Sign in to follow this  
glsimpilot

My last real flight sim PC build was in 2010, so....

Its time again, and I have some budget to work with. I have some thoughts on what I want to do. I have some parts loosely selected and would appreciate any feedback, or just help me remember what I don't already know or forgot.

This will be a PC used as a gamer, but I'll also do some playing around with VMware as I load up windows server OSs in a lab environment. Here goes...

For CPU, I prefer Intel and I've researched the Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150. I'll pick up an aftermarket heat sink as well.

It seems I can go higher but I'm not sure its worth it.

For the video card, I've eyeballed the Nvidia GTX 970, but something tells me I need to go more along the lines of the 980. However, my goodness, the price difference from the 970 to the 980 might not seem worth it. Here is the one I have saved to look at.

I also plan on this finally being my first true 3 monitor setup. I'm looking forward to using it in flight and race simulations/gamesI have to ensure the card will work well with Nvidia surround. 

I plan on starting with 16GB of memory, of which I have not settled on yet because I have not settled on what I need for a MOTHERBOARD.

Power supply I'll be sure to find something modular and, powerful.

I'll go some flavor of SSD as well.

The last build was inside of a  Cooler Master HAF 922 and to be honest I felt that's all I needed this time too. I really liked it. This time around I'm leaning towards the Cooler Master HAF 932 but the extra expense on it is gnawing at me.

What do you guys think? Comments, suggestions, pitfalls, questions?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Hey there!  This seems to be a great start.  I'll go in the order you made your post.

The CPU is still a reference, it's a great choice.  I'd go with a Corsair water cooling solution (H60 for modest overclock, H80i/H100i for heavy OC).

The GTX970 is a great choice in itself and that's what I run on my system.  In your case though, I'd also consider the GTX980 (or, if you're aiming towards P3D, maybe 2 GTX970s in SLI), due to the 3 monitor setup.  Not saying the 970 can't handle it, because it can, but maybe for future-proofing - alternatively, you could also go with a 970 and you can always add a second one down the road.

16GB of memory is a great starting point, and if I may, for around the same price, get 2x8GB DIMMs instead of 4x4GB.  Always get the fastest memory you can afford (honestly, go for 2400MHz).

You should choose a Z97 motherboard, and ideally not the cheapest.  I've always liked Asus and MSI boards.  The more you want to overclock and push your system, the more money you should invest in the motherboard.

As for the power supply, this is a CRITICAL part - I absolutely recommend a 80Plus Gold certified PSU from a reputable brand.  Corsair, Seasonic, XFX come to mind - EVGA has gotten pretty good lately too.  For one graphics card, 650W should be more than enough, but I'd go to 750W if you consider a 2-card SLI or a heavy overclock, and maybe even more if you want to combine both.

The case is a personal choice.  I love to work in the Corsair cases, and Antec make great boxes too, but I've heard good things about the HAF.  

If you want an SSD, go with the Samsung 850 EVO.  The new Intel 750 is incredible (and coming to our AFC CarbonX system) but it's still quite expensive.  I'd get a 250GB for the OS.  If you want to install FSX/P3D on an SSD, I'd get a second one - but the performance gain is very marginal outside of loading times.  I recommend a WD Black series HDD to install games.

Lastly, I'd absolutely get the Pro version of your OS, so it'll upgrade to Win10 Pro.  Win7 Pro and Win8.1 Pro are roughly the same price right now.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions!

sig01.png

Thanks for your input. I have been researching the last few days and asking questions, and have come up with a rough draft of a parts list. Yes, you'll see a Ti in there, I'm exploring that option, I'm really hoping for decent 3 screen performance. I'm doing this once now, and as with my previous builds I will probably not rebuild from scratch for many years.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LVjKVn

I was going to ask about putting flight sims on SSD, but with their limited size I assume put my OS on an SSD and have a large data drive for everything else. 

The 980Ti is a solid choice, but I'd go with MSI or ASUS strictly based on service and reliability.  Also, the reference design tends to run hotter and louder than, for example, MSI's cooling solution.  Waiting for the manufacturers to release their designs could pay off.

Again, based on performance and sound, self-contained water coolers can be great, and are (almost, based on who you talk to) a must for overclocking.

