Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Saab 340A v1.2 Update Released!

For me, the Saab is WAY heavier. Like, half the FPS.

Richard, is this before or after the latest update?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

The very first release was quite framerate heavy, but now it's pretty much comparable (in fps) to one of the HD planes from Carenado.

Is there a way to get notified when there's a sale?

You can register an account and sign up for the newsletter. That said, I should state here and now that we do not really do many sales save for Black Friday. Even then, some products never go on sale. In the couple of years the Saab 340A has been on the market, it has only been at discount once or twice. So, be prepared to wait quite a while if you take this route more than likely.

This is a very complex add-on and well priced as such.

good question, is there?

See my response to the quote above, and keep in mind the "sale" philosophy we have. It rarely happens.

Founder of X-Aviation

On approach to lax in the shot on the first page I think I was getting 16-19 fps - similar to the C king air - or slightly less

2500K @4GHz GTX 970

I run really heavy settings though (I'm a FSX/P3D spoiled by eye candy hehe)

Just sitting on the ramp here at LAX I'm at 25 fps.

It's a very very nice addon.  I totally understand where people are coming from about the price.  I just had a total life change at my house and my budget is way down for flight sim, not to mention time available.  If you use XP a lot and you like to do about 260-300 KTAS below FL200 this is the plane for you.  It would also probably make a good FSE aircraft.

sf34lax2.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Can you specify your system specs and what you mean by "WAY heavier" than Carenado add ons?  I've seen the exact opposite on several peoples systems.  My system is about 4 years old, and I'm getting, on average, 40fps+.  Minimum of 28-30fps, all with render settings set to high.

Well, first of all I still haven't tested version 1.2. I was talking about 1.1 which was quite FPS heavy on my system. Though a lot better than the very first release. My system is an unclocked 3770k with 16gb RAM and an 780GTX running win7 x64 ultimate.

My settings aren't excessively high, however I can definitely run higher settings with my Carenado fleet (B1900D, C208, C337, Ct210 and F33) and still have better performance. 

Now, however, I am off to test the newest version of the Saab!

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Waiting for some report on the new upgrade because otherwise half FPS of a carenado means unflyable for me.

Well.. Have just been at it for a short time but it seems there has been lots of improvements. Will return later and report. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Well.

Just completed a 550NM flight using 10.4b1 and it was absolutely flawless. Performance was great. Granted, I wasn't flying over any complex scenery but there were lots of clouds (which usually kills my performance) but it was still very much enjoyable. 

I am definitely going to spend more time in the Saab now. 

EDIT: Yeah, and obviously the new version of the Saab; v1.2.

Richard

Waiting for some report on the new upgrade because otherwise half FPS of a carenado means unflyable for me.

Well, I am a new user of the Saab 340 and with a marginal system. I usually get from 20-30 fps. Using this aircraft I have as yet to see any framerate drop at all. 

With Carenado aircraft (eg the PC-12) I get a horrendous 10fps drop - makes the thing unflyable for me. Not so with the Saab.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

i love this payware more than my mother n law  :lol:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: amazing work LES.

It's probably the PMDG of X-Plane 10. Should I still be using X-Plane, I wouldn't hesitate buying this one - for $55 it's a bargain given the complexity of the modeling done on this add-on...

I would have bought the thing ages ago if not for the high price. Even now, it took a lot of yes/no before I pulled the trigger. Also bear in mind that with the exchange rate being so poor in Australia a t the moment, I am paying almost $70! 

The other problem that I am sure we have all experienced, is that I have bought so many aircraft that have been a disappointment or I do not fly.I have spend hundreds on aircraft that I deem a total waste of money. Since there is no refund on most of these purchases, it is a big risk. I only have 2 aircraft (the STMA PC-12 and the DHC-6) that I think are worth what I paid for them. All my other purchases (some 10 or more) have been a total waste. So I have a less than 20% chance of not wasting my money, it seems, not good odds. That is why it took so long for me to get this aircraft - but the inclusion of the 530 tipped the scales.

Anyway - this aircraft LOOKS brilliant. But then so do the Carenado planes. But unlike the Carenado offerings, this is a study aircraft, which is a huge difference. I would have liked the proper POM or AFM, but the manuals provided are fairly good. 

I have only done a few flights in it so far, and my feelings are mixed. I like the systems, but flying the plane manually so far has been pretty awful. Probably my fault, but time will tell.

If you want to get a plane, hop in, and do a few circuits around the airfield, then this is not the one for you. Just taking off is a chore and has to be done properly. This is not a bad thing - you would not do that in a real plane either. 

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Hand flying seems super touchy on my end..,  I feel like I'm trying to balance two balls on top of each other... almost feels like the sensitivity of a helo.  Even with a trimmed aircraft it's touchy.  But I like the touchiness for the most part.  It difficult if you hand fly online... making frequency changes is a biatch.  However it was nice of LES to create a popup for the radios...  I find myself using that for COMM1/2 a ton now!  And I finally programmed buttons on my CH throttle for OBS and HDG bug changes... helps a TON!

It's not LES' fault - but a lot of this aircraft programming is done on the center pedestal  -again a PITA if you fly online and aren't perfectly trimmed.  Still I'm very happy with the updated click manipulators!  Thanks!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hand flying seems super touchy on my end..,  I feel like I'm trying to balance two balls on top of each other... almost feels like the sensitivity of a helo.  Even with a trimmed aircraft it's touchy.  But I like the touchiness for the most part.
Ryan,

Our Saab (real world) pilot consultants have told us that the real plane flies exactly that way, especially at lower airspeeds (approach, etc.).

Jim

Hand flying seems super touchy on my end.., I feel like I'm trying to balance two balls on top of each other... almost feels like the sensitivity of a helo.
I have a similar experience. Very hard to fly manually. I even mentioned it to Support it concerned me that much. I have only done a few flights though, so time will tell.

Hand flying seems super touchy on my end..,  I feel like I'm trying to balance two balls on top of each other... almost feels like the sensitivity of a helo.  Even with a trimmed aircraft it's touchy.  But I like the touchiness for the most part.  It difficult if you hand fly online... making frequency changes is a biatch.  However it was nice of LES to create a popup for the radios...  I find myself using that for COMM1/2 a ton now!  And I finally programmed buttons on my CH throttle for OBS and HDG bug changes... helps a TON!

I have a similar experience. Very hard to fly manually. I even mentioned it to Support it concerned me that much. I have only done a few flights though, so time will tell.

I'm going to take this moment to re-iterate what Jim said above. Not only did we have real world pilot consultants actually flying and developing this simulation with us (and essentially making up the core of our original beta team), but today this simulation is utilized by multiple airlines whom fly the Saab 340 as part of their IOE training for new-hire pilots. We do stand by our claim on the accuracy of this flight model!

Glad to hear so many others are enjoying the update! :)

Founder of X-Aviation

Lets try this again...when I put this here previously it was removed because SOMEONE complained about it. Avsim politics/favoritism don't you know. My point in posting this is merely to show how sensitive (or not sensitive) the real plane appears to be in regards to its control forces applied:

Have a look at 1:55 into it and beyond as he lands...doesn't seem the plane is too sensitive to inputs at all really.

Ryan, are you getting results that are somewhat similar in any way to this?