Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Win10 and DX12 - a reason to upgrade your graphics card?

I've been thinking for a while to upgrade my current GTX Titan (1st gen) but so far I've held back not being convinced I would see much benefit compared to the cost to replace the card but now with Win10 and DX12 around the corner and with my current graphics card only supporting DX11 I wonder if this in itself would be a reason to get a new graphics card and then probably a GTX 980 Ti.

Or maybe I won't have any use for a DX12 compatible graphics card as long as P3D doesn't support DX12. But still I've seen some people who tried beta versions of Win 10 reported both improved performance and an overall more smooth experience in Win10 vs Win7 so maybe some of the DX12 stuff still will give you a boost even before P3D actually has (full) support for it.

What do you guys think?

Richard Åsberg

Checked the specs for my card at Nvidia's site and it said DX10.

Will check out the link, thanks.

Richard Åsberg

I am not sure where you read that the Titan will not be compatible with DX12 but I think you should read this article, especially the reply from Nvida to a person asking about the titan

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/report-directx-12-to-be-exclusive-to-windows-10-nvidia-lists-dx12-compatible-gpus/

I now read through the post in the link and without reading every single post (was a rather long thread) I understood that my 1st gen Titan will have DX12 support limited to software changes but to get full DX12 support I would need a new graphics card in the 9xx series.

Richard Åsberg

1st gen Titan will have DX12 support limited to software changes but to get full DX12 support I would need a new graphics card in the 9xx series.

Yes.  DX12 for P3D would definitely be welcome as it's well suited to this type of application.

Cheers, Rob.

its taking forever just for games to get moved over to direct x 11,by the time games will be direct x 12, something new will be out,remember when dx10 came out, and to this day there are hardly any games that use it.i wish microsoft or nvidia would completely end support for directx 9.i am excited what direct x 12 can do, but its getting developers off there butts to use it.as far as windows 10 goes,i am using the latest build which is 10130, not the newest leaked build, and its the most unstable build i have used.the start menu doesn't work right for me at all, and memeory errors during shut down.i don't think the july 29th release date is ready.the forced updates is another thing people are not gonna be happy about.there simply is no way to choose what windows updates to install.you are forced to take all windows 10 updates.

but its getting developers off there butts to use it.

FYI, developers would love to use DX12 ... in fact most developers love to use anything that is "new" ... it's NOT the developers that is the hold up, it's end users.  End users dictate the pace of the "shift" in DX APIs, 32bit/64bit, OS, etc. ... to this day I'm willing to guess that Most end users don't have DX11 capable hardware/GPUs.  Heck WinXP was the dominant OS until very recently (and that's only because Microsoft dropped support for it).

Trust me when I say developers would LOVE to see end users keep up with the program - it would make our life considerably easier, but that just doesn't happen in the real world.

July 29th release to public is going to happen and RTM for MSDN subscribers will be end of June.  It's happening like it or not.  But to honest, I've not experienced any of the Win10 issues you have reported ... memory errors? ... sounds more like a hardware issue or overclock issue.  

"Leaked build?"  there is no "leaked build" ... if you sign up for Windows Insider program you can get more recent builds, but these aren't "leaked", they're intentional releases.

Cheers, Rob.

i am with the insider preview, 10130 is the current insider build, 10147 is the current leaked build from today,i installed windows 10 on 2 different machines and had the same memory errors on shut down with 10130, i downloaded and installed 10147 and the problem went away.if microsoft would dump operating systems sooner i agree developers probably would use the newer technology.you don't have to be rich to upgade to newer hardware, i make just over a grand a month and thats it because i am on disability, but i manage to try and keep up.i also agree the leaked builds are put out there on purpose as you say, i have learned alot from you rob, i was just throwing out my thoughts :-)

i agree developers probably would use the newer technology.you don't have to be rich to upgade to newer hardware, i make just over a grand a month and thats it because i am on disability

You betcha we want to do new stuff ... I often get bored stiff grudging my way thru coding/designing apps that for the most part don't represent a great design/code challenge but do generate revenue for my company.  I'm always trying to get approval for coding/designing "new" stuff -- attempting to present a business justification which is tenuous ... but I want to do it because it's new.

A recent example is Intel's RealSense SDK, face recognition (read no more login/password required) and head/hand tracking (app can response to hand gesture without touch screen or touching a keyboard).  I tried hard to get approval to integrate this into one of our apps, unfortunately it ended up in what I call priority 10 queue ... meaning highly unlikely it'll ever see the light of day.  Majority of our end users just don't want this kinda technology "right now".

