Sign in to follow this  
stevewhatmore

Good old FS9

The main issue of friction between the two camps in my view is when people take nasty shots at one another by saying that one's sim looks like a cartoon or things of that nature. It's those types of posts back and fourth between FS9 users and FSX users that usually cause the flare ups.

I agree, and it makes my hair stand on end every time. "Cartoon" is one of the milder ones and they get just a little more vile with every comment. Like "maybe if I get nasty enough these people will finally listen to me". Listen to what? What exactly is your point? We've already seen FS9? You're not telling us anything we didn't know - 7 years ago... And we heard you the first time BTW.

Not trolling when you say whatever you want in the FSX, P3D, and Carenado forums though, bash everyone's stuff, basically call them fools for spending money on it, even more foolish for enjoying it because a "real simmer" (now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one) doesn't care about how pretty it is...

I agree, and it makes my hair stand on end every time. "Cartoon" is one of the milder ones and they get just a little more vile with every comment. Like "maybe if I get nasty enough these people will finally listen to me". Listen to what? What exactly is your point? We've already seen FS9? You're not telling us anything we didn't know - 7 years ago... And we heard you the first time BTW.

Not trolling when you say whatever you want in the FSX, P3D, and Carenado forums though, bash everyone's stuff, basically call them fools for spending money on it, even more foolish for enjoying it because a "real simmer" (now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one) doesn't care about how pretty it is...

Hey ..... just like real life!  Well, politics at least .......

Quite so. The FSX'ers of today seem to think that we FS9'ers haven't noticed that there is a newer (and therefore better) flightsim available, and wish to inform us of this. We are obliged to repeat ourselves every few months that we know all about it and would rather not, thank you. This is all perfectly routine and nothing to get upset about! Unless you're jealous of all the flying hours in FS9'ers logbooks that is...

The comments I was referring to were not in defense of FS9, they were in opposition of FSX/P3D/Carenado. And you're implication that I can't complete a flight in FSX is exactly the "nasty shots" we're talking about. I didn't say anything negative about your sim.

I for one am really happy that everyone has happiness in their sim of choice.

It would be dreadful if they are actually miserable, and too shy to say so  :lol:

But it is a travesty that there isn't ONE BRAND NEW sim that ticks the boxes for all simmers.

The market is too fragmented, and FS9 offerings as we know, are now getting somewhat fewer...

Having said that, this thread is called "Good Old FS9" for good reason.

There is so much stuff, that I don't believe one can ever get to the end of it, really.

I went off and bought the Aerosoft Beaver for no other reason than I hadn't, yet.

w35AjV.jpg

From inside, it has a really great "old" feel to it.

jsQzjP.jpg

I hadn't opened the sim for some time, and it just made me go "yeah" all over again.

XKIVV1.jpg 

This reminds me of those bumper stickers we used to see on the cars..

"FS9'rs do it without tweaking"

"FS9'rs do it with ease"

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Yeh... nodding dog on the rear parcel shelf  'n all.

You will notice too, that in my FS9.5 install above, the "AI" fleet is in fact all Carenado!

This adds a great deal of immersion I reckon, but presents no performance problem on my (by now) ancient system.    

GA-Traffic by Marcus Brunner will create an AI version of any aircraft for you, but you can do it manually:

Make a copy of the aircraft folder, adding AI to the filename

Delete the panel and sound folders inside

Open the .air file with AirEd and change entry 105 *Aircraft Type=0 to Aircraft Type=2

Compile an AI flightplan with your new aircraft as normal

You might also want to check the textures and get rid of any interior textures you don't need. I also recommend using DXTBmp (freeware) to change the textures to DXT3 format. I have dozens of flyable aircraft I us as AI and there is rarely an FPS hit if you just tweak them a little

Yes as advised above, strip out VC references and textures and convert everything to DXT3.

In this particular instance, the "AI" is created somewhat differently.

It's the Rhode Island scenery, which is in a class of its own, so it's no hardship - I often fly GA around there, and just record a Recorder Module track as I go. The flight itself is done in the "real" Carendao plane, then I sub in the "lite" modified one for the playback track.

Over time, I have collected enough of these to make some quite realistic moving scenery.

The advantage is that you can fly tracks that normal AI cannot do, and you also get animations like opening doors etc. All the tracks are added to one file, so it's easy enough to tie to a saved flight.

Very cool! And another excellent example of the many different aspects to our hobby other than just "flying."   :Applause:

FS2004 is so good is makes you wanna slap yo mama! ..... and you never saw this if you are overly sensitive and always politically correct .....