Sign in to follow this  
cubs

Thinking About Upgrading to P3D

I am thinking about removing FSX and installing P3D. My computer: Intel® Core I7-2700 CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM 8.00 GB 64-bit Operating System built from Jetline. Nvidea GeForce GTX 770. Windows 7.

I have the PMDG 737 and 777. and I run some FTX sceneries.

Thanks for any advise!

Doug

Edited by Jim Young
Title edited to remove shouting (All Caps). See pinned topic in Hangar Chat

I'm not sure what your question is.

Are you asking if your computer will run P3D?

If you are enjoying FSX I would stay with that until your next PC upgrade then move over? Your system might struggle a bit with some of the eye candy in P3D with your current system.

Cheers

Martin

I am moving from FS to P3D right now, after a major problem with FSX. On my system (a bit worse than yours) the performance of P3D is much better than FSX. With FTX sceneries and payware aircraft (Majestic Dash 8, QW BaE146) I have frame rates in the 50s, while it was around 20-25 with FSX (with much more modest graphics settings). 

I was most impressed with FlyTampa CYYC, which brought FSX to its knees (< 10 fps even with the light version and graphics details set to very low levels). Now I get about 20 fps with dense graphics settings and the full installation of CYYC.

The drawback is that PMDG charges outrageous amounts for their planes for P3D. I also own the FSX versions of the 737 and 777 and loved them, but I am really appalled

by their decision that previous FSX owners have to buy the planes again without any discount. I will probably get the 737 from another developer for P3D, and wait for the Aerosoft A330 before I will do that.

Peter

You had your chance at a 'discount' the first week PMDG released the 737 on P3D.  I snagged all of it up, both 737 and 777.  There is no better 737 simulation on the market.    Save up, sell your blood, whatever it takes if you really want the best 737 simulation.

As for moving to P3D, do it.   I hung up my FSX long ago and have never been  happier with the move to P3D.   Just remember this one tip.   The settings you used in FSX do not translate directly to P3D and you may find yourself struggling for frames and smoothness and saying to yourself, "but I get XXX FPS in FSX with these settings..."

Do not fall into this trap.   Example.    The MAX LOD slider in FSX vs. P3D is wildly different.   The LOD slider in FSX put your LOD at 4.5 on max.    The same MAX LOD setting in P3D makes it 6.5, a significant difference in Autogen population draw distance, terrain texture crispness and VAS usage.

One of us!  One of us!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Don't think, do! Or do not, there is no think! But seriously, I made the switch, and never looked back. Something about having a sim actually use my gpu, and its still in active development. You won't regret it. My 2¢.

With a good video card (and the 770 isn't trash at all), P3D will run smoother than FSX. Well, as long as you don't push it too hard that is.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

It should work fine.  My home system is an i7-2600K @ 4.3, 16GB and a GTX970, and it runs way, way smoother than FSX.  I was set to upgrade my mobo+CPU and decided to wait simply because P3D is so smooth I don't feel the need to, whereas FSX performance wasn't good at all.

sig01.png

Hey cubs,

Turn loose of $10.00 - DownLoad the Developer  Version - Run it side by side with FSX - after a month - if You like it - Download a Full Version - I am 3 days into this process - as We speak !! - I think its going to be a Keeper - Good Luck in Your NEW Career !

Johnman ^_^ :rolleyes: :BigGrin: B)

Gents,

What is the best P3D choice for the FSX replacement? There are different versions but i don't like to pay for every month of use.  

Only once thats it.

Regards Jovabra

Gents,

What is the best P3D choice for the FSX replacement? There are different versions but i don't like to pay for every month of use.  

Only once thats it.

Regards Jovabra

Academic, one purchase and done.

P3D runs much better on my stem that FSX and my friend just switched to P3D and his runs better too.  We both have i5 processors. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Doug

if you do choose to go with P3D, then I would leave FSX installed on your system. It can be very useful for porting over add-on aircraft etc.

I echo what others says above, in that P3D runs more smoothly than FSX but this may be system dependant.

Regards

Kevin

Do it..I still have FSX but I rarely use it any more ever since I moved over to P3D a few months ago.