I may still code something for it and see if I can get it working in P3D because I'm NOT a big fan of strapping things to my head or wearing hats, just not comfortable and to be blunt, I can't see that ever having a long term appeal to the masses ... that's why I don't think Occulus will ever be anything more than niche.  The masses don't want to put devices on their head for many many reasons.

Cheers, Rob.

I wonder if this in itself would be a reason to get a new graphics card
 Your card is DX12 card.  There are just a few features that it won't support.  

DX12 is not as much a hardware upgrade as it is a software upgrade to to fix one of MS's greatest screw-ups in the last decade.  It doesn't even really have to do with graphics cards or their capabilities -They're just sweeping their mistake under that carpet - it's about fibers running on the CPU.  It's just convenient that most of the software that is that demanding on a CPU is also using the graphics card in a demanding way these days (games) - à la scapegoat.

that's why I don't think Occulus will ever be anything more than niche

Reports now say that release version is now put over your head like a baseball cap, and is much lighter than previous dev kits.  

I've been using a Note 4 and Homido headset, and I'm getting fanatical about it.  Just haven't had any time to tune it in, but I have all the methods to do it dialed in with a few scripts and things.  With the Note 4 I can read the guages just fine, using DSR to smooth things out a bit.  NVidia streams to my phone through Trinus VR, and I have a homebuilt three LED thinging hanging on the Homido, but you could use a Track IR.  Although for 3 degrees of movement, no xyz, but panning, trinus sends along the cell phone accelerometer data to programs like OpenTrack (allows full 180 degrees turn).  Also, you would need a program like Tridef (use default) to get the side-by-side 3d.  Then use the Oculus shader that comes with P3D.  SLI brings it all up to speed perfectly.

It really felt strange at first to have to actually turn my neck to look out and around through the side windows.   I mean, to really have to turn your neck, and not turn your chair with  you because you're holding a yoke to fly.  I imagine it's like an astronaut that has returned to Earth and forgotten how gravity works.  I forgot how it really felt to turn my neck, and it took some effort to look behind me.   

I have three nice big 27" screens, and created a shader to get rid of the stretching that everyone with three screens complains about on the side, and visually the realism is awesome (no distortion - as screens get larger so does the default distortion)  But with VR in am IN THE COCKPIT, not looking through a nice big window into it.  Everything in the cockpit is clickable.  And you can lean in a bit to read small radio panels if your eyes are lame bad like mine (heh).

I am a bit worried after a long flight I might look a little goofy with the safety mask mark on my face, but I haven't looked to see if I actually have one and nobody has every said anything to me about it.  The Homido really is comfortable enough even for the long haul.  But if it is matter of slipping a baseball cap style device over my head that rests over my eyes comfortably, and allowing people to see multiple virtual screens in front of them, like the virtual desktop apps out (trinus vr has one), then ... well ... people used to think cell phones were weird.  And how can people send text so fast on that tiny little keyboard with their thumbs - that will never take off.

Sony, HTC, Microsoft, Facebook, Valve, EA (just about every major game dev company) seems to be betting on it and racing to get a foothold like it's VHS vs Beta.   It is not just another shiny object.

i am with the insider preview

I am too on my dell laptop, but the last update failed, and it's been pretty lame having it fail and having to backtrack to an earlier version.  The lame part is that these builds install without asking, and it keeps trying to reinstall the last build that failed to install before, endless loop.  I guess I could stop that by getting out of the fast track.

I also tried to install over a perfectly new/clean windows 8.1 install on my desktop, my simming platform (also my where I run my virtual development machines).  It won't take, and I may have to do a clean install there.  

So far I've been frustrated by Windows 10 on the 2-in-1 laptop/tablet.  Tablet mode is really lacking in windows 10.  They still don't have it right.  I do like the multiple desktops a lot which is why I installed it. 

Denali : do you have created an improved version of your program?

I still have the one from a year ago and you then wrote about improving it to get rid of the grainness and make it sharpen.

What it does is incredible!

In my 2/3 full size cockpit the outside world looks correct now.

I have no problem paying for it .

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Your card is DX12 card. There are just a few features that it won't support.

DX12 is not as much a hardware upgrade as it is a software upgrade to to fix one of MS's greatest screw-ups in the last decade. It doesn't even really have to do with graphics cards or their capabilities -They're just sweeping their mistake under that carpet - it's about fibers running on the CPU. It's just convenient that most of the software that is that demanding on a CPU is also using the graphics card in a demanding way these days (games) - à la scapegoat.

Interesting.

Well, I guess that's good news since that means I don't need to spend $649 :smile:

Richard Åsberg

What is the real advantage of Windows 10 and DirectX 12  until Lockheed Martin approves PreparD for Windows 12 and changes its code to accept DirectX 12 enahancements?