The ASUS mobo is pretty good, great for the price, and would absolutely run a modest overclock.  

I'd absolutely spring for 2400MHz DDR3.

Avoid that hard disk.  Not only is Seagate noticeably less reliable than WD, this particular one runs at 5900RPM and will definitely hinder performance.  Again, I would go with a WD Black series.

Case and PSU are great.

I don't see an operating system, don't forget, unless you have a retail disk, you can't reinstall a previous system's OEM version.

sig01.png

I'm going to tweak that HD. I'm also going to tweak the memory to have it more of a standard speed like 1600. I'm not sure I'm see anything in 2400. Could be wrong. My big money items will be that video card and 3 monitors. But this is going to last me a while and now, I have the budget so need to go for it.

I'm going to tweak that HD. I'm also going to tweak the memory to have it more of a standard speed like 1600. I'm not sure I'm see anything in 2400. Could be wrong. My big money items will be that video card and 3 monitors. But this is going to last me a while and now, I have the budget so need to go for it.

Motherboard = ASUS Maximus VII Formula ROG  = happy - carry on

Rich Sennett

You know, I'm not smart enough to know what that means. Plus I'm on the phone and researching is limited. Will look into it later. Thanks!

I was going to ask about putting flight sims on SSD, but with their limited size I assume put my OS on an SSD and have a large data drive for everything else.

Before you decide, check the size of your FSX/P3D/X-Plane installation(s) and ask yourself how much additional space you're likely to need for simming in say the next 5 years. A 512MB or 1T SSD could very well be more than enough for your OS, flight simulator and many other apps. There's no performance penalty in FSX for running the OS and the sim from the same SSD, so no need to put the sim on a separate drive. SSDs are extremely fast, and I've never had a problem of any kind running this configuration.

Also, develop a plan for backups and storage. You'll need a drive for cloning your SSD. I use an eSata Western Digital Velociraptor (10,000rpm) for this. You may also need an additional two drives: 1 for storage and 1 to backup your storage. I suggest you use the storage drive for all downloads and for virtual memory space in order to keep SSD writes/erases to a minimum.

I built my system from scratch in 2011 and still remember how much fun it was. I tried to future-proof it as much as possible and still have no plans to upgrade it because it keeps speedily handling everything I throw at it.

Enjoy your new box!

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

You know, I'm not smart enough to know what that means. Plus I'm on the phone and researching is limited. Will look into it later. Thanks!

Get this MB  (ASUS Maximus VII Formula ROG) 

Rich Sennett

Get this MB  (ASUS Maximus VII Formula ROG)

Or this, not as feature rich but every bit as capable as over clocking goes-- Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero.

Or this, not as feature rich but every bit as capable as over clocking goes-- Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero.

Judging by the OP's budget and build so far, I absolutely agree with you.

sig01.png

Judging by the OP's budget and build so far, I absolutely agree with you.

During my last building had my heart set on the Formula, until I realized that the power delivery and over clocking options were identical on the Hero. Money saved!

Hapily blazing at 4.8ghz at 1.22v!

I'll read up on it. This is throwing a wrench into my motherboard plan. Had not considered that motherboard. Saw one pop up on front page of Newegg too before I walked out for afternoon too. Although I have some budget to play with, my goal is always to get what I want but for the lowest possible price. If I spend higher up, I feel it must be video card.

I am using an i7 4790k with an MSI GTX 970 and love it. As for the motherboard, I have a Gigabyte Gaming 7 and I have been really happy with it. I am overclocked to 4.7 Ghz running off a Hyper 212 EVO and temps are in the mid 60's, which I am happy with. I don't know what website you are using to purchase things, but www.pcpartpicker.com makes it really easy. I hadn't built a computer in 10 years and when I built this one in April that is the website I used. Was great being able to compare everything from different vendors right away.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Made a few edits, here is where I am at as of this post time. My mind... is getting foggy so I'm about to head out to garage for a bit to do some needed work on this and that.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.98 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($148.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($142.89 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $1739.69

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-20 18:19 EDT-0400

As a side, a few have muddied the waters on the MB pick although I think I'm 90% good where I am at with the one selected above. Their suggestions were to look at (the more expensive in some cases)

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

and 

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard