Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

"If I had a hundred dollars" - newbie advice requested!

Hello to all you fine X-Plane folk, thanks to the recent Steam sale, I have now become one of you. ^_^

I've spent the few days since the sale familiarizing myself with the sim, and with what freeware is available.  I've installed the NA region only for now, as well as CZST.  I spent some time downloading and trying out a few of the freeware aircraft available (my favorite so far being the amazing 2D C172 panel, I've never really been a fan of 2D panels before, but wow...), and then I moved on to installing some of the HD Mesh covering western Canada & south Alaska, as well as a few of the other recommended enhancements, such as Treelines & Farms, and the world2xp Canada OSM+AG download.

There are a few other freeware sceneries I mean to install yet, but haven't gotten around to, such as that amazing looking freeware Juneau.

So now, I'm looking for advice.  Let's say I have about $100 I'm willing to spend on making my X-Plane world a little more 'spiffy'.  I'm not talking about aircraft add-ons here, since I have very specific plans on what I want to buy there.  My preferences are as follows:

- Mainly GA flying, into and out of small airports.

- Northwestern part of North America is where I wish to stay for now.

So keeping those two criteria in mind, if you were me, where would you spend $100?  What's worthwhile?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I will be following this one. I want to try out Xplane, and this could be an interesting thread.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

for what your looking for i think skymax and urbanmax are the right products for you. you should have some money left over even if you get both of those

for what your looking for i think skymax and urbanmax are the right products for you. you should have some money left over even if you get both of those

SkyMax Pro for sure...but I (I own both) think that UrbanMaxx (which I have removed) is no longer needed if you populate Tony's W2XP files through SimHeaven

http://simheaven.com/

for not only countries, but for continents as well. I downloaded SimHeaven's W2XP file for North America (U.S. files as well as Canada)...and it has transformed it to the most plausible view-scape to date. I found that UrbanMaxx was conflicting with it...and not allowing W2XP files to be displayed properly, where cities and towns were concerned. If you are NOT going to install W2XP files (country and REGIONS...) then yes...definately UrbanMaxx is a must...  

So, SkyMax Pro is on the must-have list...  Other than that...your hundred dollars would be for airports and aircraft....and speaking of aircraft...having a great (Carenado for one..) Amphibian air-frame will allow you all the great marine flights within XP.40b1 Carenado puts out a great Cessna SkyWagon F185 series...

I downloaded SimHeaven's W2XP file for North America...and it has transformed it to the most plausible view-scape to date. I found that UrbanMaxx was conflicting with it...and not allowing W2XP files to be displayed properly. If you are NOT going to install W2XP files (country and REGIONS...) then yes...definately UrbanMaxx is a must...

The W2xp osm+ag file from Simheaven is the one I was referring to, that yes, I have installed.  I thought I'd seen somewhere in the forums that UrbanMaxx conflicts with it, it might of been one of your posts. Thanks!

Further question:  On the Simheaven site, there's both the W2XP sceneries, as well as the OSM continent sceneries.  Do they both need to be installed? Or does the W2XP scenery replace the OSM continent scenery??

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The W2xp osm+ag file from Simheaven is the one I was referring to, that yes, I have installed.  I thought I'd seen somewhere in the forums that UrbanMaxx conflicts with it, it might of been one of your posts. Thanks!

Further question:  On the Simheaven site, there's both the W2XP sceneries, as well as the OSM continent sceneries.  Do they both need to be installed? Or does the W2XP scenery replace the OSM continent scenery??

They both need to be installed (by that meaning, only if you intend to fly in that country, or that region in general.  I'm sure you downloaded all of the U.S. and Canada regions files, yes?  That for sure.  I have also selected only those countries (Europe) that I have interest to fly...so that has been my M.O. ^_^  

You also installed the W2XP world Scenery Models (found at the bottom of the continent list, right?  This is not optional. It is required for proper display of object calls...

Have a blast...and welcome to XP! I think you are going to find that it is the LEAST cost of usage and ownership, you will have amongst your other sims...

