Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Starter duty cycle

Hi Vernon 

Yes, in principle, some engines vary the time limits slightly but in general you should wait for the 2 mins, or at the very least wait until the engine stops rotating.

Heat is the main problem 

rgds

Pete Little

For some real starting fun wait till ya do a manual override of the engine start valve ;)

Has anyone had anyone of this in the PMDG though? I know Vernon's questions love to get deep (where's Quagmier?) but has anyone had any of this in the PMDG? I don't mean to discredit, and Vernon has his reasons for asking, but I've never had, or even seen on Youtube/Twitch, anyone have an issue with starting of engines. Does it happen in RL or PMDG much? As in, it is once in a blue moon? Or yes it can happen (and I don't mean once in every 5 years, hence blue moon)

I think he's just really technically interested in the aircraft. Good on him.

The only thing is lots of people believe flying airplanes (big and small) is some sort of NASA-esque super-procedural-based exercise.

It's really a much more fluid and 'brains-on' (<- my term for using your brain) then people think.

I suspect this is where simmers get a little caught up some times about little things like starter-duty cycles as such.

As for starter failures on Boeings? I've seen it a couple times. Seen the manual override done twice - once as a passenger, once another airlines' maintenance running.

Does it happen in RL or PMDG much? As in, it is once in a blue moon? Or yes it can happen (and I don't mean once in every 5 years, hence blue moon)

Starts in the real airplane are very reliable.  I've never seen a hot start or a wet start outside of the simulator.  Occasionally you will get a start where it won't spin up and that's usually a result of operator error due to not having the pneumatics set up correctly.

The only thing is lots of people believe flying airplanes (big and small) is some sort of NASA-esque super-procedural-based exercise.

It's really a much more fluid and 'brains-on' (<- my term for using your brain) then people think.

I've seen, and experienced, RL pilots commenting on it being obvious someone is a simmer by how much they instrument watch. In one of Froogle's video he was commenting that in a situation he was in at the time people would normally comment he had to go around at that point, but in reality, as long as it's safe and you get down it's fine. Which he did (obviously, or the point would be mute heh)

I've seen, and experienced, RL pilots commenting on it being obvious someone is a simmer by how much they instrument watch. In one of Froogle's video he was commenting that in a situation he was in at the time people would normally comment he had to go around at that point, but in reality, as long as it's safe and you get down it's fine. Which he did (obviously, or the point would be mute heh)

My initial instructor when I was getting my private certificate would flick my shoulder if I kept my head "inside" too much. Since I grew up simming prior to that, my only frame of reference was the instruments. When flying, despite having the tactile, inner ear, and better depth cues, I kept reverting to my old habits...and getting flicked.

"Eyes up!"

All the same, while it took me four years to get my license (paid for all of it myself as a high school and college student working odd jobs), it only took me 41 hours to do it, which I attribute to the sim upbringing.

As Patrick and you both allude to, aviation is more about using your brain and less about rote procedure, despite people's assertions otherwise. We do have procedures for quite a lot, but there's usually always something brain-driven as a catch-all/out in the case judgment needs to be exercised.

Kyle Rodgers

Here is a good video guys on starting engines

Not a fan of how he uses "should always" with his own company SOP, but it's otherwise reasonably well done. As discussed in your other thread, it might not be a good idea to always start on the right igniter.

Kyle Rodgers

Does it happen in RL or PMDG much? As in, it is once in a blue moon? Or yes it can happen (and I don't mean once in every 5 years, hence blue moon)

In the RW these days they are checked on a regular basis ie about every 2 weeks for oil contents (Airbus cfm's)not sure about Boeings as I don't handle any these days 

They also have chip detectors on them now and these are checked regularly,so the chances of one blowing are greatly reduced,but they do still happen.

rgds

Pete Little

Also, not sure where this 10 seconds is coming from, but based on the original post's SOP:

Not sure where the 20 seconds are coming from, but the 10 at least are from NP.21.33, Engine Start Procedure. Does anyone have a reference to the other figures?

sig.gif

Not sure where the 20 seconds are coming from, but the 10 at least are from NP.21.33, Engine Start Procedure. Does anyone have a reference to the other figures?

sig.gif

20 seconds is coming from the OP, which I'm guessing is some random SOP that was found. Regardless, it's worth mentioning that people should be adding in where they're getting these figures, because the changing figures is only adding confusion.

Kyle Rodgers