Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

Microsoft are moving to the subscription process for the OS.  I personally don't really care one way or the other, my out of pocket is usually less for subscription based.  No doubt this will lose some customers and it'll certain not be the OS choice for those that steal software but I doubt Microsoft are too concerned about that.

For me Windows 10 is DX12, slightly more efficient threading, additional native support for more recent processors/chipsets.  The UI I can deal with, don't like it but I work around it.  As hardware manufacturer drivers mature for Win10 it will improve in stability.

As far as security concerns, yes Windows is more secure than OSX ... but I have both OSX systems and Windows system and have never experienced a virus/malware in either for decades.  But I don't visit dubious sights and I don't install dubious software and pirated software.  Most security issues are end user self inflicted.

July 29th is public release, but end of June is RTM as I understand it ... my job requires that I install and test on it.  So far the apps I produce seem to be working which is good news.  I'll install Win10 RTM on one of my aux flight sim PC's to see how it fairs with ASN, FS Commander, but not on my main flight sim PC.

Is Windows 10 the OS I want, NO!  Is Windows 10 better than Windows 7 ... yes on the performance front, no on the UI/functionality front.

I will eventually upgrade all my main Flight Sim PCs to Windows 10, but I'll probably wait a few months before I do so to ensure GoFlight work and more.

Cheers, Rob.

No, they're not.

I didn't actually say for Windows 10 but I can see how you might have interpreted it as that ... Windows 10 will be the last non-subscription OS from Microsoft, Windows 11 (or whatever Microsoft decide to call it) will be subscription based.  Just have to wait and see if they do.

Windows 10 Pro is $199 or if you get Windows 10 home (for free 1st year, $119 after that) the upgrade is $99.

What I think folks NEED to understand for the Windows 10 Home "free upgrade" is that it's an upgrade, it's NOT a full install on a new PC.  If you're planning to build a new PC and want to install Windows 10 (any version) then that is going to cost you either $119 or $199.  Your free Win10 upgrade isn't going to work unless it finds a Win7 or Win8 already installed.

Personally I'd never run an OS "upgrade" on any of my PCs because of legacy issues, driver issues, etc. etc. -- I would always go the "new install" route. 

Cheers, Rob.

What I think folks NEED to understand for the Windows 10 Home "free upgrade" is that it's an upgrade, it's NOT a full install on a new PC.  If you're planning to build a new PC and want to install Windows 10 (any version) then that is going to cost you either $119 or $199.  Your free Win10 upgrade isn't going to work unless it finds a Win7 or Win8 already installed.

Personally I'd never run an OS "upgrade" on any of my PCs because of legacy issues, driver issues, etc. etc. -- I would always go the "new install" route. 

This is not true. Please make a little bit of research before making these claims.

Check this out: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2931492/windows-10-upgrade-will-allow-clean-installs-on-the-same-device-for-free.html#tk.fb_pc

Of course, they haven't clarified yet if there will be an ISO available somewhere or how exactly the clean installations will work.

Edited by linux731

Of course, they haven't clarified yet

You need to read that article more carefully ... quoting from the article you listed:

Gabe Aul, an engineering general manager for Microsoft’s operating systems group, said in a tweet that people who upgrade a device to Windows 10 during the first year of its existence will be able to perform a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on the same device “any time.”

key operative "clean reinstall on the same device" .. that is not the same as "clean install" on any device the first time.

and to quote again from your article link

That functionality will be underpinned by a Windows 10 feature that will allow people to reinstall the operating system and hold onto their files—or delete the files entirely and start fresh. Aul went on to say that the same deal will apply to people who restore from a .ISO disk image file rather than using the built-in reset service. All of that is good news for users, since performing a clean installation can sometimes help alleviate problems with a troubled computer.

It'll get you to a "clean" slate, but you still have to have Win7 or Win8 on your system and it has to be the same system (probably keyed by a combination of BIOS, CPU, HD identifiers) prior to installing Windows 10 upgrade for the first time.  Key wording here is "reinstall".  If it weren't this way, then the requirement to have Win7 and Win8 to get the free upgrade would be meaningless ... and I doubt that's the case since Microsoft desperately want to get people OFF of Win7/Win8.

Cheers, Rob.

You need to read that article more carefully ... quoting from the article you listed:

key operative "clean reinstall on the same device" .. that is not the same as "clean install" on any device the first time.

and to quote again from your article link

It'll get you to a "clean" slate, but you still have to have Win7 or Win8 on your system and it has to be the same system (probably keyed by a combination of BIOS, CPU, HD identifiers) prior to installing Windows 10 upgrade for the first time.  Key wording here is "reinstall".  If it weren't this way, then the requirement to have Win7 and Win8 to get the free upgrade would be meaningless ... and I doubt that's the case since Microsoft desperately want to get people OFF of Win7/Win8.

Cheers, Rob.

Ok, yes. However I still don't know how they're going to prohibit reinstallations if you use the same serial key. As long as it's not an OEM version.

I have to say it's a very muddled response. At the end it states

All of that is good news for users, since performing a clean installation can sometimes help alleviate problems with a troubled computer.

When, as you point out Rob, everything in that article points to upgrades and reinstalls. What is a clean re-install. It's a clean install, or an upgrade. Clean re-install really sounds like what they are saying is you can upgrade, and delete your files with it, not upgrade and don't. The key section is this;

and hold onto their files—or delete the files entirely and start fresh

The argument from there is saying "what if I have an issue and need to reinstall. And this comes down to using the built-in re-install which is part of the OS. Rather then booting from a USB or DVD and installing the OS with a reformat. Essentially this is not too different from the install now, except you cannot reformat the drive. But then maybe you can if you burn your W10 upgrade ISO to a USB/DVD. All in all, a little muddled. We'll find out in a month I guess.

I'm just looking forward to not having to click a button on my joystick ever 20-30 minutes to make sure it's still alive :)

Where does Microsoft state that a user must have Win 7 or Win 8 after Win 10 has been installed - or have I missed it?

That comes down to how you install on a new hard drive. I.e a new computer, or you purchased a new hdd and you have nothing to begin with

I'll not be in a position to test out the muddy waters of upgrading since I'll be installing RTM as soon as available on my MSDN ... BUT, I think it would be worth getting clarification from someone going the free upgrade route to provide their experience with "clean install" vs. "clean re-install".

That latest build I have is 5/18/2015 10074 for Windows 10 Enterprise ... VHD (7.3GB) ... BTW, I only use 10 Pro, and 10 Enterprise from my MSDN account.  The ISO is 3.5 - 3.6 GB for enterprise and pro.  

I don't know much about Home/10 since I've only worked with Pro/10 and Enterprise/10. 

Cheers, Rob.

So, Microsoft will not be allowing Windows 7 users access to DX12? Quelle surprise. They want us all to ditch Windows 7 ASAP. Well, guess what? This Windows 7 user will not be upgrading any time soon.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That is not uncommon, and always you'll find a lot of software houses do that. New features in a new version. Just business