Sign in to follow this  
FlightSimDimm

Prepar3d 2.5 pagefile and ram usage question

I am looking for some insight to make sure my system is configured properly...

I just installed my second GTX 780 in SLI on a Windows 7 64 bit Alienware and was testing to make sure Prepar3D was using both video cards by using the Afterburner performance graphs.

What I noticed that seem bizarre is that my system memory has 8Gig and using about half of the physical memory when running P3D. The virtual memory is also 8 gig and using about 6Gig of that.

Why am I not using more physical memory and less virtual memory? Is this normal behavior for the sim? 

Here is a pic of the Afterburner graph that I was referring to.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2D1Nes8ShkLYVoyTDF0TTl1QzA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Your picture seems to show the pagefile size.

pagefile is system-wide and there isn't a specific one for P3D

Your picture seems to show the pagefile size.

pagefile is system-wide and there isn't a specific one for P3D

Thanks - Yes, I understand that the pagefile is for the entire system. My question is more about why more of the physical memory is not being used before it goes to the pagefile. Most people say to get more memory for Prepar3D but it seems I am not utilizing the memory I have installed currently.  I have never had an OOM error up to now but it seemed strange that I am not using all my hardware resources. 

I took the graph while parked at KATL in a 747 with lots of UT2 traffic so I expected to see more physical memory being gobbled up....

You can always set your pagefile size to zero and see what happens.

You can always set your pagefile size to zero and see what happens.

thanks - I'll give that a try. Do you have your system set that way?

I remember years ago, that was a common tweak people suggested. However, you can find that causes more problems then it solves. However, trying it won't do any harm so you could give it ago.

However this comes down to how Windows manages memory. You'll see on *nix systems that memory management is OS dependent. What you are seeing though is the use of standby memory. This is pretty normal

Remember you cannot use more than 4gig with prepar3d anyway so you won't see useage go up even if you disable your page file which is a bad idea these days. Windows actually manages virtual memory very well, it's not the 90s any more! :)

Chris

thanks - I'll give that a try. Do you have your system set that way?

No. I let Windows decide - it's clever than I am!  Also in that case, the size of pagefile doesn't change on loading flight simulator.

Let us know if you can really get a significant performance increase.

I am looking for some insight to make sure my system is configured properly...

I just installed my second GTX 780 in SLI on a Windows 7 64 bit...

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Do you have any improvement with the second 780...? I bought one as well after the SLI profile announcement and no matter what I do, I always get horrible performance. Around less 10/15 FPS than with a single GPU and lots of image lag.

I have tried SLI in RoF, BoS and DCS with excellent results in terms of performance. P3D v2.x is still a dog for both CPU’s and GPU’s. The optimization and performance of other sim platforms with the current drivers are miles away from P3D v2.x…

Regards,

AK

PS: I have tried, in the past, disabling the page file to try to improve performance and it solved nothing. In fact I have gained several other problems. I leave it on auto now I guess that with SSD’s it’s pretty useless to mess with the page file.

Best regards, Luís

SYSTEM (build date july, 2023): Case: Lian Li Lancool III  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI  CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor @ 6.0 GHZ  |  RAM: 128 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 4800 MHZ  |  MVMe 1: 4 TB Crucial T700 PCIe Gen 5 MVMe 2: 4TB WD Black SN850X PCIe Gen 4 Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite LCD XT | PSU: Corsair HX1500i | GPU: Asus ROG STRIX Gaming 4090 OC | Microsoft Windows 11 x64 Pro

Do you have any improvement with the second 780...? I bought one as well after the SLI profile announcement and no matter what I do, I always get horrible performance. Around less 10/15 FPS than with a single GPU and lots of image lag.
I have tried SLI in RoF, BoS and DCS with excellent results in terms of performance. P3D v2.x is still a dog for both CPU’s and GPU’s. The optimization and performance of other sim platforms with the current drivers are miles away from P3D v2.x…

Not a huge improvement - maybe 10-12% . A bit better frames when using 4x SGSS. Nothing to brag about at this point.  I accept that is this the first try at SLI and there are going to be some growing pains so I will be patient and let the good folks at LM and Nvidia work out the kinks.

I have tried, in the past, disabling the page file to try to improve performance and it solved nothing. In fact I have gained several other problems. I leave it on auto now I guess that with SSD’s it’s pretty useless to mess with the page file.

I decided not to muck with my pagefile at this point. I did notice there is about a 50% increase in the use of the pagefile when SLI is enabled. That may be why I am just now noticing the substantial increase.