Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

What about the Enterprise edition?

Of course the Enterprise edition can select updates.... But who the hell is going to use the Enterprise edition on their home computers?

Of course the Enterprise edition can select updates.... But who the hell is going to use the Enterprise edition on their home computers?

Anyone who really needs to control their updates?

One would think MS would want beta versions automatically updated as they should be pushing out fixes and improvements and want them tested. This discussion seems a bit premature to me. It just might change in the public release(s).

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Anyone who really needs to control their updates?

My point was that Enterprise is not available for the "consumer". Think of Enterprise as Prepar3D (but impossible to buy).

One would think MS would want beta versions automatically updated as they should be pushing out fixes and improvements and want them tested. This discussion seems a bit premature to me. It just might change in the public release(s).

The public release is already available. The RTM was released yesterday. 

Edited by linux731

It's been confirmed that (at least at release) users will not be able to suspend updates, only companies.

Ian R Tyldesley

My point was that Enterprise is not available for the "consumer". Think of Enterprise as Prepar3D (but impossible to buy).

Anyone who really needs to control their updates will use the Enterprise edition.

Keep in mind that W10 will FORCE everything that used to be "Optional Updates" in W7/8.1/Vista. That means that your drivers for your graphics card, laptop touchpad, and even MOUSE are going to be updated automatically, with NO option to choose otherwise.

Great so I'll automagically get some broken WHQL driver? Bad idea. WHQL  testing misses so many problems. P3D people can attest to how many WHQL Nvidia drivers have broken P3D in the past year alone. My Corsair keyboard same thing...causing a freezing problem, took me 3 weeks to figure that one out. Not only that Windows update routinely tries to suggest to me to "update" to older hardware drivers, so in some cases we are going to end up with stealth downgrades...

I'll get the free upgrade but not install it til later. Maybe I'll get a clean SSD to install it to or dual boot to see if it's junk. I ended up doing a reformat 3 times from Windows 8 because the multimonitor/Nvidia surround was so bad on it.

Great so I'll automagically get some broken 

Noticed text select icon was to big and not solid - so figured out it was the nvidia driver causing it - I unplugged internet and loaded my tweakforce 353.49 driver which is awesome and problem solved all working fine this is RTM release - fyi guys you see this problem which you will this is how I got around it

Rich Sennett

I unplugged internet and loaded my tweakforce 353.49 driver which is awesome and problem solved all working fine this is RTM release - fyi guys you see this problem which you will this is how I got around it

I got it too but just went to the Nvidia web site and downloaded the 22 June 2015 update and it works, apparently the July update is Beta .

It's been confirmed that (at least at release) users will not be able to suspend updates, only companies.

Please provide a link.  The RTM version of Windows 10 Pro (10240) running on my PC right now does indeed allow defering updates under Settings/Windows Update/Advanced Options.  It has been this way since for quite a few builds.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Don't tip the boat over, Doug!!

But for how long can those Updates be deferred?

The latest build was released today, and it's the RTM build. I can tell all of you that you are not able to select updates in Windows 10, whether you have Home or Pro editions.

The RTM version of Windows 10 Pro (10240) running on my PC right now does indeed allow defering updates under Settings/Windows Update/Advanced Options.

Hmmmm.....

Please provide a link.  The RTM version of Windows 10 Pro (10240) running on my PC right now does indeed allow defering updates under Settings/Windows Update/Advanced Options.  It has been this way since for quite a few builds.

I did on the last page:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16/windows_10_will_update_whether_you_like_it_or_not_unless_you_have_enterprise_edition/

It's not direct from the horses mouth, but 'The Register' is a respected IT site.

Ian R Tyldesley