Sign in to follow this  
Flying Penguin

DCS World - Flash Sale - 75% off most modules until midnight Central, 6am BST

For those not following the Steam summer sale, all DCS World modules are part of a flash sale until midnight Central, 6am BST.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/

75% of most modules, 50% off Mig 21 and Mig 15

Remember, the codes can also be used to activate modules in the completely non-Steam version, just right click on the game in your library and select "View Game CD Key".

Damn..around $100 for every module they have. Incredible value on a 64 bit platform

ZORAN

I have DCS world installed by steam and just purchased Flaming   Cliffs 3.  The problem is how do I install FC3?  I get the message "Steam Client Bootstrap" and then "choose application".  Not sure exactly how to complete.  I have folder "steam apps" and then "common" where all my steam products are located including DCS.  I am at a loss since Steam usually just installs with no problem. 

Appreciate any help since I would like to purchase several other planes at this great deal.

Thanks,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Carl did you purcahse from the website via a browser, rather then from inside Steam itself? Once you choose "Steam Client Bootstrap" steam should have opened, check that it is. It will then probably check the licenses, which can take a while. If steam didn't open however, open Steam and let it install the DLC

With Steam open, it's also worth going into the product page for DCS and looking at the DLC menu and clicking the checkboxes to force it to install, if it hasn't already done that for you.

Where to find it:

mkx-streaming-1.0.jpg

Having never played DCS this seems like a great opportunity to get into it, what addons would you recommend to get at first?

I'm fairly new, but the A-10a is a light version, and the A-10c is an in-depth version. If you want in depth, it's the A-10c. That's a nice plane to fly though. If you want choppers then get the Black Shark

Thanks Chis and Jamie for your help.  I went ahead and executed my DCS icon on desktop which was installed when I downloaded DCS World months ago.  That did the trick in having FC3 installed.  I can see this will take some reading to really get started.  I do wish a joystick could be used for the throttle but I think most of the activity will be the keyboard.   Any suggestions for the next purchase while the sale is on?

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Having never played DCS this seems like a great opportunity to get into it, what addons would you recommend to get at first?

You need the base game (obviously) then the addons are divided into two camps, "Flaming Cliffs" and straight DCS modules.  Flaming Cliffs modules (FC3, A-10A, SU-25A, SU-27, F-15C) are mid fidelity systems wise, i.e. keyboard shortcut startup, non clickable cockpits etc, but otherwise great fun and with excellent flight dynamics (especially the F-15, SU-27 and Frogfoot A), the rest are full fidelity warbirds, which add systems generally up there with the best of FSX. 

Important: Flaming Cliffs 3 includes the SU-25A, SU-27, A-10A and F-15C DLC, so you are better off buying FC-3 unless you only want to fly one of them.

So the question is, what do you want to fly?  I'd recommend the A-10C (note, not the A-10A) as it is the original and still an awesome aircraft for some A2G, as well as the Huey and Mig-21, both of which are genuinely awesome, and the Huey is generally regarded as one of the finest helicopter flight models around.

Then again, there are no bad birds.  My only caution would be that the Black Shark (V2) is hard work, not because it's bad (it's not) or that complex an aircraft, it's simply the intersection of Russian useability (or lack thereof) and a bajillion buttons scattered in no logical order....

Thanks Chis and Jamie for your help.  I went ahead and executed my DCS icon on desktop which was installed when I downloaded DCS World months ago.  That did the trick in having FC3 installed.  I can see this will take some reading to really get started.  I do wish a joystick could be used for the throttle but I think most of the activity will be the keyboard.   Any suggestions for the next purchase while the sale is on?

I'm not sure I understand?  You have a joystick with a throttle and it's not working?  Or you don't have a throttle?  You should be able to map any axis to the throttle.

As for modules, as above, anything is good (except the ones that already come in FC3), but remember the rest are full fidelity birds.  It really depends what you want to fly, ground attack (A-10C), trainers (Hawk/C-101), classic jets (F-86/Mig-15), esoteric fighters (Mig 21), helicopters (Huey is esp good) or warbirds...

I'm also confused by your throttle comment., I have a really ###### Saitek Cyborg 3D joystick I've had for probably 15 years, and the throttle on that works with DCS fine.

I bought the A-10a because for me funds are tight right now, at a ~£2 I was laughing. But, if I had the money, I'd get the A-10C. I just mentioned the A-10A as you wanted the dip your tow, and for £2 you can dip your toe

Thanks a lot for your help, I went ahead and got the Flaming Cliffs package and the A-10C. I'll concentrate on airplanes for now and maybe get the Huey later, I'm sure there's already plenty to do with the A10 alone. :lol:

Thanks a lot for your help, I went ahead and got the Flaming Cliffs package and the A-10C. I'll concentrate on airplanes for now and maybe get the Huey later, I'm sure there's already plenty to do with the A10 alone. :lol:

It won't be long before you are giggling like an idiot having found the HUD diagnostics modes and self test before setting the engine on fire and accidentally jettisoning the canopy.  I recommend at least one attempt to start it without the manual  :ph34r:

Definitely the NGX of the military sim world...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be getting Flaming Cliffs 3. Hopefully it works with a MS Force feedback Joystick.

The A-10C, and the KA-50 should be in everyone's hangar, but these aircraft are hard, and if those are your first two modules you might burn out and get discouraged. It's my opinion that to properly use the A-10C, you absolutely need a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, and nothing else, or you'll be missing out big time. Planes like the P-51 provide an easy introduction to the DCS World system, because they don't have modern and complex avionics, and if you can fly something like the A2A P-51 in FSX, then you'll be right at home flying this one. The TF-51 now comes for free with DCS World. The Huey is maybe my favorite module, because it is an old-fashioned, straightforward helicopter without any computer systems to master, but provides a very rewarding challenge to learn how to fly properly--you spend your time getting good at the hand-eye coordination to fly it, not learning complex avionics or sensor systems.