ... I sorta regret not getting the 55".

Cheers, Rob.

So funny, I was just in Frys as I'm doing the "Bash Trial" which consists of a bunch of receipts and trips to the store until I find my perfect setup...which will probably never happen. I'm headed to Frye right now actually. I purchased a second 970, but it's a different model so the SLI won't enable. Doesn't matter as P3d makes no use of it anyways...does it? So back I go...May just take the plunge to a 980...but that Radeon 390X has 8GB of ram...would be really nice with my 4K tv...

I digress :) I walked into target the other day and something caught my eye. An LG 4K Tv was on sale.

"Pssh" I think arrogantly to myself

"Probably a bad 4k or something, probably just tears all over the place"

Mind you, I didn't know much about the 4k thing...I thought to myself "how much better could it be??"

It was on sale for $650, marked down from $899. I had no choice....

Whoa. Let me tell you, the immersive factor was unstoppable. Sure it wasnt curved, but it didn't need to be. I must've looked like a little kitten with how close I was to the screen.

So yeah, everyone...go grab a 4k TV. Cheaper than their PC counterparts and 60hz is smooth as silk on my end.

A tech at Frys was like "yeah but its only 60hz, it's not that new g-sync with 144hz". He may be right, but it's 49" of awesome with smooth response for only $675.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Does any of your FSX look terrible at night? Think i need to do more calibration

Vernon Howells

Does any of your FSX look terrible at night? Think i need to do more calibration

I don't use FSX, but make sure you aren't running "limited" mode RGB (applies to any flight sim):

add5528f2da24e059a1536d76be2d720.jpg

Also some 4K monitors provide more monitor adjustments when you run a color format of YCbCr444 (but this will have a limited dynamic range) and can be made to look even better with YCbCr444 ... case by case basis.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi rob! Strange thing is changing those settings or anything on that like the brightness or contrast has no effect on my monitor and not sure why!? And that goes for the Nvidia settings too

Vernon Howells

Got it working i was trying to use the video adjust settings on my card lol

Vernon Howells

video adjust

Ah yes, those are for video/movie playback, not what you need ... glad you got it sorted.

Cheers, Rob.