Sign in to follow this  
Silleke21

2 quenstions about programming FMC route EHAM EGLL

Hi,

I have 2 questions about the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies.

I would like to fly from EHAM to EGLL and I programmed this into the FMC's LTE page. I used SID GORLO and waypoints REFSO XAMAN LOGAN. STAR CF09L FF09L RW09L (1580) (3000) (VECTORS). From GORLO up and till RW09L speed and altitude are automatically calculated, but at (1580) and (3000) the speed is not automatically calculated. At (VECTORS) no speed and no altitude are calculated. Could anybody please help me out? I am pretty sure I filled the PREF INIT, THRUST LIMIT, TAKEOFF REF and APPROACH REF in in the right manner. There also are no conflict messages or whatsoever with the FMC.

I have another question. Do I need to fill in anything else (route) in the FMC for an autoland at EGLL? If so, what?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Silleke21 (Silvie)

Autoland can be a little complex at first, at least I found it a little tricky to get my head round. But essentially, program the approach, set the radios and then you need to program the MCP correctly. But as far as the FMC is concerned you just need to set the approach up. My advice is to find some videos on Youtube to have it explained

Secondly, when you setup the departcher, the FMC will put in what speed and hight restrictions it knows about, if any, however you need to check the SID charts and make sure they are correct.

But your STAR is this; CF09L FF09L this is approaching runway RW09L this is the runway you land on (1580) (3000) (VECTORS) this is missed approach.

Check the missed approach procedure. ATC will tell you what they want and expect. Again, check the charts and see what is expected of you so you know, though. To be honest though, unless you're flying online, I'd execute some of the missed approach, but then circle back around to attempt to land once more.

Another thing, you leave the approach pages alone until you are coming up to top of descent, not on the ground

Hi there,

Firstly, you're missing a route section -- the STAR would be a LAM3A (which routes LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM, from memory). You'd then ordinarily get vectors from LAM for the ILS, but if you select a transition (i.e. LAM) you'll get a route from LAM to the final approach.

In case (1580) (3000) (VECTORS) are conditional waypoints representing the missed approach procedure (straight ahead to IAA D0 or 1580ft, whichever later, then left hdg 038, climb 3000), so you won't have any speeds or altitudes calculated. There can't be anything calculated for VECTORS in particular because you'll be being assigned headings and altitudes by ATC.

You don't need to fill anything else in in the FMC, but you do need to ensure that the ILS is tuned and identified, and you'll need to ensure you have selected APP mode and captured the ILS and glideslope. You'd then need to ensure that all three autopilots are in CMD and verify that the FMA is displaying SPD | LOC | GS and LAND 3 annunciates below 1500R. You'd then need to continue monitoring to ensure that the localiser and glideslope tracking is satisifactory and FLARE arms and activates.

Don't forget also that you'll need to control the speed yourself via the MCP once you are established.

That;s a good point Simon. Silvie, how did you program the SID and STAR exactly? I can't remember what the FMC is like on the 747, so maybe comparing with the NGX is pointless, but on the NGX you have a DPT/ARR button to program the SID and STAR which add's the correct sections to the legs page.

Also, funnily, I had more issues with trying to get autoland to work, then I did hand landing it :)

That;s a good point Simon. Silvie, how did you program the SID and STAR exactly? I can't remember what the FMC is like on the 747, so maybe comparing with the NGX is pointless, but on the NGX you have a DPT/ARR button to program the SID and STAR which add's the correct sections to the legs page.

Also, funnily, I had more issues with trying to get autoland to work, then I did hand landing it :)

I programmed the SID and STAR via the DPT/ARR button. And that's good to know, I'am at least not the only person with troubles with getting the autoland to work :D

Autoland can be a little complex at first, at least I found it a little tricky to get my head round. But essentially, program the approach, set the radios and then you need to program the MCP correctly. But as far as the FMC is concerned you just need to set the approach up. My advice is to find some videos on Youtube to have it explained

Secondly, when you setup the departcher, the FMC will put in what speed and hight restrictions it knows about, if any, however you need to check the SID charts and make sure they are correct.

But your STAR is this; CF09L FF09L this is approaching runway RW09L this is the runway you land on (1580) (3000) (VECTORS) this is missed approach.

Check the missed approach procedure. ATC will tell you what they want and expect. Again, check the charts and see what is expected of you so you know, though. To be honest though, unless you're flying online, I'd execute some of the missed approach, but then circle back around to attempt to land once more.

Another thing, you leave the approach pages alone until you are coming up to top of descent, not on the ground

This makes a lot of sense! Only problem: I use the default ATC in FSX. I know it is really bad, but I made a mistake with the VOX ATC demo, so I could not use it anymore. Besides this, I live in the Netherlands and the sale at the VOX ATC website is for UK and outside EU citizens only.

And will watch more videos about the FMC and autoland.

I programmed the SID and STAR via the DPT/ARR button. And that's good to know, I'am at least not the only person with troubles with getting the autoland to work :D

Silvie,

You've not programmed a STAR: only an approach.

You'd need to select the runway and approach (in this case, ILS09L), then on the left hand side you should see a list of STARS -- in this instance you'd need to select LAM3A. Finally, select LAM as the approach transition (on the right hand side). This should then give you the full list of waypoints: REFSO XAMAN LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM, a bunch of other waypoints that get you from LAM to CF09L, then the rest of the approach as you have described.

Autoland is a function of the ILS: as I say, if you have the correct ILS frequency tuned and captured, it should work fine. But it requires some manual intervention to get from LNAV/VNAV to APP mode, and as I say you'll need to manage the speed yourself.

Silvie,

You've not programmed a STAR: only an approach.

You'd need to select the runway and approach (in this case, ILS09L), then on the left hand side you should see a list of STARS -- in this instance you'd need to select LAM3A. Finally, select LAM as the approach transition (on the right hand side). This should then give you the full list of waypoints: REFSO XAMAN LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM, a bunch of other waypoints that get you from LAM to CF09L, then the rest of the approach as you have described.

Autoland is a function of the ILS: as I say, if you have the correct ILS frequency tuned and captured, it should work fine. But it requires some manual intervention to get from LNAV/VNAV to APP mode, and as I say you'll need to manage the speed yourself.

Thanks for your quick correction and other infomation! I really appreciate it. Now I am going to bed. Tomorrow I will watch some more videos and try again. I will keep you guys posted.

Angle of Attack made a video series on the 747. I don't know how good it is, but I've seen it and thought it was well detailed. That might help

Angle of Attack made a video series on the 747. I don't know how good it is, but I've seen it and thought it was well detailed. That might help

Thanks! I will have a look at it.

Hi Silvie,

In addition to the advice above, just check to make sure in the Approach Ref page you have confirmed the approach speed and flaps. This does need to be confirmed by re-entry of these 2 parameters at LSK 4R for Autoland to work.

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Autoland is actually a fairly basic mode.

There is no need to program a STAR or ARR in the FMC to do an autoland as all you need is the correct ILS tuned and set (NAV/RAD) and engage an autopilot and then APP mode (G/S and LOC).

Of course it is nice to have the FMC fully programed but not a nescessity to being able to complete one.