Sign in to follow this  
stevewhatmore

Good old FS9

I am somewhat tempted to go out and buy FTX just to see- how much labour is involved in the conversion?

I don't remember actually, it's been a long time since I messed with it. It was a matter of double-clicking a batch file but of course the batch file didn't write itself, lol. IIRC there were some discrepancies where texture filenames weren't the same between the two sims so I think I've got some textures outta whack. I wasn't completely happy with the result, that's about all I can remember. Now that I can't remember what's wrong with it though I think it looks pretty good! :smile:

Truly folks - there really must be something better to do with our time and energy than continuing to stir this pathetic pot. Like actually enjoying the simulator of our choice perhaps?

Ian

There's that New Zealand humor we've been waiting for!  Jolly good show!

Hey, sit back and enjoy ..... and sometimes laugh (it's really easy if you try) at the comments.  I don't see very many people here playing "hardball", so I think the vast majority are having some good-natured "fun" between flights of their choice on simulators of their choice.

P.S.

You're not a Ford fan, are ya?

Wow I haven't flown the AFG King Air 300 in a real long time. I usually fly the Aeroworx King Air 200. I will have to get the 300 off my external drive and try it out again.

Tip #2 for enjoying FS9. (it does not cost money...)

1. Delete your FS9 setup if you still have it. If not re-install it;

2. Install the basics: UT USA/CA/EU, REX (your choice)

3. Install your FS9 a/c ONE AT A TIME and go fly it in your favorite area. This goes with Install your favorite scenery A/P ONE AT A TIME.

It will then be possible that you will rediscover/enjoy a Simulator that you forgot. Yes, it is a little bit about memory and how we live today: Go, Go, Go, Go.

Stand back, relax, sit down and enjoy what you have or should I say had.

Pierre

It is all only personal opinions, but for me the one deciding factor is the availability of scenery in the places I want to fly, which is where I have flown for real, which is mostly Canada. The relatively tiny improvement of display quality in FSX over FS9 cannot hope to compete with there being more than four times as many free airfields for Canada in FS9 than there are in FSX.

I'm obsessed by the Aeroworx King Air. I can't get enough of it.

That's one I never had but I remember it being highly praised back in the day. I think at this point though I'll pop for the Milviz 350i, in fact I've been meaning to do that for a couple months now. One things for sure though, it won't be the Flight1 King Air because I've already got all the pi$$y attitude I need free when I purchased $165 worth of GTNs.

Even now, I'd look at the Aeroworx bird.

As Jon said, it's in a class of its own.

And for a measly 30 bucks ... no-brainer.

Heh... should have rather let you introduce the topic to the world at large!

Me? I prefer the Germans.

you will rediscover/enjoy a Simulator that you forgot

You know, that is a very good point.

If I ever get bored with my sim, that is exactly what I am going to do. 

Haven't gotten there yet, there's too much stuff I missed in FS9 in the first place... :lol:

What would you guys recommend for better ground textures? I know there is Ultimate Terrain, but I am talking about better ground textures in areas that UT does not cover.

Ultimate Terrain is not ground textures, but vector data: roads, lakes rivers, coastlines, etc.

Jim is correct but then he could have gone on to mention GEPro, FSevo, Bird's Eye View (BEV) etc. etc.   B)

Yes I ment things like GEPro. I have all of the FS9 improvements except for ground textures.

Not forgetting the scenery & mesh & aircraft etc for South Africa (I live in Cape Town).

There are some pretty unique stuff available (for FS9) As for Bill's Golden & Silver Wings.....

FS9 was the and still is the golden age of flight simulation. I still use it after purchasing it 6 years ago. Pity that today addon developers dont make any more addons for it.

Huh? Have you actually looked at the daily downloads here & on the other sites to see how much & how many addons are still being released? Milton & team's Bounty, Lodestar, Harpoons etc... The list is still very much growing...

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I,like alot of other simmers, own both FSX classic, and FSX Steam. I also purchased X-Plane from Steam. I am not pleased with X-Plane, and FSX for steam has a number of addons still not compatible with dual installations of both versions of FSX. So most all of my flying is done with classic FSX. Things look great, and the available aircraft are impressive. The downside to all this is, with a mid level system, frame rates take a hit.  Meanwhile over in it's own little corner sits FS9. Frame rayes have always been more than adequate. I have all the FSDream Team addons along with Flight Beam.  I also have IFly 737-800.  I am looking to add Ground Environment Pro, Active Sky Evolution, and Flight Environment.  I also have Flight Sim Commander, and Plan-G. What else is available? Thanks 

Steve Sumner

Why FSX as well as FSX:SE?

I'm flying FS9 as well as a 2nd version called 'Golden Wings'. I aslo have P3D (just because I can), but, with all my addons in FS9, still smoother & far less hassles. I really do not need umpteen different views with the 'S' & 'A' keys. Too much hassle to try sort out what I'm looking at anyway. I'd rather spend more time actually flying than faffing!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...