Sign in to follow this  
glsimpilot

My last real flight sim PC build was in 2010, so....

Your build looks epic. A few suggestions based on experience: 1) I suggested the ROG Maximus VII Hero. Easiest over clocking ever, squeeze that cpu! 2) RAM speed can be helpful. Gskill Trident 2400 is on par price wise, and is CAS10 xmp profile. Very fast. 3) Water cool 240mm radiator for several reasons: quiet, cold, and isn't a huge brick sitting on your CPU. 4) Bigger ssd, scenery fills up your drive fast, you will blow thru 256gb in no time. My 2¢, I build a lot of computers. Good luck, looks like you are building a winner!

Made a few edits, here is where I am at as of this post time. My mind... is getting foggy so I'm about to head out to garage for a bit to do some needed work on this and that.

My rig thought it might get you excited about your new build - 16 more gig of ram going in asap

2wbvkmv.jpg

i7- 4790k OC 4.6GHz / Corsair Water Cooler HI100 - ASUS Maximus VII Formula ROG - 16 gig Corsair Vengeance 2133 Platinums - EVGA Titan X 12gb / Corsair Water Cooler H75 - 512gb Vertex 4 SSD  - Samsung 512gb EVO SSD - EVGA 1100 Supernova P2 Power Supply-  Creative Titanium HD - Windows7 Ultimate x64 - BENQ 32" BL3200PT - 2560 x 1440 - NZXT Phantom 820 Case (White) - Saitek Hardware - P3D V2

Rich Sennett

My rig thought it might get you excited about your new build - 16 more gig of ram going in asap

Awesome build, seriously considering a white theme for the next megs-build, as I just might be employed again next week!! I couldn't help but notice you are on Win7, I was until I noticed less overhead on Win8.1. Any reason why you are still on 7? (Besides 8.1 being hideous)

I run an externally mounted H110 on my 4790k it keeps things good and cool.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The RAM is too slow for a 4690/4790K build

Look for some 2133 MHz with lowest timings you can find

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The RAM is too slow for a 4690/4790K build

Look for some 2133 MHz with lowest timings you can find

You really think so? Would anyone even notice?

Yes.  I mean, you don't have to, but this system can easily be tuned to achieve higher performance for very little money - I don't get why you wouldn't.

sig01.png

Yes. I mean, you don't have to, but this system can easily be tuned to achieve higher performance for very little money - I don't get why you wouldn't.

Because were are still researching and discussing! I'm open to everything within reason.

I'm sim, the difference will probably be nil, but you would have the available overhead and capability to put that faster RAM to work down the road. The price difference is so small it makes sense to me to get the fastest RAM with lowest latency available. And the gskill is rock solid and highly reviewed. I use it exclusively unless the customer specifies otherwise.

I'm sim, the difference will probably be nil, but you would have the available overhead and capability to put that faster RAM to work down the road. The price difference is so small it makes sense to me to get the fastest RAM with lowest latency available. And the gskill is rock solid and highly reviewed. I use it exclusively unless the customer specifies otherwise.

I also do, mainly due to the stellar customer service I get from them.  Once in a while I get a bad stick, and they send me a replacement as soon as I give them a tracking number for the outgoing one.

sig01.png

I also do, mainly due to the stellar customer service I get from them.  Once in a while I get a bad stick, and they send me a replacement as soon as I give them a tracking number for the outgoing one

Wow, that's impressive. Believe it or not, I never had to RA a stick from gskill! Another thing to consider, lifetime warranty, even on the Trident enthusiast products.

Depending on who who ask, you get all opinions from people that think what they feel is right. I am open to all of it, and it gives me direction in researching. At the end of the day I get help from you folks then I go and dig in myself for personal knowledge. Some people say you will not get any real benefit from fast ram, some say you will. I tend to error on the side of, if its not that much more expensive then go faster everything.

I'm sim, the difference will probably be nil, but you would have the available overhead and capability to put that faster RAM to work down the road. The price difference is so small it makes sense to me to get the fastest RAM with lowest latency available.

I agree, but I'm curious if anyone has ever found a compelling case for faster RAM beyond benchmarks or integrated video.

I ended up getting DDR3-2133 with my Haswell build because the price delta was next to nothing and it would save me wondering "what if?", but I'm curious if anyone has any real-world use cases for higher bandwidth RAM.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.