Sign in to follow this  
stevewhatmore

Good old FS9

For me, the newer was far from better. Coming from FS2002, I waited until FSX came out, compared - and decided for FS2004. Not that I'm afraid of something new if it is really better by prove; FSX simply wasn't. With new developments like FSX-SE and further improvements of P3D or perhaps a worldwide version of Aerofly it may get interesting again. By the way, if one thinks that FS9ers are poor old inflexible people: I'm 38, I invested more than 2,500 EUR in add-ons for my sim and I changed my PC three times since then. But I can only laugh about those who get up at midnight to be the first in the queue for a new cellphone or whatever because it is new and therefor believed to be better. That said - and I repeat myself - may you all have fun with your preferred simulator, be it old or new. I definitely have.

Regards

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I got FSX when SP1 was released and struggled manfully to get it running as smoothly and reliably as FS9.1 for two years, until it finally ran out of re-installs. At which point it went in the bin. Once bitten, twice shy as they say and I have not gambled on P3D or FSX-SE yet.

Good stuff, Wobbie. Let play their plastic fantasic FSuX.  :lol:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463912-my-fs95-has-never-looked-better-mixture/#entry3193593

My FSX doesnt look as good as that. I haven't seen P3D looking any better. In fact worse. FSX/P3D water is terrible. The popcorn fake clouds in P3D look ridicules. The same cartoony look to textures in FSX appear in P3D which looks un-inspiring. 

So nothing better to what I have AND I can play it on a machine costing less then most single GPU's needed to get reasonable performance on 'newer' platforms with less add-ons available.

So why change? 

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

FS9 was the and still is the golden age of flight simulation. I still use it after purchasing it 6 years ago. Pity that today addon developers dont make any more addons for it.

Swapnil Sirdeshpande

Lol, the latest & greatest? So, some of moved from Windows XP to Vista! Woof, what a dog that was. The move from Windows 7 to Windows 8/8.1?? Need I say more...

Fs9 is like a good red wine.. the longer you keep it, the better it is, or like the original Ford Mustang.. a classic! Devs not supporting us??? :LMAO:

. Milton? Garry & Ed? etc, etc, we have more than 10 years of stuff that works, without us getting new PC's...

And THAT is one of the best posts I've ever read as to why FS9 is worth keeping.  :im Not Worthy:

Yeah... Every time a new Windows comes out, you always get the people that rush out to bash it and say "it sucks", and then the mass of ignorant blind sheep right behind it...

My two cents is...that FS9 doesn't need a thread like this to justify its existence.  It supremely stands on its own two feet...compared to any sim flown around it.  I think it is hand's down, the best sim platform for heavies. It is a champ...

It will give you dead smooth animation...on any system sprouted within the last 10 years....and that's a fact.

Throw in Active Sky Evolution for weather in FS9 mode...REX Xtreme for FS9, for textures and clouds...and nothing else to do...but enjoy your flight, and personal level of immersion.

and your still stuck with fs9

Who said anything about being "stuck" with anything?? That's just my point, if you don't run with the "in crowd" (FSX) then your back in the dark ages or whatever. It's a matter of choice. I choose to use FS9 and who are you or anybody else for that matter to tell me that is wrong. I'm sure you do or have some things I would not agree with, but it's your choice, your business. Same works here. And I really could care less if they never develop anything else for FS9.  BTW, I don't need you telling me what year it is, thank you very much.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

This thread reminds me of these restaurant owners who are stuck in the 80s. Same menu , same decor, afraid of any change whatsoever but wondering why their business is failing.

You guys might be happy with FS9, but you will be stuck with it for another 20 years no matter what comes out because you cant see change for the better.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

One tip for night flying in FS9: (outside of Ultimate Terrain areas that is)

Go get ExperienceX for FS9. It will install lights for those areas.

That is one of the reason I still enjoy FS9 so much.

Enjoy

Pierre

There seem to be at least 3 different but equally misinformed groups of people on this thread.

1. The first misinformed group are those who think they know what they are talking about when they attack FS9. What they are reacting to is the old FS9 they remember. For most of us who continue to use it, that old FS9 ceased to exist long ago. All that remains is the basic platform that continues to be stable and offer excellent performance. But the entire look and feel of the platform has evolved beyond anything the original developers ever dreamed of. It's not really worth arguing with them, as what they are criticizing and what those of us who continue to use it are talking about are two entirely different things.

