Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

More likely to get OOMs in 2.5 than before?

Hi @ll,

maybe it is just me, but did 2.5 get worse when it comes to OOM?

I finally got around to uninstalling 2.4 and upgrading to 2.5. My everyday sim still is FSX, simply because it works for me. So I tried to set both sims up identically, to better compare the results. I was flying around South America lately, so I used the same scenery and plane to recreate the same flight in both sims.

The addons are FTX Global and Vector, Rex 4 Textures and Soft Clouds, ASN, Latin VFR SPIM, Aerosoft Cuzco, SceneryTech Landclass, FSGenesis mesh, and a small patch of photo scenery around Ayacucho. I always cut down my scenery CFG to only the active sceneries, and likewise I didn't install anything else in 2.5. The plane is the SimSkunkWorks F-84 Super Hog. Both sims run full screen 5760x1080 with VC only and EZDOK + TrackIR.

The flight goes without hiccup in FSX, frames start at under 30 at SPIM and work their way up to around 60 ish in cruise, landing in Cuzco still maintaining above 40 FPS. Did not check memory at that time - I seldom do, as it usually is not needed.

Then I tried P3D 2.5: FPS are about the same, but smoothness is a little better, frames are even higher in cruise. When I was about 20 minutes out of Cuzco, I got an OOM without warning from FSUIPC. This left me scratching my head, because even if Cuzco would have loaded this very moment, the scenery is not large enough to cause this.

So I tried again, a few days later, this time watching the Process Explorer app. Memory consumption stayed at around 2,5-2,7 Gig. Seems a lot, considering it is only default/ORBX textures outside and the plane is moderately complex but not too much so. Weather was pretty good, a little haze and few clouds. Then, at about the same spot, I briefly got the FSUIPC warning, then the OOM message. Memory had jumped up to 3.6 at this point - not enough for OOM I think, but still quite a lot.

Don't know what to make of this. Especially why I got an OOM with 3.6 Gig.

Are non-native sceneries prone to OOMs? If so, does anyone have experience with what it is exactly, that causes these problems? Mesh? Textures? Autogen?

LORBY-SI

I don't think 2.5 is worse. I have never had an OOM. From what I have read most people who have OOMs tend to be running Orbx scenery. I have Global and that is fine as it's just texture replacement but I would suggest uninstalling Vector and see if you get problems still.

Actually 2.5 has been very stable for me and I've experienced only one crash with ORBX global.

Only time I have had an OOM Is when I installed Orbx trees. Uninstalled them, and haven't had one since. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yes, v2.5 is more sensitive regarding OOMs.

Many people are suffering from it and the only thing that helps is using less detail .

Or using 1024 max.

LM has acknowladged it and is working on a solution.

My system was using photoscenery icw custom autogen on top of it.

In v2.4 I could make flights with it.

With v2.5 I had to turn off autogen completely to solve my OOM issue.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I have to agree with the OP, my 2.5 has crashed constantly with OOMs since installing it two days ago.    Heathrow with the PMDG-777........forget about it!     However, in 2.4 I'd have Aerosoft's Heathrow with the 777 at relatively high levels of detail and AI traffic  without any issue.  There is definitely something wrong with this version in that capacity.

1024 is usually the max texture resolution I can use with my payware jetliners. I can use 2048/4096 with simple props like the Aerosoft Twin Otter

Hans Soule

I always use 1024. I don't really see much need to go above it.

Are you guys saving your flights before TOD? Helps a LOT in fighting OOMs.

Yes, I had been in a previous habit of doing that.  I would often exit the flight and P3D after the save and just reload

I have to agree with the OP, my 2.5 has crashed constantly with OOMs since installing it two days ago.    Heathrow with the PMDG-777........forget about it!     However, in 2.4 I'd have Aerosoft's Heathrow with the 777 at relatively high levels of detail and AI traffic  without any issue.  There is definitely something wrong with this version in that capacity.

Searching around the Net, you'll find many posts about OOM problems with 2.5. Isn't 2.5 a graphical upgrade? Perhaps the eye candy is eating into the VAS.

Hi @ll, many thanks for your replies! At least now I know that I didn't screw up the installation.

I must say, I am kind of disappointed by this. OOMs for me are the top priority annoyance in P3D, and I somehow just assumed this would get optimized/better from release to release. Finding it to be worse than even good ol' FSX makes me feel ... uneasy...

LORBY-SI