Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

I know it is a stupid question: FSX vs FSX SE

When you say "this project" do you mean FSX:SE or the new flight sim they are building? I think putting out FSX:SE was to gather interest and hear from users and so forth, also a learning exercise, and use these learnings on their new Flight Sim.

On reflection, I'd doubt the new flight sim, they are calling DFS for now, will be closed off so you can't buy from third parties, however one presumes they will pump all their add-ons through steam and make money that way aiming for most or a lot of users get the add-ons that way. We'd still be able to buy XXX add-on from simmarket or watever

FSX SE is much more stable for me than FSX ever was.  I use tons of Orbx, Active Sky, REX4, MyTraffic Pro, etc., etc., along with DX10 Fixer and performance and stability are excellent.

Proof of any of this, or just a bunch of hot air?

They did not purchase a FSX license just to abandon the project after 6 months.

You really think they're going to bother with an almost 9 year old engine, this is only give them publicity in flight simulation and a little later, like codechris said they'll probably make their own flight simulation game. 

They've certainly put a good bit of know-how into it (FSX-SE), but for many addons beware you may need to install the legacy simconnect .msi 61242 (10.0.61355.0) before installing addons. Simconnect 61242 is used by many older addons so that it worked with FSX Standard or Deluxe with SP1a for those that had not installed or did not want to install SP2 or Acceleration. 61242 also works at the same time with Acceleration and Gold, which is what the Steam version basically is FSX+A SP2 or Gold. The Steam version works with Acceleration or Gold SP2 addons as it installs legacy Simconnect 61259 from SP2, as well as its own version 62613.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You really think they're going to bother with a almost 9 year old engine, this is only give them publicity in flight simulation and a little later, like codechris said they'll probably make their own flight simulation game. 

Yes, they are and they even fixed some things and added a few.

So where is your proof? Just as I said, a bunch of of hot air.

2016 is a long way away.

Yes, they are and they even fixed some things and added a few.

So where is your proof? Just as I said, a bunch of of hot air.

2016 is a long way away.

Proof? I'm just speculating. 

Not probably, they are, it's confirmed. However, they have no released ANY information and are staying tight-lipped. The only thing they said is they hope for a 2016 release and it's based on Microsoft Flight technology. That's it however. But, from their perspective they see that as the FSX successor, which would give us XP, P3D and DFS in the long run, of actively maintained sims. Well, the big 3 anyway, I know there are other ones out there, military you have DCS, a glider one I can't remember the name of etc etc.

I'm sure even then, people will still be bringing out packages for FSX though. That is going to have a very long death

For OP though, if you have FSX and are happy, stick with it. If you have issues, maybe try SE and see if your issues resolve. If you don't have either, go with SE

I would go with most here. One notable exception and one I sorely miss is FSRecorder!

And ConcordeX.  This is the only reason I still hold onto boxes version of FSX.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Let's not forget that the GNS430/530 & the F1 Mustang do not work in FSX-Steam. That's about $150 down the drain if I made the move.

The only reason why FSX is still alive is because of all the add-ons available. As long as there is something new and exciting developed, FSX will live on.

Back to the "what's the difference?" 

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-X-Edition-Pc/dp/B001DPZE84

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Right now you can get FSX-Steam for $5. For those who are just starting out, this one is a no brainer.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

What would be cool is if you could just take the FSX-SE EXE and DLLs and drop them into the old FSX dir.  I have FSX boxed and P3D installed and groan even with the idea of installing SE, even with the greater stability.  I do fly the Mustang and use the 430/530 so I wouldn't want to do without those at all.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

"I know it is a stupid question..........."

It's probably better to just let this thread die out, but I can't resist. Apart from the fact that not all FSX addons work in SE, the reality is that the vast majority do and more are being upgraded all the time.

Here's my answer to the OP - if you want all of the advantages of FSX without the hassles, and if you want an excellent sim without the high cost of P3D, then SE is a great choice. It is everything that FSX could have been if MS had got it right in the first place... And it's on sale right now for $4.99 US.... Seems like a no-lose situation to me. Personally, I love it!

As for the comments about it not having a future - the good folks at Orbyx recently made an exclusive deal with Dovetail/Steam and I think they know what they're doing. I don't have any doubts that it has a future

Ian