2. The second group of misinformed people are those who are attacking FSX as if it also hasn't changed from the original program. What I am now experiencing with FSX-SE, REX Direct, ASN. Orbyx etc. is nothing like the flawed program that I gave up on years ago. For me and many others, the Steam Edition has given us everything we hoped for when FSX was released, with virtually none of the problems. It has become the simulator I always hoped to have on a PC, and in many ways is superior to the multi-million dollar simulators I once trained on in the real world. If you haven't experienced it, that's your loss but could you stop taking your own bad experience and implying that it is some universal truth! FSX-SE is a vastly different experience to the original FSX.

3. The 3rd sadly misinformed group is composed of ignorant and rude twits who seem to have nothing better to do with their time except trade insults with their fellow hobbyists. Your mistake is thinking anyone really cares what you have to  say!

Truly folks - there really must be something better to do with our time and energy than continuing to stir this pathetic pot. Like actually enjoying the simulator of our choice perhaps?

Ian

Nah these threads always attract chatter... around these Antipodean parts there are "Ford" men and "Holden" men. Discussions around the barbie would not be the same without one or 't other making some inflammatory statement about the other camp's apparent shortcomings.

Both companies are closing down their Ozzie operations, it's a tragedy approaching what MS did when they abandoned FS. 

Anyway... mine's longer than yours, geddit? :)

One tip for night flying in FS9: (outside of Ultimate Terrain areas that is)

Go get ExperienceX for FS9. It will install lights for those areas.

That is one of the reason I still enjoy FS9 so much.

Enjoy

Deleted.  (Picked up UT Europe instead...)

Heh, I spent half the afternoon digging through backup disks and found the AFG King Air (remember that?) so I installed it and the Friendly panels, a couple repaints, and gave the old girl a fly. Probably haven't seen this airplane since 2010 or so, probably haven't had FS9 running for a year. I liked it (once I remembered how to fly it). Airport was KGEG. I guess all I had to do was press Shift+F12 and I coulda had ENB, that doesn't work in DX10 so I forgot... Oh well. :smile:

That's FSGenesis 19m mesh right there BTW, UT and all that. I think the textures might be FTX Global that I batch-converted for FS9.

fs9_revisit_01.jpg

fs9_revisit_02.jpg

fs9_revisit_03.jpg

fs9_revisit_04.jpg

fs9_revisit_05.jpg

fs9_revisit_06.jpg

I think the textures might be FTX Global that I batch-converted for FS9.
Very nice shots indeed... see, there is benefit in having those other sims out there!

I am somewhat tempted to go out and buy FTX just to see- how much labour is involved in the conversion?

Dang...this thread just cost me MONEY!

Who is responsible for this?!?!?!?!?!?

Name the scoundrel....dang...!

When I purchased UT for the U.S. and Canada/Alaska, and being that predominately, I fly over North America...I cheaped out...and didn't pick up UT Europe (even though I downloaded the install package).

Didn't think that I wanted it....well...

Was reading this thread...and someone spoke about Experience X, and how much they liked it for places not lit up by a UT product. That made me take a non-UT flight plan from France to Germany...and oh boy...dark, no roads, boring....not UT. Shut down FS9.999999949993999999299 and thought about it...

Wanted to finally bring Europe into the happy UT family.

Opened wallet....fired up the install...and shortly thereafter,  UT was gracing Europe.  Took a test flight out of Berlin, bound for somewhere (for test) in France...and simply...(and being that I will never NOT fly FS9 until dust....) as you can imagine...what a transformation.  So....$40.00 dollars poorer, but now FS9 UT Europe (rich!) in the immersion experience.  So UT Europe, welcome to the UT USA, UT Canada/Alaska FS9 'family'.

This thread cost me money.....this hobby costs me money, heck...anything today that brings on a smile, in one way or another, ....costs you money!  :blink:

We all need to keep our day jobs....

Heh, I spent half the afternoon digging through backup disks and found the AFG King Air (remember that?) so I installed it and the Friendly panels, a couple repaints, and gave the old girl a fly. Probably haven't seen this airplane since 2010 or so, probably haven't had FS9 running for a year. I liked it (once I remembered how to fly it). Airport was KGEG. I guess all I had to do was press Shift+F12 and I coulda had ENB, that doesn't work in DX10 so I forgot... Oh well. :smile:

That's FSGenesis 19m mesh right there BTW, UT and all that. I think the textures might be FTX Global that I batch-converted for FS9.

fs9_revisit_01.jpg

fs9_revisit_02.jpg

fs9_revisit_03.jpg

fs9_revisit_04.jpg

fs9_revisit_05.jpg

fs9_revisit_06.jpg

...and you're not flying through this, regularly Jim?   Why not, man?!?   B)

Looks great...!