Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Radeon R9 Fury X with a $649 price tag...

...sounds like pretty much power per $...

Have been using Nvidia cards for as long as I can remember now but must admit a monster card with this kind of price tag is a bit interesting!

How are things with AMD cards and P3Dv2 these days, still not good friends?

Richard Åsberg

I had a R295x2, P3D and it did not get on as well as the 980 i have now, usual stuttering through the clouds, jumpy performance, same can be said for DCS.  

The drivers didn't get on with my multi-monitor display either, they kept switching off and AMD didn't even acknowledge the issue let alone fix it.  

Caveat Emptor.

Ian R Tyldesley

That confirms what I heard. Too bad but guess my next card will be an Nvidia as well then.

Richard Åsberg

Unfortunately AMD doesn't seem to want or care about the flight sim business. Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You'd probably need to upgrade your power supply anyways...

AMD cards are such power hogs.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Yeah, even with a nice price that doesn't help much if the card isn't suitable for P3D.

Richard Åsberg

The r295x2 is a beast, but is also a dual card. Since crossfire) thus far is not compatible with windowed apps, ie p3d, you really loose the benefit of the extra card :-(

However these new cards from a single card standpoint are promising allot of power at a reduced price.... Call me "curious" but they've got my attention if they can match a Titan!! I currently run a 290x and that fury looks like a really good update option.

AMD really needs to up it's game to get my attention.

Especially when it comes to driver updates! I read on HardOCP that it's been a 3-month wait between sets for just new beta drivers from AMD, where we are usually getting a fully certified set monthly from NVidia and a beta set in between.

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Guess it might come down to resources and what AMD can afford.

Richard Åsberg

...Dont know...I run a 290 since a year now with no problems @ 5780x1200. Not fully to the right with the sliders for shure, but it looks cool enough to me. And its silky smooth. As for Drivers: yeah, slow pace but one hears equal funny things about nvidia drivers too.  All my other games run flawlessly as well. If prices turn out to be what is announced, I like to give that 8GB card a chance...No ###### here, but its not as bad with AMD cards as some think it is...

Hm... the tests say it uses 175W!!!!!!!! "Power hog"? Maybe we should wait until the card is on the market BEFORE we kill it! As I understand the prize has not been set yet.... or? But as usual "I know"!!!!!

We are probably in for a LOONG theread again abolut AMD vs NVIDIA and as usual nobody can convince a disciple. This is going to be really fun.   :P  :rolleyes:

Jack

the Swede in spain

Jack,

Don't take any of my posts as NVidia-###### crap, I'm as hopeful as anyone that AMD puts out a kickass product that forced NVidia to actually compete.

The thing with AMD has been, for the last 5-10 years, every time they release a CPU or GPU it ends up being all hype. The 290X was awesome, except it doubles as an industrial space heater. Their Mantle-API that was supposed to revolutionize gaming, it's fizzling.

I'm a former AMD/ATi guy that was forced to go Intel/NVidia to keep the pace.

I'm no NVidia ######, just a perpetually disappointed in AMD consumer.

13.jpg

I think it~s great for AMD to release new powerful cards, because that forces Nvidia to lower their prices, and release more competitive products.

But for simming, Nvidia all the way!

Alexis Mefano