Ses

No, only install one or the other. W2XP is more detailed and might be harder on frames. Having both installed is a waste of space and increases loading times. Both block each other out

No, only install one or the other. W2XP is more detailed and might be harder on frames. Having both installed is a waste of space and increases loading times. Both block each other out

Yes, Tony..but there is no W2XP for the U.S. and Canada, right?

I then correctly told him..for Europe, install the countries, for the U.S. and Canada, install the continent(s).  I think he was referring to the W2XP continent sceneries , and not the non-W2XP ones... It was those that I said must also be installed to cover N.A.

Ses

Yes, Tony..but there is no W2XP for the U.S. and Canada, right?

Yep there is, http://simheaven.com/?page_id=3260. The problem is the lack of data in these parts of the world.

Remember Simheaven's OSM scenery and W2XP use the same data source (Although W2XP's is probably newer). W2XP just uses more from the available data. So it's pointless having both installed in the same area.

Yep there is, http://simheaven.com/?page_id=3260. The problem is the lack of data in these parts of the world.

Remember Simheaven's OSM scenery and W2XP use the same data source (Although W2XP's is probably newer). W2XP just uses more from the available data. So it's pointless having both installed in the same area.

Gotcha...ok...

I appreciate all the advice, I really do!  I'm running the W2XP osm-ag download available on Simheaven for Canada, so I guess I'm set for that.  I played around extensively last night checking scenery with and without the various layers, so that I could learn what the differences were!

(A side note:  I actually hit a small thing last night that made me shake my head when I figured it out.  I've been exploring scenery by loading at an airport, then using the 'free camera' view to zoom around and check things out.  Well, I didn't realize that the scenery loads around the aircraft, not the camera, so when I got to the limits of where the scenery objects had loaded, I thought I had major issues... took me a bit to figure that out! :blush: )

As for the OSM data not being complete for North America, it's actually surprising at how complete it's gotten.  It's hit or miss for sure, but some small little northern places that I thought wouldn't be mapped out have almost every building mapped!  Even my city, Edmonton, has a huge number of buildings mapped out. 

I've read through Tony's tutorials on adding OSM data, and I also realized something.  I've spent hours days weeks creating .agn files for FSX photoreal, largely creating building footprints through QGIS.  I think now that was very short sighted of me; I'd of been much more benefit to the flight sim community at large if I would of been contributing those building footprints to OSM.  I'm going to give some of my scenery creation workflows a major re-think....

I've also downloaded and set up WED.  It looks easy enough to use.  There sure are a lot of airports in X-Plane in need of work in my part of the world.  Is there any way of converting ADE work files to use in WED?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Well, I didn't realize that the scenery loads around the aircraft, not the camera, so when I got to the limits of where the scenery objects had loaded, I thought I had major issues... took me a bit to figure that out!

You certainly won't be the first to do this  :Whistle: . I spent a few hours once when writing World2XPlane trying to work out why some buildings or roads weren't showing up. Turned out it was just me panning around and being too far away.

I too recently picked up X-Plane on Steam and mainly fly in North America & Europe. I have the HDMesh V3 for the areas I fly and I have been blown away. I mainly like to fly airliners and have the excellent FF 757 & JARDesign A330 in my hanger. I flew from Innsbruck to EGGW (London Luton) last night in the 330. I spent most of the cruise looking out of the windows lol Just stunning !!!

All of the airports I downloaded have been free ones and I am amazed at the quality. Getting back on topic I would definitely go for Skymaxx Pro. I also just got the Carenado B1900D as I wanted to get into some more regional flying in Canada. I am really liking this plane and it fits perfectly when I don't have hours to spend flying a longer route.

FSX with DX10 has served me well but I have to say I have been spending more time in X-Plane, I finally have a sim that can use the hardware I invested in. Even better BAVirtual now have an ACARS client that supports X-Plane.

Oh happy days :) 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Just get the Real Terra Haze plugin over at The Org

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just get the Real Terra Haze plugin over at The Org

Holy crap.  I was thinking about Skymaxx, but those clouds shadows....  I'm not a P3D user, so I haven't had those 'til now.

That's an incredible plugin.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.